What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So how does CU come out Saturday?

i hope CU throws the house at Pete... the one thing Pete does well thus far in fall camp is throw the long ball... I would expect SF to be ready for all sorts of blitzes and mix ups....corner blitzs...etc... leaving someone open deep.

now can we catch the deep ball.. thats the concern

I see absolutely no reason to think this CU/CSU game will be different from the previous four (4) games under Hawkins...

Very close ball game.

Everything about this team is a question mark, so how they come out Saturday is a question mark as well. I hope we come out smoking, but how many times have we done that under Hawk? Even in the big OU upset, we weren't exactly blowing **** up from the get go. My guess is this game will have us pulling our hair out for four quarters, win or lose.

I'm not sure bringing the house a lot is the best strategy actually. I would mix in lots of different looks (man-to-man, zone, blitzes, stunts, run blitzes, different formations). Mix in some blitzes, but I think throwing multiple looks at him to confuse the hell outta him would be the best strategy.

cu better come out and pressure big time. Front 7 needs to stuff the run and put "pistol pete" (ram fans nickname) on his butt. If jalil and jimmy are as good as everyone says and they can play one on one, that should give us more freedom for different blitzes schemes etc...

I see a plodding CSU TE wearing a number in the 90's getting loose for some gashers and a score.

We are going to come out and hit them hard and then step on their neck when they are down and piss on their faces.

My fear is us giving up big plays. We need to defend the long ball from the get-go to keep thm off the board. We have to get after Pete and play solid in the defensive backfield. For whatever reason, I feel good about stopping the run this year, but just don't want to see those damn long plays.

Therein lies the problem. I don't think Hawk likes his players to get 'up' for games. Even keel and all that.

Unfortunately for us and for the team, football is an emotional sport.

One big difference is the players in leadership roles. I know Hawk doesn't pushing getting "up", but looking back at the Spring Game there were players pushing their teammates to get up. Toney Clemons was talking trash and pumping guys up, along with Tyler. Also, the white team went ahead and did a Haka, trying to pump up the team.

Although Hawk may run out on the field and try to be even keel, I would bet big bucks that the leaders on the team are pumping up one another.

I'm not sure bringing the house a lot is the best strategy actually. I would mix in lots of different looks (man-to-man, zone, blitzes, stunts, run blitzes, different formations). Mix in some blitzes, but I think throwing multiple looks at him to confuse the hell outta him would be the best strategy.

Not necessarily all the time. Here's what you do - send Beatty or Polk on a blitz early in the game. Even if it's a blatant late hit, you cream the guy. Take the penalty. By then, you're in his head. He'll be wondering where the next guy is coming from for the rest of the game. Sometimes you send, sometimes you don't. But you've established that you're willing and able to freaking bury his ass in the turf.

This was a staple of the OU defense under Venables/Stoops for years. They might still do it for all I know. They want to set the tone early that the QB will get hit, and he'll get hit hard.

Not necessarily all the time. Here's what you do - send Beatty or Polk on a blitz early in the game. Even if it's a blatant late hit, you cream the guy. Take the penalty. By then, you're in his head. He'll be wondering where the next guy is coming from for the rest of the game. Sometimes you send, sometimes you don't. But you've established that you're willing and able to freaking bury his ass in the turf.

This was a staple of the OU defense under Venables/Stoops for years. They might still do it for all I know. They want to set the tone early that the QB will get hit, and he'll get hit hard.

Pretty bush league IYAM.

i don't know. i don't remember ever seeing OU or anyone willingly take an unsportsmanlike on the first play. just take the guy out, take your 15, and play ball.

really? that's what we are saying.

i don't know. i don't remember ever seeing OU or anyone willingly take an unsportsmanlike on the first play. just take the guy out, take your 15, and play ball.

I'm not saying that. That's like lighting up the punt returner and taking the penalty. That's lame.

It's bush league and I have no interest in watching that bull****.

One big difference is the players in leadership roles. I know Hawk doesn't pushing getting "up", but looking back at the Spring Game there were players pushing their teammates to get up. Toney Clemons was talking trash and pumping guys up, along with Tyler. Also, the white team went ahead and did a Haka, trying to pump up the team.

Although Hawk may run out on the field and try to be even keel, I would bet big bucks that the leaders on the team are pumping up one another.

I hope you're right, but Hawk's tenure to this point would say otherwise.

Pretty bush league IYAM.

Happens all the time. Call it whatever you want to. And it's different than taking out a punter. Once the punter is on the field, you've already stopped them. No sense taking out the punter and giving them the ball back.

This only works against young QB's. We won't face a younger QB than the one we face this Saturday. Take advantage of it. Football isn't an easy game. If it were, they'd call it bowling.

Happens all the time. Call it whatever you want to. And it's different than taking out a punter. Once the punter is on the field, you've already stopped them. No sense taking out the punter and giving them the ball back.

This only works against young QB's. We won't face a younger QB than the one we face this Saturday. Take advantage of it. Football isn't an easy game. If it were, they'd call it bowling.

But it is like lighting up the punt returner.

Agreed bowling is a piece of cake.

Comment by daaah: "We are going to come out and hit them hard and then step on their neck when they are down and piss on their faces."

^^^I like this! This is what I would like to see. :smile2:

Last edited:

Really? There are blatant late hits on young QBs all the time? I must be watching different football games.

Football is not an easy game. Not sure that has anything to do with advocating blatant cheap shots.

Uh oh, now you've done it. There will be a wanted poster out for petey according to 80's ram...

Back to the original question. I think they will try to get the ball out in space to the WRs, most notably Clemons & Jefferson. This should widen the lambkin LBs, thus opening up wider running lanes for Speedy & Hansen. Then come the bombs to Clemons & Richardson. Once the long balls hit, McKniight has a big day on the underneath stuff. Sounds great in theory, doesn't it?

Really? There are blatant late hits on young QBs all the time? I must be watching different football games.

Football is not an easy game. Not sure that has anything to do with advocating blatant cheap shots.

last time i remember seeing iffy hits on a QB that seemed systematic and purposeful was when Phil Bennett was the DC for Snyder. John Mcgraw and those guys....i thought they were a little over the edge.

All the time? No. Often enough so that I've noticed it? Yes. I've seen it happen against CU. OU tried to light up Cody in 07. They try to get in the QB's head right from the start.

"So how does CU come out Saturday?"

More specifically:
Should we come out like the polititions, and tell our families, friends, and media the truth after we've been caught in an airport bathroom stall with another man?
Or should we hold a press conference to tell the world what team we're really playing for?
Or should we have a meeting with close friends and family first, and explain the truth to them, before exposing our true self to the world?

NTTAWWT

I have ahard time remembering when our DC has brought the heat consistently. It happens in some obvious passing downs, but other than that, CU seems to drop into coverage. I would imagine on D things will be pretty vanilla.

I fully expect the first three plays on O to be throws.

Back