What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Since we all are doing it, here are my top 4 candidates

My thoughts on possibilities
June Jones- Guys a winner and doing well at SMU, but I recall they gave him a good contract. Could be tough, but has weak ties to Denver (offensive coordinator of Denver Gold)

Jim Leavitt- Has overachieved at South Florida but has spent close to 15 years there. Great defensive coach.

Dana Holgorsen- Young, great offensive mind, should be able to get him cheap.

Tom Cable- People have stopped laughing at us because they don't pay attention anymore. This would bring back the attention for a couple days.

I dont think Muschamp would get a raise. He's making a BUNCH as coach in waiting for Macky, and, thats a dream job when he gets it. Doubt he'd throw that away. I'd put the chances of getting Muschamp at 0.

:yeahthat:

Why the hell would Muschamp leave UT when he's next in line to take over one of the to programs in the country?

I think Holtz would be a good hire but ECU just signed him to a new contract after he turned down Syracuse last year so I don't know how much that buyout would get in the way. Plus I don't know if I could get past the fact that he's an ND grad. :huh:

I've always liked the idea of Strong since he was first brought up on this board a while back.

My thoughts on possibilities
June Jones- Guys a winner and doing well at SMU, but I recall they gave him a good contract. Could be tough, but has weak ties to Denver (offensive coordinator of Denver Gold)

Jim Leavitt- Has overachieved at South Florida but has spent close to 15 years there. Great defensive coach.

Dana Holgorsen- Young, great offensive mind, should be able to get him cheap.

Tom Cable- People have stopped laughing at us because they don't pay attention anymore. This would bring back the attention for a couple days.

I'd avoid Leavitt. He has made his living off of recruits that couldn't qualify at other schools, especially in the SEC. Look at that roster, its full of players that are at USF only for the reason that they couldn't qualify in the SEC. Quite a few Bama or Ark commits off the top of my head. I just don't believe he could actually do well at a school with academic standards.

I like:

Charlie Strong: great defense, not so sure about personality

Charlie Strong has a very mild-mannered demeanor. Exudes class. I like the guy. He'd fit in well in Boulder and might actually be interested in the job. It's well known that he wants to be a head coach and many feel that his inter-racial marriage may have hurt him in the SEC job hunt. Obviously, Coloradans are pretty "live and let live" folks, so that would have zero bearing here. Worth an interview, IMO.

Kelly ain't leaving Cincy for Boulder. No upside for him.

Gary Patterson's lived all over the USA taking jobs on the east coast, west coast, and everywhere in between. He might be interested, especially since he's not in a BCS conference and he might feel that he can get Texans to finally come to Boulder again.

Troy Calhoun, Air Force, will also probably get a look. He is a zoomie graduate so luring him away might be difficult. He may pull a DeBerry and be there for 20+ years.

0% chance = Muschamp. Mack's got a couple of years left at best, then he takes over. Why leave?

1% chance - Embree/EB. Barnett era ended badly. They are tainted. Sorry.

Anyone that mentions Dave Logan should be required to prove that they are not presently in a sexual relationship with Woody Paige. A high school coach, really???? WTF.

1% chance - Embree/EB. Barnett era ended badly. They are tainted. Sorry.

It could be argued that the GB era went to **** because they left. Our 2002 class with them as the primary recruiters was #10 in the country (Rivals) and the 2003 class they put together and then poached from a bit (Maurice Jones-Drew, et al) after they left for UCLA was still ranked #19. Since then, classes have averaged in the 40s at CU. Scandal had a huge impact, but don't discount the loss of those guys.

I don't know much about Strong, seems to have a lot of people that he has turned off with the comments about how his marriage meant no coaching jobs. Some others have also said that he has some outrageous demands for his first coaching job like: $2 mill a year, job in the south, recruiting hotbed. etc. I think his defenses are awesome and I don't care if he has a white wife or not so as long as he can recruit and not be a total douche and run a clean program, I like him.

I think there's reason for Kelly to leave Cincy, it's obviously not a great job. They're trying to work on things like facilities and such, but at the end of the day they'll never be more than a blimp on the radar in Ohio. They could go undefeated this year and not have a chance at the BCS. Now whether or not he sees CU as a real step up to the big time is another question altogether. I don't think there's any chance he feels the need to bolt to come here when he can just wait around for a really big time job to open up. If ND gets rid of Weis in the next year or two I bet he's candidate #1 for them.

