1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

signature wins in the hawkins era...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Liver, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

so, i couldn't sleep last night and i started reflecting on the "positives" of the hopefully soon-to-be-ended 4 year hawkins era. unfortunately, it just started to depress me even more about the state of the program and how far and fast we are falling.

tell me if you disagree with the following:

year 1: no signature wins. came close v. uga. all in all, a dismal season.

year 2: BIG win over ou. that one was for real. the sooners were very good that year and went on to finish the season strong too. i remember when i thought that was going to be the turning point. in terms of quality of signature wins, this one is a 9 on a scale of 1-10.

year 3: wvu. they turned out to be weaker than they appeared at the time, but still a quality win over a major program. i'd rate this one about a 7 on the quality of signature wins scale.

year 4: thus far, some people point to ku as a signature win, but the way they are falling, it looks more and more suspect as the season unfolds. for the sake of argument, i'll rank this as a signature win but it only rates about a 4 on the quality scale. a win over osu away would be a good one.

in any case, you see how this is going? as the failures mount, what rates as a signature win seems to be going down. ou = year 2, no doubt, but ku in year 4 = very questionable.

we just aren't going in the right direction. newsflash, i know...

GO BUFFS!

2. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

They also beat Tech on the road in 2007. I'd probably put that one just ahead of or just behind WVU.

3. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

When you lose 2/3 of your games and show no signs of improvement in any facet over 4 years, there are no 'signature' wins. Just occasional upsets.

4. Buffarino

Good point. At the time, I think many of us thought OU and Tech might turn out to be signature wins. But when you revert back to laying turds, it's just a fluke.:sad1:

5. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

That's the thing, if they showed consistent improvement, those would be signature wins, launching points to bigger and better things.

6. PurifydatA$$

PurifydatA$$ Member

I would be totally willing to forego the signature wins to just beat the teams we should be beating (like CSU, Toledo, Montanta State) - it would have a much better impact on the program

7. Liver

i don't know. that was basically what gb delivered the last few years. he generally beat the teams he was supposed to beat and nearly never beat the teams he wasn't supposed to beat.

don't you recall the feelings of total hopelessness when CU faced usc or ou or texas or other heavily favored opponents? it was like they were just trying to keep the game close and hope for a miracle.

that wasn't particularly good for the program either.

8. AllStarBuffs

AllStarBuffs Active Member

I'll take Barnett over Hawkins any day

9. Liver

i would as well, but can't we aim just a bit higher?

10. Buffarino

Honestly, I think what Barnett did here was great and I'd love to just be able to repeat it, minus the scandal bull****. He was competitive with the big teams in 2001 and 2002. It wasn't until the fallout from the recruiting BS and the Hnida remarks that things went south on him.

4 B12 North titles
    1 B12 title

I'd take that again in a second.

11. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I can count as many embarrassing losses as Liver's "signature" wins.

Montana St. '06
    Baylor '06
    Kansas St. '07
    ISU '07
    Toledo and CSU '09
    Getting blown out, and I mean completely humiliated by Mizzou '07 and '08

Need I say more?

12. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

my dad and i had this conversation the week before last. he calls these Hawk's "novelty wins".

dad is hardcore, he went to CU law and is still buddies with a couple guys on the 71 team that he used to hoop with inna day.

13. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

were it not for "the scandal" and some stouter efforts on the recruiting trail after the 01 conference title (esp at the QB position), CU could have seized control of the North for the last half-decade. instead, we've got zip and a sackful of losses to the Montana State's and CSU's of the world.

14. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

This. The signature losses outnumber and outweigh the signature wins.

15. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

And the saddest part of all of those, is that only Montana State would consider us a "Signature Win" in their books. The rest of those teams would say the same thing about us that we are saying about Kansas right now.

That's what sucks the most :cry:

16. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Barnett lost quite a few times to Colorado State, and he also lost to Baylor.

Barnett did dominate KU, KSU and Mizzou (16-5 record against those 3 schools) though, something Hawkins has never been able to duplicate.

Barnett knew the importance of running the ball, and was not afraid to run it 40 times a game.

Barnett's folly were his off-the-field problems, and just as these issues ultimately led to his demise, IMO, they will probably ultimately lead to Hawkins survivability (for one more year, at least).

17. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Barnett only lost to CSU one more time than hawk has though.

18. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Not to mention, that was during CSU's heyday.

19. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

That's true. Barnett had more years than Hawkins has had.

1999 - CSU 41 CU 14
    2000 - CSU 28 CU 24
    2001 - CU 41 CSU 14
    2002 - CSU 19 CU 14

20. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

This fondness for GB is PATHETIC!!!! I'm embarrassed by how desperate we have become.

Can you guys honestly say you pine for the days of a 70-3 shellacking in a featured nationally televised CCG?

How about losing to Fresno state?

You really want to go back to "Vickers is a great ball player. We have to find a way to get the ball in his hands," and then he gets 3 carries in the next game?

And my favorite "the coaches are doing their jobs, the players are just not executing" even though we had the worst coordinators in CFG and a HC who refused to acknowledge or do anything about it.

Is that really what you want to go back to?!!!!!

GB was an ass and I don't ever want him back. Desperation is natures worst cologne. If we want a good coach we have to stop thinking like the days of GB were not so bad and start believing that our program deserves better than the last 3 loser HC's we've had. Slick, GB & Hawk...F' em. We can get a winner, let's go get him.

21. pwbuffan

pwbuffan Member

Barnett first 4 years 29-21 which is much better than 16-30 no matter how you slice it. He also had 12 road wins his first 4 seasons. I would take that over 2 any day

22. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Don't hold back, if you bottle all that up inside, one day it will get to you.

23. calibuff81

calibuff81 New Member

I just kind of thought that if we could mark down a game or a few games that would be signature wins it would sort of be like our coming out party where we made our mark and we were gonna step up and play with the big boys. As of today we've made very little if not no progress or it looks like we've even taken a few steps back from beating the highly ranked OU team from a few years back. If i had to give us a signature win i'd have to say winning out on some of the recruits that we got in the past 2 years regardless of how awful our football team and coaching staff has been.

24. pwbuffan

pwbuffan Member

I agree that GB had to go and Hawk needs to go also. Real Buff fans wear Black and Gold according to Hawk well real Buff fans do not accept four straight losing seasons either coach.

25. calibuff81

calibuff81 New Member

Maybe Bohn's waiting for Hawk Sr to graduate with Hawk Jr next year and he can get rid of them together...

26. AllStarBuffs

AllStarBuffs Active Member

I will take a 70-3 loss to #2 Texas led by the unstoppable Vince Young who led his team a few weeks later to victory over USC for the national title ANY day over a loss to Montana state who? and Toledo who?