What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

SI's Stewart Mandel on the Pac-12 Networks

Please, please, please, God NO! This scares the hell out of me. I'm sorry, but I want to watch sports on my sports channel. I do not want to watch mini-biopics.

When the Olympics are going on, I normally set up a VPN tunnel to the UK so that I can watch the BBC's coverage of the games. They actually show, you know, the games. When they show a competition, they show the entire damn competition. I am going to be so very, very pissed off if the new Pac Net actually follows the NBC Olympic model.

"Today we bring you the Finals of the NCAA Women's Downhill. Ok, first down the hill is Vermont's ________."
Shows run with inane commentary. "Now we'd like to introduce you to two friends and competitors, Lady Buff ___________ and Utah's _____________." Spends 20 minutes telling us about how they each save baby bunnies from crazy pigeons in the armpit of some random poor country. "Amazing ladies, and they are good skiers too - ______________ is up next, 17 skiers completed the run since we last checked in. Here is the time _______ has to beat." Shows two runs, again with inane commentary, then cuts to something else for a while. "Welcome back to the downhill, another 32 skiers have run since _________ and ___________, including this amazing run by _______________" Shows tape delay of "amazing" run. "That run turned out to be the winner, ___________ and _____________, finished 7th and 12th respectively. Here's what the final standings looked like. Thank you for watching our coverage of the Women's Downhill."

And, you're left sort of wondering, what coverage?

Hey Larry Scott, I know the Olympics makes a lot of money from NBC. I know this is the model NBC uses.

DO. NOT. COPY. IT.

That model sucks big giant donkey balls, and is a slap in the face to people who actually like sports.

I heard Mary Carillo is going to be one of the main on-air personalities for the P12 network.

:lol:

I agree with you, but I can definitely see that with the emphasis the Pac 12 puts on olympic sports that they'll want to produce an on-air product that resembles what we see in the Olympics.

I agree with you, but I can definitely see that with the emphasis the Pac 12 puts on olympic sports that they'll want to produce an on-air product that resembles what we see in the Olympics.
My *only* hope at this point is that they have so much time to fill, that athlete biopics will add to the coverage of the sporting event; they won't be done in place of.

I hope.

In all honesty, I'm really looking forward to seeing coverage of some non-traditional sports like skiing. I'm an olympics junkie, and I remember the days of "Wide World of Sports" when they actually would show that kind of thing. It's never covered anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce.

In all honesty, I'm really looking forward to seeing coverage of some non-traditional sports like skiing. I'm an olympics junkie, and I remember the days of "Wide World of Sports" when they actually would show that kind of thing. It's never covered anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce.
You should watch Universal Sports - it's somewhere early in the 600s on directv. It's an NBC product, and they do a pretty good (if they had HD coverage, I'd say it was very good & boarderline great) job covering a lot of non-traditional TV sports: skiing, swimming, cycling, track and field, etc. - which makes me wonder how they manage to **** up their coverage of the olympics so badly...

Man I used to love watching the Olympics when I had the time. I would love to add rugby to all the Pac-12 schools...rugby sevens will become an olympic sport in 2016 for both sexes.

We could be watching the next Tiger Woods as he played at Stanford for several seasons before turning pro.

I wonder if the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation will be included in the Pac-12 Network programming? I'm sure we will be battling with Denver in women's lacrosse.

The Olympics were great when they used to show the ****ing games instead of the fluff piece about growing up up in Iowa with 12 siblings, 3 dogs and 42 very close friends who all need to be interviewed. As much as I don't like ESPN's influence on college sports, I would love for the 12 Pac network to follow the X Games format instead. I hate the Olympics now.

Back