What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So if you were Rick George....

If I were RG, then I would continue to improve everything around the football team.... and then evaluate what happens next season. Take away all excuses so that if you have to move to a new coach, you have the table set.

I have a 12-pack of your favorite beer that says attendance will be worse next year than this.

Sat, Sep 05
Hawai'i at Honolulu, HI TBA

Sat, Sep 12
Massachusetts Boulder, CO TBA

Sat, Sep 19
Colorado State Denver, CO TBA

Sat, Sep 26
Nicholls State Boulder, CO TBA

Sat, Oct 03
Oregon Boulder, CO TBA

Sat, Oct 10
Arizona State at Tempe, AZ TBA

Sat, Oct 17
Arizona Boulder, CO TBA

Sat, Oct 24
Oregon State at Corvallis, OR TBA

Sat, Oct 31
UCLA at Pasadena, CA TBA

Sat, Nov 07
Stanford Boulder, CO TBA

Fri, Nov 13
USC Boulder, CO TBA

Sat, Nov 21
Washington State at Pullman, WA TBA

Sat, Nov 28
Utah at Salt Lake City, UT TBA

Fri, Dec 04
Pac-12 Championship Game Santa Clara, CA TBA

UMass and Nichols St won't help CU fill Folsom but may get them two wins.

If I were RG, then I would continue to improve everything around the football team.... and then evaluate what happens next season. Take away all excuses so that if you have to move to a new coach, you have the table set.

Sounds good.

If I was Rick George, I'd be looking at the 2014-15 sports year and see:

- Both our Men's & Women's Golf programs ranked #35 in the nation by Golfweek
- Our defending national champion Men's XC team ranked #1 with our Women's XC team ranked in the Top 10
- Our Volleyball and Soccer programs on pace to return to the NCAA tournament this year
- A Tennis program that's starting to win again
- Men's Basketball ranked #29 in the nation in the first poll
- Women's Basketball expected to at least make the NIT
- Ski team that should be in the mix for another national title
- Track & Field that has been great at distance and is poised to improve with the IPF improving indoor vs the Balch facility
- Lacrosse that won in its first year and just pulled in a great recruiting class - on track to be a national power

I see unprecedented academic success that's keeping the university happy. I'm seeing fundraising and revenue projections that show a clear path to a balanced budget.

And I realize that none of that means jack **** to most people as long as football is a losing program.

So, bottom line...

I believe in the model for the AD that is working elsewhere. I believe in the ability of CU to attract the athletes to compete at the highest levels in all sports. I have some patience for Football, but not that much. Folsom revenue being down drags the entire AD down. Losing kills fundraising and fan interest across all sports. Football is king and it has to be fixed.

I would tell MikeMac after this season that I hope he's considering staff changes, because if he is, he could get him a 4th year with some staff changes and a few recruiting wins. Otherwise he's coaching for his job next year.

I would tell MikeMac after this season that I hope he's considering staff changes, because if he is, he could get him a 4th year with some staff changes and a few recruiting wins. Otherwise he's coaching for his job next year.

One year, $10 million. Not a bad payday I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah. I think it's down to it's, sort of, base at this point.

i agree i think attendence is dragging along the bottom... the current season ticket holders are battered and bruised but loyal and ready to fight on.... ive been through too much to quit now!

Attendance won't be any better next year. We have had six games of absolute perfect weather this year. The number of season tickets sold isnt going to increase after this disaster of a season. Walk-ups will only increase with wins, but that's a lagging stat. A .500 record doesn't inspire people. We are a long way from a .500 record. The casual fan is lost.
Attendance is a lagging indicator. Go bowling 1-2 years in a row and people will feel more comfortable dropping the cash for season tickets.

I'll bet next year there beer sales will be expanded to the stadium.

George needs to start laying out some serious goals to the staff and let them know the consequences of not obtaining them.

George needs to start laying out some serious goals to the staff and let them know the consequences of not obtaining them.

RG sat down with the HC/staff of every sports program at CU and they made a detailed plan on what it takes to win and how to get there. There were some coaches that got no face time with Bohn that now have the AD support they have lacked for years. So RG definitely has a plan for the AD, he worked with Mac on a plan for football and you can guarantee they are going to review that plan at the end of the season and figure out why it is not on track (unless they planned for a 2 win season this year, which I highly doubt).

We will see how serious the AD is if we see some changes in the offseason.

If I was Rick George, I'd be looking at the 2014-15 sports year and see:

- Both our Men's & Women's Golf programs ranked #35 in the nation by Golfweek
- Our defending national champion Men's XC team ranked #1 with our Women's XC team ranked in the Top 10
- Our Volleyball and Soccer programs on pace to return to the NCAA tournament this year
- A Tennis program that's starting to win again
- Men's Basketball ranked #29 in the nation in the first poll
- Women's Basketball expected to at least make the NIT
- Ski team that should be in the mix for another national title
- Track & Field that has been great at distance and is poised to improve with the IPF improving indoor vs the Balch facility
- Lacrosse that won in its first year and just pulled in a great recruiting class - on track to be a national power

I see unprecedented academic success that's keeping the university happy. I'm seeing fundraising and revenue projections that show a clear path to a balanced budget.

And I realize that none of that means jack **** to most people as long as football is a losing program.

So, bottom line...

I believe in the model for the AD that is working elsewhere. I believe in the ability of CU to attract the athletes to compete at the highest levels in all sports. I have some patience for Football, but not that much. Folsom revenue being down drags the entire AD down. Losing kills fundraising and fan interest across all sports. Football is king and it has to be fixed.

