What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, is the mob happy or sad....

My very first impression was that "Hawkins is under a ton of pressure to turn it around next year. He knows his job is on the line. He's cutting Simas slack that he hasn't cut anyone else previously." I think that when he took over, he really was almost forced to take a tough stand on behavior, given the problems of the past. But I also think he may have gone a bit overboard on some of the kids. So, in a way, I'm glad to see a bit of relaxation in the Simas case.

That's an interesting take. It makes sense, but the fact that they've kept using the "doing things the right way" line to try to sell us on Hawkins kind of argues against the idea that what he's been doing so far has been some kind of overcompensation. OTOH, it's totally possible that Hawk finally looked around and said "you know, doing things the right way is nice and I do love my moral superiority, but my ass is getting toasted here and I need players on the field" and we'll see a little different way of dealing with things.

Which wouldn't bother me at all. But this isn't exactly where I wish he would have started. Some of your earlier comments about Simas, added to the quotes in this thread, make me think this isn't a one time, out of character mistake that the kid will learn from without punishment. Don't know the kid, so I won't claim to know where his head is at, but let's just say what I've seen in the press and here isn't encouraging. But I'm still jacked about seeing him on the field next fall. I can't say I'm 100% sold this was the right move, but it won't keep me from cheering the first time he catches a long TD from Tyler. Yes, I'm just that much of a hypocrite... :lol:

That's an interesting take. It makes sense, but the fact that they've kept using the "doing things the right way" line to try to sell us on Hawkins kind of argues against the idea that what he's been doing so far has been some kind of overcompensation. OTOH, it's totally possible that Hawk finally looked around and said "you know, doing things the right way is nice and I do love my moral superiority, but my ass is getting toasted here and I need players on the field" and we'll see a little different way of dealing with things.

Which wouldn't bother me at all. But this isn't exactly where I wish he would have started. Some of your earlier comments about Simas, added to the quotes in this thread, make me think this isn't a one time, out of character mistake that the kid will learn from without punishment. Don't know the kid, so I won't claim to know where his head is at, but let's just say what I've seen in the press and here isn't encouraging. But I'm still jacked about seeing him on the field next fall. I can't say I'm 100% sold this was the right move, but it won't keep me from cheering the first time he catches a long TD from Tyler. Yes, I'm just that much of a hypocrite... :lol:

Yeah, I think it is time for CU fans to come together and take the hypoctitic oath. "I do solemnly swear that while, I espouse honor and purity in all CU athletes and put down any other program that employs thuggery and looks the other way at their player's indiscretions, I will, too, look the other way if a CU player who can help this team win commits similar indiscretions."

Ok.... Basically he's saying what any college kid (or anyone else) should have ingrained in their head. Don't drive if you've been drinking. If it comes to it, pass out (sleep) where you are but don't drink and drive. Right?

Maybe he got off a bit easy, but I don't see that he is saying anything that is particularly wrong.

Ok.... Basically he's saying what any college kid (or anyone else) should have ingrained in their head. Don't drive if you've been drinking. If it comes to it, pass out (sleep) where you are but don't drink and drive. Right?

Maybe he got off a bit easy, but I don't see that he is saying anything that is particularly wrong.
Well, sometimes it is better to just not say anything at all other than, "I was wrong and I'll never let it happen again." Period. What he said should have just been kept to himself.

Theory:

Maybe this can be taken as a sign that the CU AD and Admin are loosening the reigns on Hawkins a bit. Maybe Hawkins was doing it the way they wanted but when a player of Simas' caliber got into trouble, Hawkins went to Bohn and said, "Listen, Markques is a good kid. If I expel him from the team, it will ruin his life. And if you want this program to excel, we need to be able to get kids like Markques through and we'll need to be able to recruit more like him." Maybe Bohn is seeing the light a little. Also, maybe the school is beginning to see that we have to allow more at risk kids in to be successful. Mac did it that way and most of those at risk kids became academic successes.

