What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, A Buff free Draft

so what will your excuse be next year when we have nobody taken in the draft?

I would take the over of 1.5 on the number taken next year in the NFL draft .
If Superman stays healthy, he goes in the first or second round and there are a couple others who could
also make it . Im good for 1 large if you are up for taking the under.

Solder is already ranked as a top 10 offensive tackle for the 2011 class. Obviously a lot of ball to be played and juniors to declare early still, but he certainly would be drafted.

Jimmy Smith and Jalil Brown should also get lots of attention from NFL scouts, and would think both have a good shot at getting drafted if things go well for them this season and in combine/pro day workouts. Smith certainly seems to have NFL corner on his radar.

Not sure on Marquez Herrod just yet. I think he could make a push to be an NFL prospect as run-stuffing, gap penetrating, DE's who weigh near 300 pounds are always popular.

Michael Sipili would is a darkhorse candidate as well, but if Marcus Burton didn't get drafted then hard to say he would.

Solder? Exactly what list says he's a Top 10 OT? Dave Platis?

These corners we have are not as good as a lot of people around here think they are.. I'd be shocked if either of them gets drafted unless they show remarkable improvement next year..

I like Herrod but he's a 3-4 LB in the pros at best.. I don't think he's big enough to be a DE..

Last edited:
Solder and Jimmy Smith will both get drafted not matter what... and maybe Brown if we have a reasonable season/

Barring a major injury, Solder and Smith are possible first day picks Jimmy. They are a slam dunk to get drafted regardless. They're solid players and freakish physically, the combine should be a nice showcase for them.

EDIT: Just realized I said first day picks, meant to say first or second day picks (first three rounds).

I just hope no pro scouts watched the spring game. Jimmy Smith was absolutely abused. Missed lots of tackles too. No way he is a first or second rounder. Maybe late rounds at the best. He didn't go pro this year because they told him he wouldn't get drafted, imo.

Solder will be 1st or 2nd round though.

I just hope no pro scouts watched the spring game. Jimmy Smith was absolutely abused. Missed lots of tackles too. No way he is a first or second rounder. Maybe late rounds at the best. He didn't go pro this year because they told him he wouldn't get drafted, imo.

Solder will be 1st or 2nd round though.

It was the spring game...... guy has been nails for most of his career.

Solder? Exactly what list says he's a Top 10 OT? Dave Platis?

These corners we have are not as good as a lot of people around here think they are.. I'd be shocked if either of them gets drafted unless they show remarkable improvement next year..

I like Herrod but he's a 3-4 LB in the pros at best.. I don't think he's big enough to be a DE..

This one has him as #2 so far:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_OT

and they list Jalil Brown as #26 CB and Jimmy Smith as #32 CB. Herrod as #46 DE (dude is 280+ lbs no way he is a 3-4 LB more likely a 4-3 strong side end).

Also has Scotty McKnight was listed as #23 WR. (forgot to mention him)

For another reference this site has Solder as #9 OT, and also lists Scotty as #21 WR but doesn't have defensive guys up yet:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011OT.php

And before the credibility of these sites gets questioned, these are two of the very best comprehensive rankings and scouting analysis sites available for free on the intrawebs.

Why so down about this year's senior class chances in the NFL?

Last edited:
Solder was all Big 12. If he repeats he goes within the first 3 rounds. The guy is a freaking amazing athlete and very athletic OTs go high in the draft. Doesn't he run a 5.0 forty at over 300 pounds and post a high VJ? Guy will be drafted on measurables alone, it's up to the coaching staff and Solder himself to turn him into a first day pick, imo, because it's all there for the taking.

Geer had way too much talent not to be drafted. Somewhere something went wrong. Was it Geer? Maybe, but I think his coaches were the problem.

Solder was all Big 12. If he repeats he goes within the first 3 rounds. The guy is a freaking amazing athlete and very athletic OTs go high in the draft. Doesn't he run a 5.0 forty at over 300 pounds and post a high VJ? Guy will be drafted on measurables alone, it's up to the coaching staff and Solder himself to turn him into a first day pick, imo, because it's all there for the taking.

Solder in 2009. Did well in everything except Bench.
Ran a 4.86 in the 40.

Wall of Winner S&C numbers

Also ... tada!

Geer didn't get drafted, but he's going to be a Denver Bronco.

Geer Discovers Broncos Know Him After All
[FONT=Cambria, serif]Riar Geer grew up a devout Denver Broncos fan, but over the past couple of months he was given little indication that the love was reciprocal.[/FONT] [FONT=Cambria, serif]That changed on Saturday afternoon when the team of his childhood dreams called and brought the former University of Colorado tight end aboard as a free agent.[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]"I would have loved to be drafted, but that was more wishful thinking than anything else," Geer said from his parents' home in Grand Junction. "I knew I wasn't a first- or second-rounder, probably a fifth-rounder at best ... (read more)
[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]Patrick Devenny and Justin Drescher were picked up Saturday afternoon as free agents. Devenny will report to Seattle's minicamp on Friday, while Drescher is bound for Atlanta's camp on May 7.[/FONT]

according to Ridgell, Brayton was CU's last first round pick.....in 2003. with the last pick in the first round.

