What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So many key seniors ...

im having more fun this season at folsom just walking into the place with my head up cu gear worn proudly...instead of slinking off to the parking lot at halftime to chug 4 beers to wipe out what i just saw

Our DL will take a step back, but not detrimentally (Franke, Jackson, Umu, Lopez and probably a play-ready major recruit) . Our line backers will improve a lot (Gillam, Gamboa, Falo, McCartney, Lewis, and watch out for Maka) and our secondary will be better than everyone thinks (Oliver will be huge, Laguda, Moeller, Sanchez, just need one more CB to step up or come in). If JL sticks around these guys, as a total defense, will be just as good as this year.

I would be more concerned if we werent returning EVERYONE on offense. Might give up a few more points next year, but we will be scoring a ton.

Our DL will take a step back, but not detrimentally (Franke, Jackson, Umu, Lopez and probably a play-ready major recruit) . Our line backers will improve a lot (Gillam, Gamboa, Falo, McCartney, Lewis, and watch out for Maka) and our secondary will be better than everyone thinks (Oliver will be huge, Laguda, Moeller, Sanchez, just need one more CB to step up or come in).

Like Julmisse?

Our DL will take a step back, but not detrimentally (Franke, Jackson, Umu, Lopez and probably a play-ready major recruit) . Our line backers will improve a lot (Gillam, Gamboa, Falo, McCartney, Lewis, and watch out for Maka) and our secondary will be better than everyone thinks (Oliver will be huge, Laguda, Moeller, Sanchez, just need one more CB to step up or come in). If JL sticks around these guys, as a total defense, will be just as good as this year.

I think this is a pretty rosy outlook, especially along the DL. Umu and Lopez are complete unknowns at this juncture. There is a reason Nik keeps hammering home the point about finding a JUCO DT in this class. Linebackers should be solid, especially if McCartney returns to form. FWIW, Maka is likely taking a mission after this season. Secondary should be pretty good, provided we find an impact safety to somewhat replace Thompson.

Really, the defense will take some time to gel, but considering our early season schedule, not the worst thing in the world. No trips to Michigan or anything of the sort.

I think this is a pretty rosy outlook, especially along the DL. Umu and Lopez are complete unknowns at this juncture. There is a reason Nik keeps hammering home the point about finding a JUCO DT in this class. Linebackers should be solid, especially if McCartney returns to form. FWIW, Maka is likely taking a mission after this season. Secondary should be pretty good, provided we find an impact safety to somewhat replace Thompson.

Really, the defense will take some time to gel, but considering our early season schedule, not the worst thing in the world. No trips to Michigan or anything of the sort.
Is McCartney coming back? Thought he was out of eligibility.

Speaking of time to gel, let's not forget we get another month of practice with one more victory. That's going to help everyone, non-starters included.

Yup. Defensive line is going to be one big ??? until otherwise proven.

So were Sampson, Solis, Tupou and Carrol. This staff does seem to have an eye for DL talent
I'm not going to assume their replacements are all going to be as good. That would be extremely optimistic. Those guys are really good this year. I'm not saying the replacements will suck or anything, but to just assume no drop off isn't a more probable than not position.

DL definitely a big question mark and freshman can't step in and produce at that position.

McCartney has a few more years I think and can get a medical RS.

Yup. Defensive line is going to be one big ??? until otherwise proven.
Speaking of time to gel, let's not forget we get another month of practice with one more victory. That's going to help everyone, non-starters included.
Nice I totally forgot about this.

Young defensive players need to get PT the last 5 games. W3 saw Franke spelling Tupou last game in meaningful snaps.

The extra practices with a bowl game is such a plus.

I'm also thinking that the off season work outs may be a little more energized because of the recent bowl game.

We definitely need to address the dline in recruiting. It makes your whole defense better at every level.

There was A LOT of concern just 2 months ago about multiple positions on this team, including WR, RB, OL, LB and QB. A lot of overreaction in here 10 months before the 2017 opener.

DL definitely a big question mark and freshman can't step in and produce at that position.

McCartney has a few more years I think and can get a medical RS.
Ain't askin' freshman to.
How about RS sophs and Jrs at all positions on the DL, all after one more year with Drew Wilson as S&C coach?
Never underestimate a S&C guy who emphasizes the basic OLY lifts. NEVER!!!

Ain't askin' freshman to.
How about RS sophs and Jrs at all positions on the DL, all after one more year with Drew Wilson as S&C coach?
Never underestimate a S&C guy who emphasizes the basic OLY lifts. NEVER!!!
They do circuit work too I'm guessing.

Don't underestimate guys who have been in the system for three years and are getting their chance, either. That's what MM is building here and it's a system that takes a while to get going but once it does can be extremely effective. Guys like Solis, Tupou and Kafovalu were not big time recruits, either. They were guys who had potential. We have a lot of those types of guys on the two deep who will be getting a lot of playing time next year.

That said, I worry most about the loss of Tupou. He is a monster and it will be difficult to replace him.

Laguda, Moeller, Oliver, Gillam, Evan White, Gamboa, Falo, Leo Jackson, Franke have all played well this season or in the past.

As others have said we probably need a JC CB and JC NT to step in and the Defense will be fine. The loss of Jalin Burrell hurts.

Getting Thompson and Rogers on the Dline would go a long ways toward easing the transition.

What's up with Lyle Tuiloma?

Don't underestimate guys who have been in the system for three years and are getting their chance, either. That's what MM is building here and it's a system that takes a while to get going but once it does can be extremely effective. Guys like Solis, Tupou and Kafovalu were not big time recruits, either. They were guys who had potential. We have a lot of those types of guys on the two deep who will be getting a lot of playing time next year.

That said, I worry most about the loss of Tupou. He is a monster and it will be difficult to replace him.
Weren't Samson and Solis pretty big recruits? They had atleast a couple power five offers from some bigger programs.

I don't recall there being a great deal of excitement over those guys when recruited. I'm just going off memory, though. Seems like the last four years have been a steady diet of two or three guys in each class who we really liked (Carr, for instance), and a bunch of guys we hoped would develop if given time and experience.

There's a strong foundation to build around next season on defense.

Linebacker will be the strength. McCartney-Gillam-Gamboa-Falo is an excellent group that has experienced depth behind it.

In the secondary, we have one shutdown corner in Oliver. Experience from Laguda and Moeller. Some guys are going to need to step up, but the foundation is there to be a good secondary.

Similarly on the DL. Guys like Jackson, Franke and Coleman give a nice foundation to build from but we need players to step up.

Everyone I named above is at least a 3rd year guy next year. So that's why I say there's a solid foundation on defense. Most of the 2-deep will be juniors or seniors. It's just going to be time for some of the youth to make an impact. Fortunately, it's a weak 3-game OOC schedule to give the defense time to get its sea legs before Pac-12 play starts.

Last edited:
Back