1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slick Rick

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DesertDawg526, Sep 19, 2008.

1. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

If he's the worst coach you've seen in the history of your program...

Consider yourself lucky you're not a 'Dawg fan.

That's all:cry:

2. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Does anyone have the pic of the newspaper ad with neu-kid --- the one that's been p-shopped (caption now says, "The football monopoly in los angeles is over there")?
    If so, please post it or a link. Thanx.

3. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

:smile2: just glad I didn't have to hear of anybody having to talk you down from a bridge overpass, or something like that....:thumbsup:

4. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

truth be told, that happened during barney...

5. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Ask and ye shall receive.

[​IMG]

BehindEnemyLines likes this.
  6. CU827

CU827 Well-Known Member

What a d-bag.

7. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

naw, he isn't the worst coach in the modern history of CU football, unfortunately.

from the crowder era to now, i'd rank them like this (best to worst) and not including hawk b/c the jury is still out:

1. Coach Mac
    2. Coach Crowder
    3. barnett
    4. mallory
    5. skippy neu
    6. fairbanks

that is as far back as my memory goes. grandelius won a conf. championship before crowder but he also cheated like an sec coach and CU got popped for it. dal ward, i think, was before him and he had some ups and downs, but it is waaaaaaaay before my time. hell, crowder is mostly before my time. i was like 7 when his team finished #3 in the country! :lol:

8. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Rick didn't gut the program, then gut the entire athletic department. The all time worst coach in CU history is upChuck Fairbanks, hands down. It's not even a debate. The man very nearly bankrupted the entire department and cost us our football team forever. That's how bad he was. What Bill McCartney did here cannot be overestimated. He literally brought this program back from the dead.

9. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

I'd put Skippy ahead of Barnett.. The two big wins in 01 over Nebraska and Texas don't erase the Barnett scandals..

Skippy also left Barnett with more than what Barnett left Hawk..

5 years from now it will be
    1. MAC
    2. HAWK :smile2:

10. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Not by choice though. Slick tried to weasel away all those kids.

11. BehindEnemyLines

Yeah, didn't they find out that he contacted some of the CU players once skippy got to udub?

12. Sexton Hardcastle

He did. I think the NCAA slapped him on the wrist for it. Then they put us on probation for violations from the Skippy Era.

13. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Skippy never beat *ebraska. Not once. Barnett beat them three times. That makes him the better coach in my book.

14. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

plus barnett won a conf. championship and had us in the game almost every year. yeah, i know it was weaker then. he also didn't leave us with 53 ncaa violations, which skippy did.

gb wasn't that great overall, but these are some of the reasons i put him ahead of neu.

15. BehindEnemyLines

This juror is in.....here's how I see it (I've been following CU since the late '60's)

1. Mac
    2. Crowder
    3. Barnett
    4. Hawk
    5. Skippy
    6. Mallory
    1000000000007. Fairbanks

I have Barnett in #3 since he did win a conference championship and multiple North titles. The glory of the early years outweigh the shell of a coach, recruiter, and ambassador to the university/program that he became later on. #'s 3 and 4 will change placed in 2-3 years.

I have Hawk above Skippy because Hawk has done more with less. Plus, it's not even a contest when considering integrity, passion, and dedication.

Mallory just couldn't keep it going after Coach Crowder. When I was younger, I actually thought Crowder pushed to increase the difficulty (academics wise) of getting athletes into CU. Most of the sports were doing poorly. After his hirings of Barry and Coach Mac, and the success they brought, I realized I was wrong.

Fairbanks was an embarrassment. I attended the CU / USLA game in LA in 1979. The Buffs were just terrible - UCLA led 56 - 0 at half. Heard a bruin fan say to another, "At this rate, it'll end up 112 - 0". Problem was, I beleived him. It was that bad.

The end of the pseudo-scandal years was painful. The 2-10 season of 2 years ago was just sickening; you knew that weren't that bad. And for most of you, you don't really know how good things are right now. The Buffs look better, they look stronger, they look faster, they look hungrier, and it's all moving in the right direction.

Believe me, it could be alot worse.

16. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

17. RalphieMalph

RalphieMalph Well-Known Member

It's always good to see cooler heads prevail.

18. JimmyBuff

19. Sexton Hardcastle

Marolt stepped down in 94. Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought Tharp came into a decent situation.

20. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

21. Sexton Hardcastle

CU and GB had to deal with Skippy's sins here. Skip inherited a good program, and a decent Athletic Dept.

22. JimmyBuff

23. JimmyBuff

Well he did, but he wasn't qualified to be an AD..... :smile2:

24. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

Nobody, and I mean nobody, was worse than Fairbanks. That guy nearly destroyed the program for good. The university wasn't that far from dropping football after what that guy did. Mallory was incompetent, Barnett couldn't get out of his own way, Neuheisel was a lying disloyal weasel, but Fairbanks is going to suck c*cks in hell for all eternity for what he did to the program.

25. BuffsRising

Which he promptly set about destroying. That clown had no business being AD, anywhere, let alone division I. He was the old boys club at its worst. If there was a silver lining to that "scandal" that Mary Keenan and Katie Hnida and Lisa Simpson invented, it was getting rid of Dick Tharp.

26. Sexton Hardcastle

I agree 100%. Tharp almost single-handedly ruined the Athletic Dept.

27. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

second time i have to swallow my pride tonight... why exactly was fairbanks so bad? im sure he was, but why?

28. BuffsRising

Go to Sports Illustrated's website, go to the archive, and look up the October 9th 1980 issue and read "There Ain't No More Gold in Them Thar Hills" by Douglas Looney, and read, and weep.

But to summarize, we spent a lot of money hiring him away from the New England Patriots, gave up a year of recruiting because the Patriots sued us and kept us from having a coach for months and then he came in and took a team that had gone to the orange bowl in 1976 and had won 6 games the year before he came and went 3-8 with a loss to Drake. Drake!! Then he spent hideous amounts of money on decorating his own office and designing stupid helmut decals that never got used, and went 1-10 in 1980 with huge blowout losses to anybody with a pulse, like 82-42 against Oklahoma AT HOME, and Eddie Crowder was forced to drop EIGHT sports and start the athletic fee on students to keep the Athletic Department from going broke and Coach Fairbanks was too busy acting like a colossal jerk to care(his nickname was Coach Stone), and then in 1981 he went 3-8 and lost to Nebraska 59-0 with his best player acting like a thug and getting kicked out of school.

Then to top the manure sundae with a cherry, he bailed on the program IN MARCH of 1982 after recruiting was already finished to take the job as Head Coach of the newly formed New Jersey Generals of the USFL that wouldn't even start play until spring of 1983, leaving Eddie Crowder with trying to hire a head coach in MARCH.

And did I mention the drinking during practice(heard about this from a guy I worked with who was a player on the team)?

I was 9 years old when the sports illustrated article came out, and this issue was the first issue in my first subscription to sports illustrated. what a drag.

29. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

If there was a silver lining, it did pave the way for Coach Mac....(and I was a student during that dark Fairbanks Powder Blue Era).

30. Sexton Hardcastle

Douglas Looney. Yet another asshole from CU, that hates CU.