Yeah, like buffnik said, I'd give that group a much higher chance than 1%. Bohn knows who or what was responsible for the mess I'm sure. I doubt Embree or EB would stand for that kind of silly crap going on. I'd like to see Embree get his shot with EB as his OC/RB coach. If not anything else, we'd recruit like we haven't been able to in many many years. We'd get some serious speed on the field.

It could be argued that the GB era went to **** because they left. Our 2002 class with them as the primary recruiters was #10 in the country (Rivals) and the 2003 class they put together and then poached from a bit (Maurice Jones-Drew, et al) after they left for UCLA was still ranked #19. Since then, classes have averaged in the 40s at CU. Scandal had a huge impact, but don't discount the loss of those guys.

bingo.. we definitely were going to get Drew.. :huh:

I've been against Embree but where we are now and if it brings EB back to the program in some capacity, I'll deal with it..

Nik, I'm with you on Embree & EB. Your point on recruiting is dead accurate and I'd love to have 'em back in Boulder, just don't see it happening.

Rabbitt, you never know what someone will value when making job decisions. However, from my perspectice Cincy is already in a BCS conference, it's entrance standards are "sign or make your mark here", and he has a top 10 program right now. Or he could come to CU and try to rebuild a program while fighting admissions and budget constraints.

Valid points, I just don't think Cincy is the job. It all depends on what he wants though. Does he want a chance at BCS championships? Does he love the school enough to stay? Does he want to take a stab at a SEC/Big 12 job? And if he wants those, does he want to go to an already established powerhouse or would he be into a reclamation project where he can put his name on the program.

I'm not saying he's coming here, in fact I doubt he wants to come here, but I think the possibility that he might is there.

I'd love to see EB and Embree back here in some capacity, just not as HC. Either one might make a good OC if they were working for a HC with OC experience who could mentor them.

1. Mike Shanahan
2. John Gruden
3. Kirby Smart
4a. Gary Patterson
4b. Charlie Strong

Was pretty high on Calhoun, but he just re-upped with AFA. They're paying him pretty well, and there's a huge buyout clause in his contract.

1. Bill Cowher
2. John Gruden
3. Bill McCartney
4. Bill Walsh (w/ Urban Meyer as OC)
5. John Wooden

1. Bill Cowher
2. John Gruden
3. Bill McCartney
4. Bill Walsh (w/ Urban Meyer as OC)
5. John Wooden

since walsh is dead, i think he's unavailable for the position. maybe the ghost of knute rockne? or vince lombardi?

I'm down with Embree as HC and EB as the OC/RB coach. Maybe try and get Bob Simmons back on staff too. I just want EB back here in some capacity.

I'd avoid Leavitt. He has made his living off of recruits that couldn't qualify at other schools, especially in the SEC.

Don't know specifically about Leavitt, but it makes sense. But it's a great point in general. Guys who have had their success at places where they can get guys who don't qualify other places are probably bad fits in Boulder. Somebody had said something similar about Patterson in another thread (or maybe this one - figure it out for yourselves...). I have a feeling Kelly is probably in a similar situation at Cincy, too. They didn't exactly hold Huggins to the highest standards with the guys he recruited there, for sure...

Don't know specifically about Leavitt, but it makes sense. But it's a great point in general. Guys who have had their success at places where they can get guys who don't qualify other places are probably bad fits in Boulder. Somebody had said something similar about Patterson in another thread (or maybe this one - figure it out for yourselves...). I have a feeling Kelly is probably in a similar situation at Cincy, too. They didn't exactly hold Huggins to the highest standards with the guys he recruited there, for sure...

Considering TCU pretty much altered their standards for athletics to get LaDanian's Garnett-like scholastic achievements in the door, I don't think Patterson's had to sweat much since he took over the program.

Ok uhm, so big of a deal is that really? Is it that much harder to get into CU as a high school student than.. pretty much any other big time program? I don't know anything about USF, TCU or Cincy, but you guys are saying they admit players that we couldn't?

More on Charlie Strong...my #1 choice...

A “Strong” head coach

October 29, 2009

If Georgia and everybody else in the Southeastern Conference is looking for a way to cut into Florida’s league dominance of the past four seasons, maybe they should begin lobbying football programs with potential head coach openings to promote the most overlooked coordinator in the country. You want a better shot at knocking off the Gators? Then start networking to get Charlie Strong out of Gainesville. Put the word out that Florida’s defensive coordinator has been bypassed long enough. Because frankly, the longer Strong is allowed to keep recruiting and developing players for the Gators, the more likely coach Urban Meyer might have a Spurrier-esque dominance in the SEC. Meyer’s spread offense gets the headlines, but the element most responsible for UF’s championship success is Strong’s defenses. – Florida Times-Union

Back