What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sipili is suspended (unbelievable)

The infamous incident took place on the Hill, not on campus. This event took place in June, after the spring semester was over. Was Sipili taking classes when the violation took place?

How long is the reach of CU's Judiciary Council? If a spring breaker assalts a hobo on a beach in Mexico, does the CU Judiciary Council still have jurisdiction? Can a student be suspended for brawling that takes place overseas?

It seems to me that CU 1) doesn't believe the Colorado and Boulder judicial code is sufficient to handle crime and sentencing. 2) The Judiciary Committee knows how to render justice better than the professionals who handle law and as their day job. 3) Disciplinary measures by the CU athletic department don't count. 4) Double Jeopardy is appropriate, as written into the Code.

Just think of others act like the CU Judiciary Committee...

Mike Sipili's credit card company and bank desides to void his account.

Microsoft revokes Sipili's Windows XP license for violating terms of his terms of software agreement.

Starbucks said that management has the right to refuse service to anybody. All Boulder franchises no longer welcome Mike Sipili.

Sports Illustrated cancels Sipili's subscription.

Ford Motor Company has voided the 65,000 mile warranty on his vehicle.

Doctors and dentists cancel all of Sipili's future appointments because brawling just can't be tolerated in Boulder County.

Unbelievable.

I don't actually agree with the argument that this is double jeopardy. If you get convicted of a felony, the judicial system will take a bite out of you. But you will probably also face consequences with your employer and others - maybe an insurance carrier in some cases, maybe a professional organization or a state licensing board (I could lose my CPA license for being convicted of certain felonies not related to my job, for example). I do think that in certain cases, CU has a vested interest in eliminating certain people from the student population.

I don't actually agree with the argument that this is double jeopardy. If you get convicted of a felony, the judicial system will take a bite out of you. But you will probably also face consequences with your employer and others - maybe an insurance carrier in some cases, maybe a professional organization or a state licensing board (I could lose my CPA license for being convicted of certain felonies not related to my job, for example). I do think that in certain cases, CU has a vested interest in eliminating certain people from the student population.

Sipili does not have a professional certification because HE IS A STUDENT! He is not on a corporate payroll. He did NOT get convicted of a felony, but plead guilty to misdemenor assault. This is the first blotch on his record.

The CU student CoC appears to treat felony and misdemenor the same. It treats first time offenders and repeat offenders with a minimum suspension for assault.

Don't get me wrong. If Sip was on campus in a dorm, or in the classroom, then I can see jurisdiction. But this was an off campus issue. The double jeapardy is when both the CU athletic department and CU academic affairs are out of synch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sipili messed up and now he's paying the price. He is a name and if they let him off the hook then people would be going nuts saying players get preferencial(sp?) treatment. He should've known that players have a target on them each time they go out. And i am sure that the coaching staff tells the players on a daily basis to watch themselves. He should've got perri and walked away before it escalated further. I don't feel sorry for him. He only got suspended for a semester. Which he'll use as his redshirt season. So he'll be back next year.

Sipili does not have a professional certification because HE IS A STUDENT! He is not on a corporate payroll. He did NOT get convicted of a felony, but plead guilty to misdemenor assault. This is the first blotch on his record.

The CU student CoC appears to treat felony and misdemenor the same. It treats first time offenders and repeat offenders with a minimum suspension for assault.

Don't get me wrong. If Sip was on campus in a dorm, or in the classroom, then I can see jurisdiction. But this was an off campus issue. The double jeapardy is when both the CU athletic department and CU academic affairs are out of synch.

Sipili doesn't have a professional certification or a paycheck. He has a student ID. The University is basically his employer in his career as a student. They have the right to take action as they see fit to control the student population. That is a separate issue from any athletic suspensions or any legal issues.

Sipili doesn't have a professional certification or a paycheck. He has a student ID. The University is basically his employer in his career as a student. They have the right to take action as they see fit to control the student population. That is a separate issue from any athletic suspensions or any legal issues.

No. The University is NOT "basically his employer." There is a big difference between a faculty member at CU, and a member of the CU student population.

For students, there is no paycheck. No social security. No unemployment insurance. Students are more like "customers" than "employees", as implied by the manditory tuition payments.

I have no problem with a school suspending students for brawling WHILE ON CAMPUS PROPERTY. I have no problem with CU trying to keep the campus safe. But I disagree that CU has any unequivical right to "control the student population" for behavior that takes place anywhere in the universe. I don't understand how far reaching the CoC can be, but imagine they'd like it to be infinite.

What exactly got Sip suspended? The fractured face? The guilty plea? There were more people brawling that night than just Sip.

How many students get in a fight over summer vacation? Are they getting kicked off campus, too?

The Sip judgement comes across more like axe griding than true "blind" justice.

So, any of you guys that wrote letters of disgruntlement get any responses yet? :lol:

I did and here it is. Typical BS, they should take a read on Wolek's article about Sip before they hand down any more punishments.

