What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Simmons and Wide Receivers - Exciting

AlferdJasper

I almost missed this, but ... down at the bottom of the page ...

On Friday, Colorado also welcomed the return of senior wideout Andre Simmons, who successfully overcame academic hurdles during the final summer term that ended Friday. Sophomore tight end Clark Evans watched practice in street clothes and apparently is awaiting test scores.

Welcome back from academic limbo, Andre!

This is what our Wide Receiver corps looks like (did I miss anyone):

New in August 2010:
80 (?) Paul Richardson WR 6-1 175
-- Travon Patterson WR 5-9 170 (awaiting final clearance)

31 Canty, Keenan .... WR 5-9 155 Fr.
35 Cefalo, Kyle .......... WR 5-10 175 Jr.
47 Celestine, Kendrick . WR 5-11 180 Jr.
17 Clemons, Toney ... WR 6-2 210 Jr.
89 Conte, Mario .......WR 5-10 175 So.
82 Darden, Jarrod .... WR 6-4 210 Fr.
83 Ebner, Dustin ......WR 6-1 180 So.
15 Espinoza, Jason .... WR 5-8 175 Jr.
16 Jefferson, Will ...... WR 5-11 190 So.
21 McKnight, Scotty . WR 5-11 185 Sr.
1 Simmons, Andre .... WR 6-2 200 Sr.
86 Turbow, Alex ... WR 6-1 205 Fr.

Is it okay to GET EXCITED for this season now?:dance:
I thought just getting Clemons was a coup, but I'm getting dizzy thinking of all the talent on hand.

Agree with you on this front. If our line can block and one of these guys and toss the rock, we should be pretty leathal with the pass. May even open some lanes for Speedy. This has given me some hope as we should be able to move it down field with the pass.

so, Kendrick Celestine is on the team too? no problems? as a walk on? is that right?

i am rooting for that kid as well. i admire him for coming back and taking the lumps. especially as a walkon and making sure his kid was taken care of. (assuming i have the story right). he could turn out to be one heck of a story. best wishes to him. :gobuffs:

I have to admit it. The next coach will inherit some decent talent. Hope he wont say the cupboards were bare and that the program had been burnt to the ground, or make up other excuses for not winning.

Man, with this kind of talent in the hands of a decent coach, the Buffs might start seeing more W's than L's by season's end.

so, Kendrick Celestine is on the team too? no problems? as a walk on? is that right?

i am rooting for that kid as well. i admire him for coming back and taking the lumps. especially as a walkon and making sure his kid was taken care of. (assuming i have the story right). he could turn out to be one heck of a story. best wishes to him. :gobuffs:

He earned his scholarship back, I think in December. He came back to school, got eligible, paid his own way, worked at a grocery store and proved himself to Hawkins.

cool! good news! i hope he makes the best of it.

I can't remember where, but someone who "friended" him posted a note from his facebook page where he said he is thankful every day for his second chance and extolling the beautiful life he was living. He sounded very sincere, very positive and appreciative. Must have been humbling bagging groceries instead of getting a monthly stipend. Don't think he will take this opportunity for granted.

I'm also hoping for a great ending to his story.

I can't remember where, but someone who "friended" him posted a note from his facebook page where he said he is thankful every day for his second chance and extolling the beautiful life he was living. He sounded very sincere, very positive and appreciative. Must have been humbling bagging groceries instead of getting a monthly stipend. Don't think he will take this opportunity for granted.

That was me. I admire this kid.

its a sad thing when kids have to grow up quick. however, when they do grow up and meet thier responsibilities head on, and do thier best to better thier lot in life, we should all stand up and applaud thier efforts. KC may or may not make the NFL. the odds do not favor that. however, he can do so much good by using this oppertunity to get a degree from the U of Colorado and become a positive example for kids as time goes by. by doing so, every person in society benefits from it and most importantly, his kids. i wish him well.

Congrats to Mr. Simmons. That. is. Awesome! Good for him.

Alferd, something you posted in another thread made me wonder if you have updated information regarding Clark Evans?

Congrats to Mr. Simmons. That. is. Awesome! Good for him.

Alferd, something you posted in another thread made me wonder if you have updated information regarding Clark Evans?

not really, just that I originally heard he was academically ineligible for sure. Now the bottom line is he is waiting for one test score from summer. He is thatclose on being eligible or not.
Seems impossible that a test score could thwart the great Evans, we'll see. I would still like to see him take the field one of these days, in whichever position they let him contribute.

New in August 2010:

I thought just getting Clemons was a coup, but I'm getting dizzy thinking of all the talent on hand.

sorry to be a buzzkill, but i'm still skeptical about the ability of this staff to use the talent they have effectively on game day...

remember how pumped we were prior to the last couple seasons because most of us (except for VJ nostradamus and a few others) were looking forward to pounding the rock all day? now the pendulum appears to have swung the other way...

that being said....i am ****ing ready for some football!!

Last edited:
sorry to be a buzzkill, but i'm still skeptical about the ability of this staff to use the talent they have effectively on game day...

remember how pumped we were prior to the last couple seasons because most of us (except for VJ nostradamus and a few others) were looking forward to pounding the rock all day? now the pendulum appears to have swung the other way...

that being said....i am ****ing ready for some football!!

That's why we're all excited, FC. Now that we have some electric receivers we can concentrate on pounding the rock. Try to keep up.

