What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So......MacIntyre or DeRuyter?

Tim DeRuyter is no good. He is a 1st year HC whose accomplishments were achieved with Pat Hill's recruits. He is an unproven commodity and former coach Hill could have easily done what he did at Fresno State. Until he wins with his own recruits, taking DeRuyter is a BIG risk.

On the other hand, taking a perennial loser like San Jose State to a top 25 ranking is a HUGE accomplishment that is more indicative of his true worth as a Head Coach. What CU needs is someone who can turn things around with his own recruits ... just like McIntyre has done at SJSU. One more thing, DO NOT forget the Utah State Coach. He is very good. Anderson and McIntyre -YES! DeRuyter - NO!

I don't know much about them personality wise...who is a good fit for CU? Like either one with Stitt....
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Tim DeRuyter is no good. He is a 1st year HC whose accomplishments were achieved with Pat Hill's recruits. He is an unproven commodity and former coach Hill could have easily done what he did at Fresno State. Until he wins with his own recruits, taking DeRuyter is a BIG risk.

On the other hand, taking a perennial loser like San Jose State to a top 25 ranking is a HUGE accomplishment that is more indicative of his true worth as a Head Coach. What CU needs is someone who can turn things around with his own recruits ... just like McIntyre has done at SJSU. One more thing, DO NOT forget the Utah State Coach. He is very good. Anderson and McIntyre -YES! DeRuyter - NO!

I think you are giving Pat Hill a little too much credit. Pat Hill won 10 or more games once in 15 years at Fresno. Apparently winning 10 games with Pat Hill's recruits is not as easy as you depict (at least for Pat Hill).

Per Peter Thamel, SI writer, we're talking to Mike Mac and DeRuyter.

His source could be Ringo for all we know.

I am a fan of both.

Then why didn't he? Hill won four games with largely the same team. You are right about proving recruiting prowess, he has yet to do that. But he was a good D-Coordinator at Air Force, engineered an almost immediate defensive turnaround at A&M and did what Hill couldn't with Hill's players. Disclaimer: I think Pat Hill is a very good coach who did wonders for Fresno St., but there is something to be said for what DeRuyter has done. He has done it all short of building a BCS program with his own players

A big NO! on DeRuyter. I just don't get why we'd be interested in a guy who has been at a place for only one season. HUGE red flag imo.

The more I read about MacIntyre the more I like him.

Then why didn't he? Hill won four games with largely the same team. You are right about proving recruiting prowess, he has yet to do that. But he was a good D-Coordinator at Air Force, engineered an almost immediate defensive turnaround at A&M and did what Hill couldn't with Hill's players. Disclaimer: I think Pat Hill is a very good coach who did wonders for Fresno St., but there is something to be said for what DeRuyter has done. He has done it all short of building a BCS program with his own players
Minus a first-team All-american safety, an all-conference safety, 2/3 of the starting DL and a likely frosh-AA WR who had to redshirt because he wasn't cleared early enough. Phillip Thomas alone makes that a seven-win team.

A big NO! on DeRuyter. I just don't get why we'd be interested in a guy who has been at a place for only one season. HUGE red flag imo.

The more I read about MacIntyre the more I like him.

IDK.... I like what he did at A&M, and I like his Texas and Cali ties. With as bad as we have looked in Cali recently, those Texas ties may come in handy. Also the fact that he is a Zoomie just screams leader to me. I know that isn't a guarantee, but at this point I am willing to gamble.

I like both. However, if forced to choose, I'd go with MacIntyre - primarily because he has 3 years experience as a HC. Realistically, if we're looking at guys with minimal HC experience, we might as well open it up to experienced BCS AQ level coordinators.

Minus a first-team All-american safety, an all-conference safety, 2/3 of the starting DL and a likely frosh-AA WR who had to redshirt because he wasn't cleared early enough. Phillip Thomas alone makes that a seven-win team.

I get this point that the defense the year before D-Root took over lacked several key players and that may have led to their ranking in the 100s. However, even it the two seasons prior, when presumably the defense was not crippled by key injuries, Fresno was ranked in the 80s nationally. In his one season there, the defense is now ranked 27th nationally. Does some of that have to due with players being healthy? You bet. However, give the man his credit, he's got a track record of turning defenses around quickly. If you're looking for a criticism, it's his lack of experience as a head coach turning around entire programs and reports that his recruiting ability may be lackluster.

IDK.... I like what he did at A&M, and I like his Texas and Cali ties. With as bad as we have looked in Cali recently, those Texas ties may come in handy. Also the fact that he is a Zoomie just screams leader to me. I know that isn't a guarantee, but at this point I am willing to gamble.

:lol:

I'm with Orr on this one. As a general rule, the service academies produce bureaucrats, not leaders. (Not to say that I don't respect the men and women who make the commitment required to go there - they have a ton of respect from me, and they do turn out some real leaders, but the general rule is bureaucrat.)

I'm with Orr on this one. As a general rule, the service academies produce bureaucrats, not leaders. (Not to say that I don't respect the men and women who make the commitment required to go there - they have a ton of respect from me, and they do turn out some real leaders, but the general rule is bureaucrat.)

I'm just saying, of all the services...

MacIntyre all day long. He has San Jose State playing to the wire with Stanford.

Yes please.

Flukestradamus is 5 for 5 on coaching changes and rumors thus far. I called McIntyre to CU several days ago in chat. Nobody had heard that rumor yet...I'm shooting for 6 for 6 on predictions bitches.

Flukestradamus is 5 for 5 on coaching changes and rumors thus far. I called McIntyre to CU several days ago in chat. Nobody had heard that rumor yet...I'm shooting for 6 for 6 on predictions bitches.

I'm undefeated in picking coaches the last decade. I always do it in chat too so there is no record.

Flukes, I think it was one of your people who mentioned that Mac did not come across very well I his interview with you guys. Any intel on that?

What about David Cutcliffe? Making 1.8 million a year at Duke. Peyton Manning's old coach. Not sure if he wants to leave the south. But recruiting to Duke can't be easy and they were respectable.

I'm starting to really like the idea of MacIntyre... Also sort of intrigued with Kirby Smart since the search parameters have been adjusted.

Last edited:
Would go with MacIntyre. Lost by 3 to Stanford. Beat LA tech, BYU. The guy knows how to build a program. He is more qualified than Butch Jones. Don't know how Jones was our first choice. Makes you wonder the thought process behind the decision to pick Jones.

I will be pissed if MacIntyre is hired by South Florida before Colorado even talks to him. I would have to imagine that the Colorado job would be much more appealing to him. His recruiting ties can stay intact on the West Coast, he is very familiar with the Pac 12 and Colorado is in a far better conference than South Florida. While South Florida has more fertile recruiting grounds, he would always be fighting an uphill battle against UF, FSU, Miami, and Georgia just to name a few.

I asked this in another thread. Does anyone know if we have actually made contact with or had interviews with either of these guys? I hope so although maybe, Bohn, et. al. still have a surprise up their sleeves.

I will be pissed if MacIntyre is hired by South Florida before Colorado even talks to him. I would have to imagine that the Colorado job would be much more appealing to him. His recruiting ties can stay intact on the West Coast, he is very familiar with the Pac 12 and Colorado is in a far better conference than South Florida. While South Florida has more fertile recruiting grounds, he would always be fighting an uphill battle against UF, FSU, Miami, and Georgia just to name a few.

That is not the battle as they will not win. You just battle for the leftovers with other lesser teams in the SE.

Back