I kind of take this one at face value.

We need him to have our best chance at winning. Nothing has worked so far. So re-instate him with a lot of structure and rules, make it his last chance (no more **** ups allowed), and hope for the best.

I kind of take this one at face value.

We need him to have our best chance at winning. Nothing has worked so far. So re-instate him with a lot of structure and rules, make it his last chance (no more **** ups allowed), and hope for the best.
And have him check in every 10 minutes, :lol: Seriously, I bet Hawk has a spy on this kid, tracking him everywhere he goes. Or he has hooked him up with one of his "responsible" guys.

i bet he will still have more punishment ahead of him... not starting or maybe even not playing a few games... who knows?

in any case, the honest truth is i agree with the posters who said they are so desperate for wins that they will overlook this. i'd like to pretend to take the high ground, but i just want to win... i don't want to see them go totally rogue like oregon has done, but we need some wins... i know it is shallow. i can't help it. :lol:

IMO, Simas has two strikes: one for the DUI and one for whatever he did to get suspended last year. I don't think being ineligible should count as a strike, because a lot of college students have a bad semester and he's already paid the price. And although a DUI should be taken seriously, it is a misdemeanor and it shouldn't ruin your life. I think Adkins got suspended for two games and that's what Simas should get (unless last year's suspension was also alcohol related...). I mean the Oregon RB got 1 game for throwing a girl to the ground by her neck?! Sergio Kindle from TX drove his car into a house "while texting", left the scene and was left off the hook completely.

Sergio Kindle from TX drove his car into a house "while texting", left the scene and was left off the hook completely.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the owners of the house were required to make a formal apology to Mr Kindle for building it so close to the street, and ordered to do 1000 hours of community service, later defined as tailgating at the Texas/OU game.:smile2:

In the spirit of full disclosure, the owners of the house were required to make a formal apology to Mr Kindle for building it so close to the street, and ordered to do 1000 hours of community service, later defined as tailgating at the Texas/OU game.:smile2:

Yeah, the homeowners and the Kindle's can hook up with Austin Box's fans (boomer LB - caught urinating in public a 2nd time in 12 months, both while intoxicated). Should be a helluva tailgate.

I'm with BB on this one. I don't think we know everything about the Simas situation. Could be he's already completed some kind of alcohol abuse class or the like. Or perhaps he was very cooperative with the police and/or sincerely apologetic afterwards. Who knows? May be other factors out there we haven't heard about. At any rate, my comic take on the 2 situations down south apply here, in a way. It appears that the program is trying to be a little more like others around the country.

You can't judge a man by his quotes to the press, but it sure seems like Simas doesn't quite get it from the things he says. Also, I don't think dismissing his behavior because it was a DUI and not an assault or "violent crime" is short sighted. Getting a DUI requires a complete lack of planning and foresight. Getting into a fight is often a heat of the moment thing. Also, you very rarely kill innocent bystanders in a fight, you are fall more likely to kill/seriously injure innocent bystanders when you drive drunk.

I was also slightly troubled by the note at the end of the DC column that Stewart is sitting out practice to focus on school work. I really hope he's not going to have eligibility issues considering how seriously thin we are at RB right now.

I don't agree with the implication that getting a DUI when moderately intoxicated is a comparable offense to assaulting someone or doing something that directly and intentionally harms another person. Stupid? Of course. Irresponsible and dangerous? Without a doubt. But to say that a drunk driver is more likely to injure another person than someone who participates in a drunken assault is pure BS IMO.

I am happy to have Simas back and hope he plays every game next year. IMO, he is the best player on our team.

Last edited:
I'm continually amazed at how many people are perfect. Especially when they're int their late teens/early twenties.

I'm continually amazed at how many people are perfect. Especially when they're int their late teens/early twenties.

If we were talking about every person in their late teens / early twenties, this comment would have some merit.

We're not. We're talking about one of the starting wide receivers for a major college football program.

