What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So how do we fit the Spread?

The other thing I like about this offense is that you don't have the same complicated decision trees for QBs and WRs to read and react to like you do in the pro style system. It's much easier for a QB to have quick success in it. I think it give us a much better opportunity for Dillon to be effective early or for someone like Wood to show his talent. On the most basic level, this offense is designed to let athletes be athletes.

With it basically inevitable that our next coach runs the "Spread," or something very similar, how does our personnel fit that scheme? QB will obviously be the #1 ?

The question for the CU offense is not if they have the right personnel to run the spread but do they have the personnel to be effective in any offense. I disagree with those who say the Oline is a weak link, I think the Oline is solid and can hold their own. Any offense starts with the QB, if you can get a QB that can make the plays then you have a starting point. CU did not have good QB play this year and that is the biggest question that has to answered regarding the offense. Combine in the fact that CU has very slow wide receivers - Then the other team can load the LOS and single cover the receivers without much of a deep threat. I hope P-Rich being healthy will solve some of this but I think he would of had little impact this year.

The 2013 season is going to be a transition year (and probably 2014) until talent can be recruited into the program. I think a lot of the players in the 2012 class are pretty good but we need more and there are too many holes.

With it basically inevitable that our next coach runs the "Spread," or something very similar, how does our personnel fit that scheme? QB will obviously be the #1 ?

In response to the original question "How do we fit the Spread?"

Answer: Yoga Pants
images

images

images

images

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Butch likes his OL that are more quick than big. We will need to find some playmakers at WR to properly run it. Luckily for us their are an abundance of those guys around if you know what you are doing.

Shane Dillon runs a 4.6 40. Manziel 4.53. Mariota 4.7. Tebow 4.6.

Not comparing him to these guys...but his speed is fine for a spread offense.

Uh, not exactly. Marcus Mariota runs a 4.43. The time on rivals of 4.71 is probably from his junior year of high school or something. I bet he runs a blazing 100 time; on film he looked to be still accelerating after 30 yards.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119521&draftyear=2016&genpos=QB

Tebow is 30 or 40lbs heavier than Dillon. I'm really skeptical that Dillon can be an effective runner, especially out of a read system.

Espn lists Dillon's time at 5.00s. On film, he looked around 4.8s. I seriously doubt that 4.6s is accurate.

I would guess that Sefo's durability, speed, and decision making is going to push Dillon if there is an open qb competition. If Butch is hired, I hope he doesn't predetermine the qb even though he has familiarity with Dillon.

Their current qb doesn't look much different than Dillon to be honest. A couple years in the weight room later anyway.

Uh, not exactly. Marcus Mariota runs a 4.43. The time on rivals of 4.71 is probably from his junior year of high school or something. I bet he runs a blazing 100 time; on film he looked to be still accelerating after 30 yards.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119521&draftyear=2016&genpos=QB

Tebow is 30 or 40lbs heavier than Dillon. I'm really skeptical that Dillon can be an effective runner, especially out of a read system.

Espn lists Dillon's time at 5.00s. On film, he looked around 4.8s. I seriously doubt that 4.6s is accurate.

I would guess that Sefo's durability, speed, and decision making is going to push Dillon if there is an open qb competition. If Butch is hired, I hope he doesn't predetermine the qb even though he has familiarity with Dillon.

I'm fine with Dillon running and sliding to pick up a first down. Other than that, we certainly don't want Dillon taking a lot of big shots.

What about Connor Wood for the spread? Big arm with less decision making needed, ran a 4.6 according to the profile?

Accuracy is highly valued here. Connor's inconsistencies are legendary in this dept. But a change of scenery in terms of coaching may do the trick. I loved Rip on paper, but in practice, a pretty big disappointment. Jones has had good QB play every place he has gone (this year being the biggest challenge as he used 3 guys).

Back