What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Signs are pointing to Mac, IMO.

This was my fear, Mac's been interviewing for this job for 6 months and there's a lot of support from boosters and former players to bring Mac back. How can Bohn really perform a legit national coaching search under these conditions. He'll wait to announce a hire to give the appearance of performing a real search, but if Mac ends up getting the job, it will be because he landed it in October IMO.

I agree more with this.

It sounds to me like Bohn has been trying to downplay the idea of Mac coming back. While I think it makes a lot of sense both financially and from a coaching stand point, I'm starting to think it is very unlikely. If you are Bohn you have to think you are making yourself completely insignificant within the athletic department once McCartney is on campus.

But at the same time perhaps completely insignificant if he DOESN'T hire McCartney (or Bienemy).

I've read a lot about Mac's 50 page plan on this site. What exactly is it? Did Mac write something about how to get CU football back to the promised land? Was it recent?

Supposedly, McCartney prepared a proposal, describing what he would do to get CU back on top. It was a five year plan. It was supposedly about 50 pages long.

Nobody has actually seen it to know if it really exists or not.

This was a post from another board - Bohn was on a SD sports talk radio today:

On Hoke.
Initially said he has ZERO interest in Brady Hoke - then kinda said
never say never.

Scott Kaplan then went on and gushed about EB said he should be the #1
candidate, perfect hire. Bohn's response was luke warm at best- again
wouldn't read anything into it. (for people who freak about that, no
way Bohn is going to tip his hand on serious candidates, EB is in the
picture)

Scott then went on to say people are talking about Mac? Are you
kidding me? When you have a shot at EB? Dude sold him better than
anyone in Denver has. Bohn said wow, you guys know your Buffs, you are
following us out there.

Kaplan then said so Mike Bohn has confirmed that he has no interest in
Brady Hoke.
Bohn: let me say, its November 11th. As of right now that is the case.
Kaplan: So Mike Bohn has confirmed that EB will be the next HC. Long
pause. No comment.
Kaplan: So that pause means everything, thanks Mike.

Don't take the quotes as verbatim, but that was the gist.

Kaplan and Bill Ray Smith then gushed about EB some more and that was
the end of it.

Keep in mind, Bohn was the SDSU AD and has a rapport with Kaplan and
BR. Better interview than you hear in Denver.

I want an honest search. I can say I do not know who should be the next coach but I want a good search done to find the best candidate. That did not happen last time.

Guys that I could get behind.

- Coach Mac...Probably not my first choice but I could get behind him.
- EB - I think he is ready and would be a good choice.
- Brian Cabral - Like EB, I think he is ready and would make a great HC.

There are other candidates that are out there that I am sure would be good, I just do not know them.

Guys I do not want to see.
- Dave Logan - this would stretch my CU loyalty to the limit. No college or pro level experience.
- Mike Leach - I just don't see him be the right guy. He would be a divider not what CU needs. I know he is a good coach.
- Karl Dorrell - He would be worst than Hawkins, would rather hire and up and comer.

We need someone who can excite the fan base....

I'm not going to debate the merits of hiring Mac. I'm merely pointing out that the signs, as I'm reading them, point in that direction.

Wait, wait... Sportsfan101 said it was somebody nobody is talking about. Didn't you read that?

We just need to get Bieniemy too. I really, really, really think EB is gonna be an incredible HC, I just hope it's here to take over when Mac steps down again.

Mac has been campaigning for the job for the better part of the last six months. Bohn has said he's a viable, serious candidate. A Mac hire is a safe hire. Nobody is going to criticize Bohn for hiring Mac, but they certainly would if he were to hire somebody else who ultimately failed. The kicker for me is the pic we saw of Mac at the Valor/Ponderosa game a few weeks ago. What's he doing there? Well, it would seem obvious that he's there to connect with Berglund and/or Vickers. We get info yesterday that Berglund is 100% committed to CU still.

Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences. At least not when it comes to this kind of thing. I suspect Berglund has been given some indication that Mac is the guy, which led him to re-affirming his commitment.

I have absolutely no inside information. I'm just reading the tea leaves and coming to a conclusion based on what I'm seeing. I suppose I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice before on rare occassions.

I just called your wife to verifiy this and she said it was definetly twice. This morning.

We just need to get Bieniemy too. I really, really, really think EB is gonna be an incredible HC, I just hope it's here to take over when Mac steps down again.

Klatt seems to think EB will be a high end coach within 10 years. Lets hope it is with us.

the idea of hiring a 70 year old coach who has been out of the game for 16 years seems like move of desperation, e.g. they don't have the money to get anybody good or everybody turned them down, the CU job is just not a good job, etc...

And if we do hire him and he doesn't succeed, the legacy isn't as shiny as it use to be for him and we sink further down a black hole as a program.

Supposedly, McCartney prepared a proposal, describing what he would do to get CU back on top. It was a five year plan. It was supposedly about 50 pages long.