That's why we're all excited, FC. Now that we have some electric receivers we can concentrate on pounding the rock. Try to keep up.

:lol::lol:

i think you missed my point about the past ineptitude of this staff, wally...

i'll see you at the finish line...

I think it's ok to caution on your optimism.

Our OL was horrible last year, and they had more experience than the year before that, where we were playing freshmen left and right. Our WR threats were nil. Without Simas early, we had no chance to have Defenses respect the passing game.

Cody has some shortcoming, but put him in a lineup devoid of outside threats and speed, and with a front line that had 4 guys making their 1st college starts at those positions, and we were on CRACK to be expecting anything on offense. Throw in that Johnson seemed to take what experience he had backwards and it was ugly. It was like the fair fight scene.

2010 - we may have those WR threats. Still, we have seen little from Simmons and WillJeff last year. We've yet to see what Clemons, Patterson, Cefalo, and Richardson bring. And who knows what Celestine can add? We got a lot more guys to hang our hopes on vs. just the great coming of Andre Simmons - but it's still just hopes.

I think it's ok to caution on your optimism.

Our OL was horrible last year, and they had more experience than the year before that, where we were playing freshmen left and right. Our WR threats were nil. Without Simas early, we had no chance to have Defenses respect the passing game.

Cody has some shortcoming, but put him in a lineup devoid of outside threats and speed, and with a front line that had 4 guys making their 1st college starts at those positions, and we were on CRACK to be expecting anything on offense. Throw in that Johnson seemed to take what experience he had backwards and it was ugly. It was like the fair fight scene.

2010 - we may have those WR threats. Still, we have seen little from Simmons and WillJeff last year. We've yet to see what Clemons, Patterson, Cefalo, and Richardson bring. And who knows what Celestine can add? We got a lot more guys to hang our hopes on vs. just the great coming of Andre Simmons - but it's still just hopes.

i agree with everything you said...especially the bolded part.

you left out the part about the complete inability of our staff to get the tight ends into the game plan effectively last year, though...that would have taken some heat off of the backfield and the receiving corps imho...

Pretty sure you realize I wasn't saying that Simmons was the best, or most important WR on the team, but I just titled the thread this way so I could mention he got cleared (which is a relief for him as a decent guy as well as a plus for the buffs) and open the thread into my enthusiasm for how deep our WR chart is at the moment. (A thread called "Simmons got his grades up, Yay!" seemed kind of lame.)

I'm getting excited about the possibilities -- can't imagine how the QBs feel to have so many real options when they are looking to make a play.

Sorry to crap on your parade, AJ...my bad.

I'll catch your enthusiasm in a couple weeks!

Sorry to crap on your parade, AJ...my bad.

I'll catch your enthusiasm in a couple weeks!

You didn't have to say it twice.

I didn't.

predator04.jpg

I almost missed this, but ... down at the bottom of the page ...

Welcome back from academic limbo, Andre!

New in August 2010:

Somehow I see Espinoza being the #1 guy after all of the lunch pails have been brought out.....

if espy only sees the field as a slot wr, i have no problem with him being out there.

slot does not = #1 guy.... with these players and "rated talent," McKnight is your slot/ possession guy..... on the bench. This list is far different in height and weight than we have had over the previous few years. Our receivers from last year should already be behind Patterson, Richardson, Simmons, & Clemons. We had NO speed last year.

This list is far different in height and weight than we have had over the previous few years.

Yes. Here's the list by height. Six guys over 6 ft.

82 Darden, Jarrod ..….... WR 6-4 210 Fr.
17 Clemons, Toney ….... WR 6-2 210 Jr.
1 Simmons, Andre …...... WR 6-2 200 Sr.
86 Turbow, Alex …........ WR 6-1 205 Fr.
80 (?) Paul Richardson .…WR 6-1 175 Fr.
83 Ebner, Dustin ..….......WR 6-1 180 So.
16 Jefferson, Will .…...... WR 5-11 190 So.
21 McKnight, Scotty ….. WR 5-11 185 Sr.
47 Celestine, Kendrick ... WR 5-11 180 Jr.
89 Conte, Mario ............WR 5-10 175 So.
35 Cefalo, Kyle .…......... WR 5-10 175 Jr.
__ Travon Patterson …....WR 5-9 170 Sr.
31 Canty, Keenan ...…... WR 5-9 155 Fr.
15 Espinoza, Jason …..... WR 5-8 175 Jr.

slot does not = #1 guy.... with these players and "rated talent," McKnight is your slot/ possession guy..... on the bench. This list is far different in height and weight than we have had over the previous few years. Our receivers from last year should already be behind Patterson, Richardson, Simmons, & Clemons. We had NO speed last year.

C'mon, guys, Espy will be double, sometimes triple-covered so we can get the ball to Clemons. Our coaching staff is sneaky that way. :thumbsup:

The thing I like to see is how spread out the talent in this class and we won't have 4 people graduate and then have all RS Frosh or True Frosh filling in gaps.

lots of good talent looking to catch the ball....NOW LETS GET THEM THE F-IN BALL!! Gunna be a good season....I'm feelin it!

ummm.. we are gonna have to score alot to keep up with the defense.....

ummm.. we are gonna have to score alot to keep up with the defense.....

ummm. we are going to need a coach that will actually play his talent instead of letting it wither on the bench. we have the same coach this year as the last 4 years in case anyone was wondering.

Back