Its amazing what a front door football is to the AD. Our sports programs outside of football are probably having as much success across the board as anytime in recent history, but if you polled 100 random pac-12 fans, they would probably assume our entire AD sucks.

Once RG delivers on his commitments (facilities, support, etc.) there really aren't any more excuses, the football program MUST get turned around due to the revenue it delivers. Some folks are saying HCMM deserves 5 years to get us to a bowl game. I doubt RG gives him that long.

Its amazing what a front door football is to the AD. Our sports programs outside of football are probably having as much success across the board as anytime in recent history, but if you polled 100 random pac-12 fans, they would probably assume our entire AD sucks.

That's a fair opinion. CU gets knocked for varsity teams it doesn't have.

Gymnastics
Baseball
Softball
Swimming/Diving
Water Polo
Men's Soccer
Men's Tennis
Rowing

And CU doesn't get credit for skiing since that's only a Mtn State sport.

Mike Mac deserves four years minimum. CU can't be known as the school that fires coaches every two years.

Mike Mac deserves four years minimum. CU can't be known as the school that fires coaches every two years.

Unless, of course, the standards used to sack Embree are left on the table. [/no racist]

CU can't be known as the school that repetitively hires incompetent coaches and keeps them around too long.

If I were RG, I would have my meetings with all coaches at the end of the season to: 1) Review the goals that were set for the program 2) Discuss areas that met the goals and areas the missed the goals 3) Discuss the over arching reasons for both 4) Ask for the plan and changes that will be instituted by the coach to continue the progress or improve the trajectory of the program 5) Ensure the coach understands what success for his/her program looks like from the overall AD perspective 6) establish the minimum standards for success going forward (jointly doing so would be the best option but may not be reasonable due to the circumstance of the program in review)

If I were RG, I would have my meetings with all coaches at the end of the season to: 1) Review the goals that were set for the program 2) Discuss areas that met the goals and areas the missed the goals 3) Discuss the over arching reasons for both 4) Ask for the plan and changes that will be instituted by the coach to continue the progress or improve the trajectory of the program 5) Ensure the coach understands what success for his/her program looks like from the overall AD perspective 6) establish the minimum standards for success going forward (jointly doing so would be the best option but may not be reasonable due to the circumstance of the program in review)
I'd say it is highly likely that Rick George is highly supportive of Mac and believes the program is heading in the right direction.

Unless, of course, the standards used to sack Embree are left on the table. [/no racist]

CU can't be known as the school that repetitively hires incompetent coaches and keeps them around too long.

don't see the Embree type ineptitude happening in the next two years so i doubt those standards will have to be used ...
go back two years and it was as bad as I have ever seen... CU won it's only game on 4th down and goal with seconds to go....

Last edited:

Thats what I think as well. Im a supporter for now. As long as the team continues to look better, as they do, year over year (that means more winning next year) than I am on board with keeping him. The lack of recruiting gains thus far is a concern. If the team fails to progress next year or worse, takes a step back, then his number might be up and Ill change my tune.

don't see the Embree type ineptitude happening in the next two years so i doubt those standards will have to be used ...
go back two years and it was as bas as I have ever seen... CU won it's only game on 4th down and goal with seconds to go....

Thats the $64,000 question right there: what happened?

I have to believe the Bohn took him to task on what the plan is to improve the team. And he didn't have one. Or worse told him he had to make staff changes. And Embree refused. Thus ending his career here. Given how awful they looked I think it was fair game for Bohn to ask him to make changes to his coaching staff.

I don't think that is as big an issue as people are making it out to be (in this case). To be clear, I'm NOT advocating we fire Mac, but I think coaches and their agents are smart enough to understand the situation here. We have a new AD who didn't hire the current coach - if he wanted to replace Mac with his own guy, well it happens all the time. It isn't a CU trend because it's different people making those decisions.

Now if CU was firing ADs every couple years that would be another story.

I agree. The risk of MacIntyre mailing it in appears low.

However, options should not just automatically be taken off the table.

Nobody knows what will happen against UofA, Oregon and Utah. If the team were to get blown out Fresno-style to close this season, then it would indicate the coaches lost the confidence in the locker room.

If the players continue to give it their best effort, and RG is satisfied with the progress, then that's all the reason needed to stay the course.

Thats the $64,000 question right there: what happened?

I have to believe the Bohn took him to task on what the plan is to improve the team. And he didn't have one. Or worse told him he had to make staff changes. And Embree refused. Thus ending his career here. Given how awful they looked I think it was fair game for Bohn to ask him to make changes to his coaching staff.

I recall hearing this as the reason. Curious to what actually transpired. Can't imagine that status quo was going to be acceptable... we were an embarrassment in 2012. 2011 was bad, but 2012 was the worst coached team I have ever watched. That said, I was rooting for Embree/Bienemy and was really optimistic after the hire. Tough that it played out the way it did.

According to Andrew Friedman the solution was to bring in the OkieLite OC, which obviously wasn't going to happen. If not him then their WR coach. Two years later, he is still the WR coach btw, did not replace Monken. Was also going to bring in Chris Wilson as DC. A coach our fan base constantly complained about under Barnett and is now the USC DL coach.
He also said EB was leaving regardless bc he didn't like CFB anymore IIRC.

From phone

I think he sits down with MacIntyre and discusses where he thinks they are coming up short and get a plan from MacIntyre on how to fix it. I have no idea what George's perspective is on the football team. I would think attendance and support would be areas that he would be concerned about - but how that directly ties into MacIntyre is just speculation.

Back