What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Simmons as potential Kick/Punt Returner?

BuffNut99

Club Member
Club Member
I really liked what I read in Ringo's latest blog:

http://buffzone.pmpblogs.com/

for a couple of reasons. I like the fact that a) J.Smith was seemingly pretty cool w/ Simmons about his plans and not bashing the school (he really could have) and b) Simmons has return experience and is interested in the job, in addition to being our star wideout. All indications are looking good for this kid to be here and to be able to contribute immensely.

With limited depth, I really do not think it is a good idea to have a WR returning kicks.

I agree - put a RB back there or find a DB. Kicks are easy to catch and there's a long list of guys who can do it. PR is a lot tougher and I think Espy has that one nailed.

With his reported speed I would have liked to see Polk get a shot at PR/KR.

Nah, I would hate see Polk get hurt on special teams. We need his talent in other areas. JMHO.

I'm of the mind that the best returner should be back there, regardless of depth at their position, especially at KR. I'm guessing more players are hurt running patterns across the middle than are being tackled on a kick return.

That being said, if the rationale was to avoid exposing a more valuable player to injury, why on Earth would you put Speedy back there in lieu of a receiver? He was a hell of a lot more valuable to us last season than any single wr.

I'm of the mind that the best returner should be back there, regardless of depth at their position, especially at KR. I'm guessing more players are hurt running patterns across the middle than are being tackled on a kick return.

That being said, if the rationale was to avoid exposing a more valuable player to injury, why on Earth would you put Speedy back there in lieu of a receiver? He was a hell of a lot more valuable to us last season than any single wr.

KR is a bit safer then PR.

Put Lockridge and Sumler back to return kicks. And then put Stewart or Espinoza back to return punts.

Sumler is the lead blocker like he was for Smith last year and Lockridge takes over Smith's role (Straight line runner with great speed). Stewart/Espinoza are both shifty/smaller guys that can make unblocked defenders miss.

Put Lockridge and Sumler back to return kicks. And then put Stewart or Espinoza back to return punts.

Sumler is the lead blocker like he was for Smith last year and Lockridge takes over Smith's role (Straight line runner with great speed). Stewart/Espinoza are both shifty/smaller guys that can make unblocked defenders miss.

Flip Stewart and Lockridge and I am down. Stewart (so the rumor goes) doesn't have great hands on PR, nor is he the guy you want standing there waiting for the ball to drop into his hands so that a defender can smoke him.

Give him KR's where he has time to make the catch and he can use his speed and size to hide behind his blockers and find seams.

On PR, his injury risk goes up and his hands aren't as good (ie muffs)

Back