Nobody has actually seen it to know if it really exists or not.

Ah, ok. Thanks Slade!

And if we do hire him and he doesn't succeed, the legacy isn't as shiny as it use to be for him and we sink further down a black hole as a program.

Any coach is a risk to sink us further down into a black hole. Mac has earned the right to try because he brought us to heights that we never had experienced at Colorado. With him at least we get a known commodity and lots of donor support.

I think signs are pointing against Mac right now. Take DiStepano's comments in the paper. He said it was Bohn's hire but then added this little tid bit:

Speaking on a teleconference with local media, DiStefano said he’d like to see “a coach who is either successful now as a head coach or has recent coaching experience either with someone from the Pac 12 or the Big 12. Somebody in a conference similar to, if not equal to, the conference that we’re joining.”

This combined with how I believe Bohn is downplaying Mac leaves me to believe he is not the guy and they have already decided to go another way. Here is a link to the article in the post:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/...lely-up-to-athletic-director-mike-bohn/13962/

To be honest I'm surprised there is even a process.

The job is open and the school's most successful coach in history wants the job. How hard is this? It seems like the administration's momentum is going against Mac and I just can't see it sitting well with most fans. Call me crazy but I think Mac has earned the job.

To be honest I'm surprised there is even a process.

The job is open and the school's most successful coach in history wants the job. How hard is this? It seems like the administration's momentum is going against Mac and I just can't see it sitting well with most fans. Call me crazy but I think Mac has earned the job.

you're crazy.

If we bring in Mac, then we name Bieniemy as OC and Cabral as DC. In a few years, you promote the coordinator who has shown the most promise.

Listening to CJ and Chad Brown. Good stuff. Chad, who has played professionaly for Cowher, Belichick and Holmgren. When CJ asked him who the best coach he played for was, he said, no doubt, Mac.

But the big issue on CJ's show is Phil DiSteffano's remark that "(sic) I'll leave it to Mike Bohn but I'd prefer someone who has won or has RECENTLY coached in the Pac or Big XII." Well, it sounds like Phil isn't all that much of a Mac fan. But he also says "its up to Mike Bohn." So, is it "up to Mike" or is it "up to Phil?"

Listening to CJ and Chad Brown. Good stuff. Chad, who has played professionaly for Cowher, Belichick and Holmgren. When CJ asked him who the best coach he played for was, he said, no doubt, Mac.

But the big issue on CJ's show is Phil DiSteffano's remark that "(sic) I'll leave it to Mike Bohn but I'd prefer someone who has won or has RECENTLY coached in the Pac or Big XII." Well, it sounds like Phil isn't all that much of a Mac fan. But he also says "its up to Mike Bohn." So, is it "up to Mike" or is it "up to Phil?"

Distephano also said he wants it to be someone who has coached on a high (BCS) level, and preferrably someone from the Pac12 area. That would eliminate Calhoun from Air Force, and Hoke from San Diego State, but also the guys from the SEC.

Hopefully players from the Mac era bombard Phil with calls and emails now.

Distephano also said he wants it to be someone who has coached on a high (BCS) level, and preferrably someone from the Pac12 area. That would eliminate Calhoun from Air Force, and Hoke from San Diego State, but also the guys from the SEC.

Not quite. He said in the full quote that he would prefer somebody from the Pac/Big 12 or equivalent conference. An SEC coach would definitely qualify.

Bohn the other day on the radio talked about the scene from the Blind Side when Holts, Fulmer, Sabin, etc., all end up knocking on the kids door. Bohn said that he wanted to find a coach that would have that same impact.

If Mac knocks on your door, does the recruit say wow, coach Mac is at my door? Remember that the kids Mac is going to be recruiting were not born when Mac was last coaching.

I love Mac, but I hope that there is a serious nationwide search going on, and would prefer that if CU goes with Mac it was a fallback position because they did not get the coach they really wanted.

He also said "Somebody in a conference similar to, if not equal to, the conference that we’re joining.” -- To me that means SEC is still in play

He also said "Somebody in a conference similar to, if not equal to, the conference that we’re joining.” -- To me that means SEC is still in play

channelling any sec fan: NO. that CANNOT be correct. if he MEANT the sec, he would have side he wanted a coach from the BEST, TOUGHEST, GREATEST, HARDEST, AND ONLY MEANINGFUL conference in the world!

channelling any sec fan: NO. that CANNOT be correct. if he MEANT the sec, he would have side he wanted a coach from the BEST, TOUGHEST, GREATEST, HARDEST, AND ONLY MEANINGFUL conference in the world!

Followed by: "You don't want [coach from another SEC school]. He's a complete idiot."

“a coach who is either successful now as a head coach or has recent coaching experience either with someone from the Pac 12 or the Big 12. Somebody in a conference similar to, if not equal to, the conference that we’re joining."

I have to say it cracks me up how Distephano says he is going to let Bohn pick, but then throws a whole bunch of expectations on his decision!

Back