Solder in 2009. Did well in everything except Bench.
Ran a 4.86 in the 40.

Wall of Winner S&C numbers

Also ... tada!

Geer didn't get drafted, but he's going to be a Denver Bronco.

Geer Discovers Broncos Know Him After All
[FONT=Cambria, serif]Riar Geer grew up a devout Denver Broncos fan, but over the past couple of months he was given little indication that the love was reciprocal.[/FONT] [FONT=Cambria, serif]That changed on Saturday afternoon when the team of his childhood dreams called and brought the former University of Colorado tight end aboard as a free agent.[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]"I would have loved to be drafted, but that was more wishful thinking than anything else," Geer said from his parents' home in Grand Junction. "I knew I wasn't a first- or second-rounder, probably a fifth-rounder at best ... (read more)
[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]Patrick Devenny and Justin Drescher were picked up Saturday afternoon as free agents. Devenny will report to Seattle's minicamp on Friday, while Drescher is bound for Atlanta's camp on May 7.[/FONT]

According to one of the local TV stations, Geer signed with the Broncos as a Free Agent yesterday.

I agree with you DBT, this isn't Hawkins' draft this year. This was the 'end of the GB era' draft. I also agree that these players weren't afforded the best opportunity to showcase their abilities, given that CU is on offensive and defensive scheme of the month program.

anyone google 'elibible' yet? dbt has been asking all kinds of questions about being 'elibible' for stuff. :lol:

elibible, noun, a religious fervor reserved for coach Dan Hawkins

see also: elibabble, noun, any of 18,000 DBT posts

You can't blame Hawkins for the recruiting class that came eligible this year but you can question his development of players and retention of players. In my personal opinion the quality of athlete that Hawkins has recruited to CU, at least in his second and third classes, is higher than the average quality of the players Barnett and his staff brought in.

The difference is that Barnett and his staff developed a number of players who were considered lower level recruits, mostly two star and marginal three stars into guys who got a shot in the NFL. The list of guys who have gotten significantly better under the Hawkins staff is notably short, this is reflected in the won-loss on the field and in the attention paid by the pros.

I will give you Solder, move a lightly regarded TE to a potential 1st round tackle, the CBs came in as good athletes and got to work under Greg Brown and now Ambrose who was a pro. Herrod was fairly highly touted coming in and is now looked at as a maybe. Sip came out of HS as an animal on the field and so far has failed to live up to expectations. Scotty is one of those guys who is smart and such a hard worker that he would have succeeded almost anywhere, and he is still looked at as a marginal late rounder. Not a lot to show for four full years at the helm of the program.

I was a huge supporter of Hawkins when he came in and still think he is a good person, he has also been a good football coach everywhere but here and under different circumstances in the future will find success again. That all stated his teams have been a dismal failure on the field and I see no indications that the things that have caused those failures are going to change this year.

On the bright side, if/when Hawkins is replaced after this season, the new coach will have more raw talent available than Hawkins did coming in and will not have the rest of the negative stuff to deal with that I do credit Hawkins with cleaning up.

Jeff Byers wasn't drafted. That damned Pete Carroll must not have developed his talents.

Jeff Byers wasn't drafted. That damned Pete Carroll must not have developed his talents.

Jeff Byers was a 5* coming out of HS. He finished his college career at the same height and close to the same weight as he started it. More telling is that if you are a short, underweight center and want to be drafted, don't have two knees that are basically spaghetti. Byers didn't get drafted but a whole bunch of his teammates did, almost any NFL team he signs a FA contract with will include at least one of his former teammates,

By the way, he didn't get drafted but he did something that Hawkins players can't claim, he won a lot of games, more in one season than most Buffs have won in four.

Jeff Byers was a 5* coming out of HS. He finished his college career at the same height and close to the same weight as he started it. More telling is that if you are a short, underweight center and want to be drafted, don't have two knees that are basically spaghetti. Byers didn't get drafted but a whole bunch of his teammates did, almost any NFL team he signs a FA contract with will include at least one of his former teammates,

By the way, he didn't get drafted but he did something that Hawkins players can't claim, he won a lot of games, more in one season than most Buffs have won in four.
I was just joking.

IMO Geer actually regressed in college. It's a damn shame. I'd love to hear you defend the Riddler.
I'm not trying to defend anyone. I'm trying to be logical. BTW, Geer is better off going as a free agent than getting drafted in a late round.

I'm not trying to defend anyone. I'm trying to be logical. BTW, Geer is better off going as a free agent than getting drafted in a late round.
Ask Riar if he would rather be drafted, or become a free agent. I'm sure he'd rather be drafted.

I also believe that Riar had the talent to become a 3-4th round pick. possibly higher. I just don't believe the staff really developed that talent. JMHO. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

So does Hawkins bear any responsibility for no draftees this year or not?

Back