Dear Mr. C,
I wanted to respond to your concerns regarding the recent disciplinary actions of one of our student athletes. I hope you understand that I cannot comment directly on this situation or the actions taken with respect to any of the other students or individuals involved in this incident, but I did want to respond to some of the points raised in your e-mail.
This is a great time for the University of Colorado at Boulder and athletics is an integral part of the tremendous progress we are making. We are expanding facilities, including the recent opening of the Atlas Building, the Wolf Law Building, and will soon formally dedicate the new Koebel Business Building and the newly renovated Football Locker Rooms and Football Practice Bubble; we have started construction on the Visual Arts Complex and the Basketball Operations Center; and are in the planning stages for a New Biotechnology Building and a Basketball Practice Facility. The number of freshman applications has increased 16% in just the past two years and this fall’s freshmen class exceeded last year’s (which was one of the largest, best qualified and most diverse classes in CU history) in both quality and diversity. Our athletic programs are continuing to improve, with outstanding new coaches in FB and both men’s and women’s BB, that compliment our seasoned coaching staff in other sports, many of which continue perform at the very highest levels. This is a coaching staff that represents the types of people and programs we want to build here at CU and I am very confident that we are on the right track. Mike Bohn is dong a great job of building momentum and support for all of these programs and I believe is receiving strong support from both me, personally, and from the entire university.
I know that you and others are concerned that this particular student athlete has been singled out as an example. While I can’t talk about the specifics, I can assure you that this is not the case. His case has been treated in exactly the same manner as would be the case for any other student here at CU. We are proud of our student athletes and on numerous occasions when I have met with them, have told them how important they and the programs they represent are to this university. As a former student-athlete myself (I attended Kansas State on a football scholarship and in fact played in Folsom Field in ’73) I think I understand the pressures these young men and women face every day. That said, they do have a unique role as ambassadors and must recognize the impact and scrutiny of their actions. This does not imply different treatment, but does present increased responsibility.
I believe that one of the biggest changes underway at CU, is the full and complete integration of athletics into the fabric of the university, something Mike Bohn and I have been working on very hard for the past 14 months. I believe we are making progress and that we will continue to do so. Through this partnership, we have built a strong base of support among the faculty, the entire university, and the broader statewide community. I hope that you will continue to be part of that base of support and will continue to support our university and your teams here at CU.
Again, thank you for your e-mail, I hope this helps to answer some of your concerns. My wife, Val, and I are down on the Pearl Street Mall every Friday night before home games and attend many of the CU sporting events. If you have a chance, please stop me sometime and say hello, I would look forward to meeting you.

Regards,
BP

I did and here it is. Typical BS, they should take a read on Wolek's article about Sip before they hand down any more punishments.

Yeah ... real BS:

I know that you and others are concerned that this particular student athlete has been singled out as an example. While I can’t talk about the specifics, I can assure you that this is not the case. His case has been treated in exactly the same manner as would be the case for any other student here at CU. We are proud of our student athletes and on numerous occasions when I have met with them, have told them how important they and the programs they represent are to this university. As a former student-athlete myself (I attended Kansas State on a football scholarship and in fact played in Folsom Field in ’73) I think I understand the pressures these young men and women face every day. That said, they do have a unique role as ambassadors and must recognize the impact and scrutiny of their actions. This does not imply different treatment, but does present increased responsibility.

Maybe you ought to take Bud Peterson's invitation to go down to Pearl Street and meet him seriously, and then maybe you'd realize he's no bullshitter.

I have no problem with a school suspending students for brawling WHILE ON CAMPUS PROPERTY. I have no problem with CU trying to keep the campus safe. But I disagree that CU has any unequivical right to "control the student population" for behavior that takes place anywhere in the universe. I don't understand how far reaching the CoC can be, but imagine they'd like it to be infinite.

What exactly got Sip suspended? The fractured face? The guilty plea? There were more people brawling that night than just Sip.

How many students get in a fight over summer vacation? Are they getting kicked off campus, too?

The Sip judgement comes across more like axe griding than true "blind" justice.

You'll find your answers here.

What if the incident happened off campus?

The university has jurisdiction for behavior off campus. Our main concerns are serious behaviors and/or behaviors that may have an effect on the university community. So even if it happens off campus, it may still be a violation of the Student Conduct Code, which will be handled by the Office of Judicial Affairs.

Sip's actions had an effect on the campus community because the others involved were students ... end of story.

And re "double jeopardy":

If I am being charged in court, why do I also have to deal with the university? Isn't this double jeopardy?

It is not double jeopardy, which only applies to the criminal court system. As a student, you are held responsible by the university for your behavior under the Student Conduct Code, rather than criminal statutes.

And why do you all assume that the other students involved did not have to go through the student judicial process as well? Because you didn't hear anything about it? Well ... you wouldn't hear anything about it. Federal privacy laws forbid the university from disclosing the results of judicial proceedings in most cases. The action taken against Sip was only publicized becuase he's an athlete ... I imagine they sign waivers for ther release of that kind of information, as they do for injuries.

LTCOL my post was a response from Bud Peterson's office about an email I sent regarding Sip's suspension.

L Buff - nice work adding more clarity to the judicial review situation surrounding Sip.

The student privacy statutes for 'non-athletes' is understandable at the individual level. However, there is nothing wrong with providing overarching statistics on the numbers of suspensions that are handed out in total. I have no idea if the number of suspensions impact less than 0.5% of the student population, or > 3%, or if these numbers are static over time. Wouldn't releasing these statistics make for a better communication plan for CU than a before the game bombshell?

On double jeopardy issue, it is clear that students are held accountable to the code in addition to the criminal justice system. While not techically double jeopardy, the fact remains that multiple penalties are issued by multiple organizations. When two of those organizations are under the same CU roof, then there are CU conflicts that have nothing to do with the courts. Sip's double jeopardy is the 3-game suspension on top of the 1 semester academic suspension. This left hand, right hand coordination is an issue that could be better synched up.

I had a guy in my dorm Freshman year get suspended for a semester for doing something. I can't remember what. He was a bit of a loose cannon, and was into drugs, but his grades were good enough that he wasn't kicked out for that. I'm pretty sure he did end up graduating eventually.

Anyway, my point is that semester-long suspensions are probably more common than we all think.

Back