What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sipili is suspended (unbelievable)

Leon Sandcastle

Water covers 2/3 of the Earth, I cover the rest
Club Member
LB Sipili suspended from school

By Neill Woelk (Contact)
Saturday, September 22, 2007

Colorado linebacker Michael Sipili has been suspended from school for the fall semester by CU's Office of Judicial Affairs.

Sipili was informed of the decision Friday.

Sipili pled guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge on Sept. 6 in connection with a June brawl in Boulder. The 19-year-old sophomore linebacker from Hawaii was sentenced on Sept. 12 to four days on a Boulder County Jail work crew, 80 hours of community service and two years of probation.

Sipili was also suspended by CU coach Dan Hawkins for the first three games of the season, but he continued to attend classes.

He has now been ordered to stay away from campus for the rest of the semester. He will be eligible for reinstatement to the university for the spring semester.

Sipili figured to be a starting linebacker for the Buffs this season. Because he played as a true freshman, he could use this season as a redshirt season and have three years of eligibility remaining.

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2007/sep/22/lb-sipili-suspended-from-school/

un****ingbelievable.

I don't know that I have ever felt this disappointed in the university. I think I will write a letter over this one.

Last edited:
so does every kid at cu get suspended for all tickets/charges

No. I was charged with reckless endangerment after police witnessed someone throw an empty Solo cup out of my dorm room window (I am not kidding, BTW).

The Office of Judicial Affairs never got involved with my case.

:jawdrop:

i certainly hope that the office of judicial affairs intends on stepping in on every incident from here on out. it would suck if they involved themselves in an inconsistent manner.

No. I was charged with reckless endangerment after police witnessed someone throw an empty Solo cup out of my dorm room window (I am not kidding, BTW).

The Office of Judicial Affairs never got involved with my case.

Weird, you hang out with Sam Keller?

If other students who receive similar or comparable citations don't receive similar punishments - it would sure be nice to see someone sue the University on an equal protection argument.

This is heartbreaking for the kid. Hasn't he been punished enough? The school has gone way over the top trying to get rid of their party school image. I guess what I don't get is that the incident did not happen on campus and did not involve campus police. How can they even get involved? Did they suspend the other kid? How about Perri? Is he going to get suspended? Is there an appeal process? This isn't about doing what is best for the kid. This is about thumping chests and saying "we are bigger than football."

Also, for a kid on an athletic scholarship with only limited time to compete in their sport, this punishment is WAY more excessive than for a kid just going to school who can take a semester off and its no big deal. This really upsets me. I wish I was a big donor to the school. I'd tell 'em no donation from me this year. But, alas, I'm just a small time nobody with a kid in school. I have no clout. :sad2:

I wonder what kind of appeal procedure is in place at CU. I would hope Sipili attempts to fight it at the next level.

from the outside looking in.... this just plain sucks for Sipili as a student 1st, then as a player and the CU football team... what I would like to know is.... CU's Office of Judicial Affairs, before suspending Sipili for the semester, meet with AD Bohn and Coach Hawkins before their decision?? If not, and Sipili was suspended, then CU's Office of Judicial Affairs need to make sure that from here on out, the same punishment needs to be the same for any student involved in any altercation while at CU that results in charges filed against them.....

From the Student Code of Conduct:

Paragraph G:

Violating any of the below standards with bold type will result in a minimum sanction of suspension unless specific and significant mitigating factors are present.

1. Assaulting or physically abusing another person or being involved in brawling.

It also sounds like the kid can have an advisor but the advisor cannot speak for the kid. The kid has to face the board on his/her own, it sounds like. That is like being tried with no legal representation.

now to play "devil's advocate".... is the university, CU, in light of recent off the field problems at ****braska, Texas, and other schools both in the BIg XII and across the nation, taking a "hard line" stance saying this type of behavior will not be tolorated at CU??

If you read the rules, the hearing consists of three board members. One has to be a student and one has to be a faculty member. The accused can have an "advocate" present who can advise the accused, but the advocate may not address the board. The advocate cannot be an attorney. This almost sounds unconstitutional to me. There is also an appeals process, BTW.

First, I hope Sip stands tall through this. Initially, this is a very tough blow. But if he stands tall, things will work out. He needs to avoid letting this make him bitter. He needs to stay at CU in order to show that he takes full responsiblity.

Second, I hope that there is some level of outrage that raises some level of sympathy for the crap the football program has to put up with. I hope there is some sort of pro-athletics backlash.

What baffles me is why is this such a surpirse to the coaching staff and advisors. They should have been aware that this could be a possibilty. I never once heard someone say "We need to wait and see what the out come of the Judicial affairs hearing is before we.. "

This just sucks.

What baffles me is why is this such a surpirse to the coaching staff and advisors. They should have been aware that this could be a possibilty. I never once heard someone say "We need to wait and see what the out come of the Judicial affairs hearing is before we.. "

This just sucks.

I personally think that a rule that automatically suspends someone for "brawling" is stupid. The way the rule is written, it is almost as if they had no other choice but to suspend him. But you can't tell me that there are brawls every frigging weekend at the school. So you have to ask yourself if "justice" his meted out in an "equal" manner up there or are they "selective" as to whom they suspend? I'd bet that if you were able to research it, you'd find that their are a LOT of similar incidents which go unpunished. Sip's problem is that his case went public. He then became a figurehead for the Academic Affairs office. They threw a kid under the bus to make a "point." This is one of the pathetic attributes that groups like the Board of Academic Affairs posesses. They love to throw people under the bus in order to validate their existence rather than trying to do the right thing.

I'm upset that this happened to Sipili, who by all accounts seems to be a good kid. But, the outrage about the football team being held to a higher standard seems a bit misplaced to me. It may not be fair to hold these students to a different standard than the general student population, but, the fact of the matter is they are. Further, they know that they are going to be held to a higher standard. They are on scholarship, they are on TV every week, they are the most recognizable students on campus. Thus, they are always going to be held to a different standard than your average Joe Schmo student. They have to know this and act accordingly. Again, it may not be fair, but it's the world they live in, and they need to be aware of it and not get themselves in situations like this.

But, I do want to point out that it seems odd that they seem to have "tried" him for the incident twice now. That is what seems unacceptable to me.

The sad thing is I don't see them changing their decision now. They absolutely don't want to appear like they will buckle when a little pressure is applied by the AD and the football program so they will back this decision regardless of how bad it is just to not appear like a spineless organization. Bull**** little weasels!...

The thought of a board consisting of some ego inflated goody two shoes student who was probably "wronged" by a jock or two in high school and a pompous anti athletic faculty member who also was probably "wronged" by a jock or two in high shcool deciding the fate of a "jock" just pisses me off!

That really sucks. They better kick every single student out of school for a semester if they get in a fight.

Just heard Cabral and Zim talking about how he is going to help. Didn't even mention the suspension. What the ****? Maybe he can take on-line classes or something?

So why was Chris Perri playing yesterday if Sip is gone for the semester? What about the other students involved in the fight?

I don't get this one. They can at least be consistent.

Back