I have no problem with Simas getting no punishment, but I would also have no problem if Hawkins had kicked him off the team altogether.

This story isn't over yet. Alot can happen before the season opener.

I'm taking a wait and see approach to Simas. If he dedicates himself, keeps his nose clean, and is a playmaker, then Dan Hawkins made a good choice.

If Simas ends up slipping in his grades, gets busted for another infraction, and cops an attitude of privalige and entitlement, then DH was wrong. Let's see if the Denver and Boulder media goes after this story or not. Seems to me that the CUAD is deaf when it comes to the fans and media. And the media doesn't have as much fun when both CU and CSU are mired in their current state of suckitude.

I fail to see how Ethan Adkins will be okay with this if Simas doesn't get suspended for at the very least 4 games. That being said, that length of a suspension for a DUI is pretty weak and Hawk should not have dug his own grave. Now on the other hand, seemingly every other school in the nation hands out wrist slaps for a DUI, why should CU be any different?

I fail to see how Ethan Adkins will be okay with this if Simas doesn't get suspended for at the very least 4 games. That being said, that length of a suspension for a DUI is pretty weak and Hawk should not have dug his own grave. Now on the other hand, seemingly every other school in the nation hands out wrist slaps for a DUI, why should CU be any different?

I fail to see how Ethan Adkins' opinion on the punishment should matter one iota. It sounds cold, but if he were a better player maybe he would have been cut the same slack.

People aren't the same and not everyone will be treated the same - that's life.

I fail to see how Ethan Adkins' opinion on the punishment should matter one iota. It sounds cold, but if he were a better player maybe he would have been cut the same slack.

People aren't the same and not everyone will be treated the same - that's life.

I'll never claim life is fair, but consistency is an important trait of leadership, I'd argue.

I'll never claim life is fair, but consistency is an important trait of leadership, I'd argue.

^^^this^^^

Stuff like this just makes Hawk look like he is continuing to fly by the seat of his pants. Yeah, you had a plan, because this wasn't your first rodeo...:rolling_eyes:

I don't know. You always have different rules for your stars. For instance, with guys like Lawrence Taylor and Michael Irvin, Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson would have kicked them to the curb 5 times over if they had been 2nd stringers. Instead, they looked the other way and won Superbowls with them.

Now, I realize that's an NFL example and it's a completely different animal (the only concerns are profitability and winning). But I do think the principle is still applicable to a collegiate environment. Protecting the asset may not be as important, but helping a young man earn a degree/ become a better man is infinitely more important. I don't think Simas does as well when he's away from the team structure of daily practices, workouts and meetings.

why don't you guys on your high horses go ask Coach Mac if there was a different set of rules for michael westbrook as opposed to a 3rd string guy? or, ask gb if there was a different set of rules for sykes as opposed to some third string guy...

star rules exists. always have. i want them to keep the players out of trouble to the extent that they can, but let's not pretend that CU is some tower of virtue.

It's interesting to watch as the line between developing responsible citizens and winning to save your job gets blurry.

I think the messgae is clear that GPAs won't save Hawk's job this year, and for right or wrong, winning is his only chance to hang around after the season.

why don't you guys on your high horses go ask Coach Mac if there was a different set of rules for michael westbrook as opposed to a 3rd string guy? or, ask gb if there was a different set of rules for sykes as opposed to some third string guy...

star rules exists. always have. i want them to keep the players out of trouble to the extent that they can, but let's not pretend that CU is some Gamow tower of virtue.
fify.

I expect stiff punishment soon to come. The announcement will be something like: "Because of his repeated infractions, he will be held out of the first quarter of the Hawai'i game, and also will be be forced to sit should the team make a BCS bowl game."

I expect stiff punishment soon to come. The announcement will be something like: "Because of his repeated infractions, he will be held out of the first quarter of the Hawai'i game, and also will be be forced to sit should the team make a BCS bowl game."

If he misses ANY time in our BCS Title Game, I'm going to be pissed!:thumbsup:

Back