What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sione Tau Reinstated

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Ringo BDC Article

Tau said he was reinstated to the program on Dec. 18 and has registered for spring semester classes. He is eager to return to campus and rejoin his teammates and coaches and begin the process of working toward earning playing time for the first time since joining the program in 2007.

While Tau has been reinstated to the team, he has plenty of work to do this spring and summer in the classroom in order to be academically eligible next fall. The NCAA mandates all student-athletes complete a certain percentage of work toward earning a degree prior to each year of eligibility. Tau fell behind in that regard by not taking any classes at another school this fall.Tau said he had to work as much as possible to pay rent and other living expenses during his suspension. He worked other odd jobs in addition to his security job. He said he couldn`t afford to pay tuition for classes at a nearby junior college. He couldn`t even afford a plane ticket home for the holidays.

Tau said he understands he has ground to make up academically, but he does not believe it will be a problem.

"That will be something I have to work on with my coordinators," Tau said.

He said he is determined to put two difficult years behind him. He decided not to discuss the events that led to his suspension but says he has learned from his mistakes.

Also of note: Wide receiver Scotty McKnight said he had minor knee surgery in early December to fix his meniscus. He said he was feeling much better just before Christmas and believes he will be 100 percent healthy in time for the start of the winter conditioning program this month and spring ball in mid-March.

Congrats to Sione for sticking with it! If he's coming back more mature and focused, he could make a big impact on our team next year. He and Givens will have to fight it out for the RT spot. And he could definitely make it possibly for Solder to move to TE in goal line situations so we can get more beef up front.

I have a bad feeling that Tau will have a career similar to Eric Faatagi. A kid that teases you with his talent and road grader size but can't seem to get on the field. I hope I am wrong, but I'm certainly not expecting him to be a contributor next year with the work he has to get done. I'm very happy that the kid has put this stuff behind him and will be back in school, pursuing a degree.

I have a bad feeling that Tau will have a career similar to Eric Faatagi. A kid that teases you with his talent and road grader size but can't seem to get on the field. I hope I am wrong, but I'm certainly not expecting him to be a contributor next year with the work he has to get done. I'm very happy that the kid has put this stuff behind him and will be back in school, pursuing a degree.

I harbor the same fears. A major milestone would be to see Tau in uniform and on the sidelines.

Good for him for taking on the challenge and going public with this. Now is the time to make good on those goals.

If Celestine can bounce back and Simmons can struggle through the JUCO admissions process, there's every chance this could work out for Tau. He has Sipili and Geer who know a thing or two about turning a corner, even if it's not exactly the same thing.

Suck it up, Tau. CU football practice is way better than working a security gig.

Back