What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

SI article re: St. Joe's refusal to release Todd O'Brien under graduate transfer rule

My brother in law is a St Joe's alum and fan who also cheers for the Buffs. Here is what he had to say:

There is so much to this story it’s hard to know where to start.

I will say, I don’t know why Phil and AD Don DiJulia took the hard line with TOB, but I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. While I have sometimes taken issue with their basketball decisions (scheduling, Xs and Os and the like), Phil and Don are STAND UP guys.

Read this article first:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...t-joes-vs-obrien-but-we-dont-know-whole-story

And then consider this opinion posted on the Hawk Board from a fan of our ARCH RIVAL, Villanova, whom we just pounded on Saturday:

Subject: Occupy: Birmingham

Sounds to me like TOB should be a founding father at Occupy: Birmingham. Pretty obvious TOB feels entitled to whatever he wants - regardless of how it impacts others and pesky little nits like "the rules".

"Sure, I got Bucknell, SJU and UAB to give me free rides, but I deserve more. I don't care that I screwed St. Joe's by promising to stay on the team, keep that roster spot, take some summer classes, work out, then bolt. Sure, I may have taken part in some extracurricular activities with my buddy Swilling that made the university look bad. Sure, the NCAA reviewed this issue twice and said no. But this is all St. Joe's, Phil Martelli and Don DiJulia's fault. They are the 1%, and they are screwing me. I played absolutely no part in the predicament I'm in. Woe is me. Crestfallen."

Another big issue is that this is a puff, one-sided opinion piece, marketed as journalism. People will read that not as "opinion", but as "fact". Fits right in with this Occupy BS.

I’ll also forward you the SJU President’s statement. (SEE BOTTOM OF THIS ENTRY)

Bottom line: there are two sides to every story.

I think this story will go away but it is a shame because this team (8-3) is so young, exciting and likable...and coming off of wins against #17 Creighton and Villanova with #24 Harvard on the horizon. Check out this highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsXMxvhb8I

Dear Alumni and Friends,

Many of you have seen or commented upon a first-person story appearing yesterday on the web site of Sports Illustrated magazine. The story was submitted by a former Saint Joseph’s University student-athlete whose request in mid-July 2011 for a waiver to play basketball at another institution during 2011-2012 was not supported by Saint Joseph’s.

I write to assure our students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends that Saint Joseph’s complied with all applicable NCAA procedures in this case. It is clearly not a part of the University’s mission to block any student from pursuing their academic or athletic goals. However, it is the University’s obligation to review all student-athlete waiver requests in a consistent manner and to evaluate the facts and circumstances of each request. It is worth noting that SJU has supported such requests a large majority of the time across its many varsity sports. If a request for a waiver is not granted and an appeal is taken to the NCAA, it is the national association, not individual member institutions, which makes the final determination on the eligibility of individual student-athletes.

Federal law and the University’s own student privacy guidelines necessarily limit what the University can make public in matters involving individual students. Such limitation applies to the current matter and the University is mindful of its obligation to all its students, including former ones, regarding their privacy.

What can be appropriately shared regarding this matter is that Saint Joseph’s did provide all relevant information to the NCAA Legislative Relief Waiver Team, which, as a matter of public record, made an initial decision not to grant the requested waiver. Upon further appeal by the student-athlete, the Division I Legislative Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief concurred with the initial review and made its final decision to deny the appeal. As only the student-athlete and his new university were parties to the appeal, Saint Joseph’s will not make any public statements regarding the appeal and its outcome.

Finally, I would be remiss in not acknowledging the consistent dedication -- to all students and alumni of Saint Joseph’s University -- that is displayed every day by athletics director Don DiJulia and men’s basketball coach Phil Martelli. These are men who are respected across the nation for their actions and priorities. We also acknowledge the contributions while on Hawk Hill of the student-athlete in this case, and regret the differences of opinion that led to his dissatisfaction with Saint Joseph’s.

Sincerely,

John W. Smithson ’68, ’82 (M.B.A.)
Interim President

St Joes is playing this really wrong. The media is trying to get to the bottom of this and the school is refusing to give their side of the story:

from the cbs.sportsline article:

So I called DiJulia on Monday night and asked him two questions."First," I asked him, "why are you playing hardball with Todd O'Brien?"
"What's your second question?" DiJulia said.
"Did Martelli really threaten to have O'Brien dropped from the last class he needed to graduate? And if so, when will you be firing Martelli?"
Those were blunt questions, but I've learned from my own missteps

I/we don't know the full story or probably anything close to it and the kid may be a full fledged manipulating jerk.

That said both the school and their fans are coming across as vindictive idiots, there is no way to make their stance look good. If they didn't want the kid to leave they should never have given him the papers giving permission to contact other schools, once they did that they were dead in this issue.

The kid is not that good a player, he wouldn't have made a big difference for St. Joes and won't make a big difference for UAB. What he will do is continue to make St. Joes look bad to the rest of the country and prospective recruits as long as this thing continues to linger. There is probably fault to be found on both sides but the school is supposed to be the bigger, more mature side. Instead they come across as whiney and bent on revenge against a student-athlete. Very dumb on their part.

This has witch hunt written all over it. Sounds a lot like a former female kicker we used to have around these parts.

Back