1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signature win.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffLuKe, Oct 16, 2013.

1. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

It's been talked about a lot and rightfully so. CU needs one in the worst way. Scratch off Ucla and Udub, we aren't winning those. Who is it gonna be? Beating USC would be a good one, they are a big name program. I just don't see a road win, maybe Utah? They aren't the team all the time that beat Stanford. What do u guys think?

2. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

The problem with beating USC is that the loss might drop them down to 7-6 or even 6-7. That's hardly a signature win except for the name of the program, and the fact we can't ever seem to beat them. Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly take the win, but it wouldn't get us any attention nationally.

3. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

When was our last signature win? OU back in 07? UGA wasn't that good when we beat them and neither was WVU.

4. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

True it isn't a top flight USC team but I don't believe we've ever beaten them before. Getting nationally recognized again is awhile down the road lol. I think it would be a good win for the program to beat them tho.

5. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Look for a signature win in 2014 or 2015.

6. krom

krom Club Member Club Member

I dont see a win vs USC the talent gap is far too great and that alone will be enough for them to win handily.

7. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Charleston Southern! Kidding. I didn't really see an opportunity for one this year, outside of maybe USC. That's a big win simply because.........they're USC. This year is all about building. While conference play has been rough, progress is there. We've already beaten CSU and Central Arky (which is a huge improvement over losing to CSU and Sac State last year). Get another win or two and this year is a success. Better opportunities for big W's next year. Washington, UCLA, Oregon State all come here.

8. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

eh, basically any p12 win outside of Cal would be huge.

9. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

this.

You guys are getting ahead of yourselves.

10. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

We are so bad, even a signature win would be interpreted as a fluke, like fatbuf having a cogent thought.

11. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Even Wazzou beat UDub last year

12. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Is a signature win really a signature win if you're not even bowling that year?

Seems to me if we had a 'signature win' this year, the story would be more about how the other team lost than we won. That, and it would be passed off as a fluke.

Give it a couple of years.

13. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

This, and

This. If we even get a win at this point it is monumental.

I view a signature win as a signal that we are competitive and on our way up. Not sure we are very close to that at this point.

14. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Yes. Look at Stanford's '07 win over USC. They were coming off a 1-11 season with the lone win over Washington. They got blown out by everyone they'd played in conference so far. It was a night game and everyone in the country still watching switched over to see them upset powerhouse USC. The win said "we're not they're yet, but we're moving in the right direction".

BuffAlum2007 likes this.
  15. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Unfortunate but I do not see a signature win on the horizon this year. I would love for it to be a USC or UCLA just because of the Pac12 recruiting footprint / Cali kids. Next year CU should be able to compete for a signature win hopefully. We might just have to start off with a small signature win.

16. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

BTW - We need to avoid those signature losses at this point of the process.

17. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I would like to see us beat C. Southern and California. Those would be wins that will help the program move to a direction where they can look to upset a big boy in the next two years.

18. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

UCLA is our best hope for a true signature win this year. I don't think USC counts. They just fired their coach for crissakes. Plus, if we can go on the road, into the Rose Bowl, and take one from the two time South champion, in a game they'd be heavily favored in, that would turn people's heads.

19. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

A last drive come back win would show me a lot.

20. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

hopefully not necessary this week.

21. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

We just need wins at this point.

22. seattlebuff

seattlebuff Well-Known Member

Any win is big for us, even this weekend. Any Pac-12 win would be huge. WSU last year was a fluke, pure and simple.

23. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

It wasn't a fluke. But WSU was in the middle of a coaching change at that point in time (their 4th game under Mike Leach). CU got them at the right time, that's for sure.

24. seattlebuff

seattlebuff Well-Known Member

Disagree. It's been stated many times elsewhere that the Jones and Kasa plays - which happen only because of total busted coverage - happen maybe 1 out of a 100 times. Both of them happening in the last 7 minutes? Exponential. If Leach elects to kick a FG two different times in the 4Q instead of stupidly going for it, the game is over also. It all adds up to fluke. But I'll admit our last drive and especially the QB sneak was balls.

25. VABuff5

VABuff5 Member

I was thinking about this last night, and I may be biased because I was at the game, but I'd have to say that Georgia game. That was a win that could have been huge for recruiting I believe....anyone remember that AJ Green catch in that game?!

26. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

[video=youtube;h2DXPALzcio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2DXPALzcio[/video]

27. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

A signature win does not happen the first year. You have to build your culture and have players buy into it then when they have success through executing then the light goes on and the team builds on that success. I have only seen what I would call a signature win once at CU...the 1986 game with Nebraska - after that things were different. I am not sure I even believe in signature wins. We had a nice win against OU in 2007 but that was all it was - later in that season we were still seeing no success.

28. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

They were like 1-4 coming into that game

29. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Signature win? Maybe in 2015. Enjoy Saturday. We're not winning again until 2014.

30. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

People need to start leaving their spats in the Pol forum. This **** is getting old.