What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So who are some assistants that may end up here next year?

Timbuff10

Of course it all depends on who the HC is, but I am thinking that the staff is probably more important than who the head guy is.

One thing they really need to do is to try and bring in future head coaches. When the program, any program, runs well the rest of the staff are made up of types who can move on or take over if you HC moves on for some reason. Look back at when CU was good, we had tons of future head coaches on the staff.

Can we take some of Brady Hoke's assistants at SDSU? Rocky Long and Al Borges would be great DC/OC's under any coach we hire. I'm just shocked that a school like that (who's in more dire straits financially than CU) can get that caliber of coaches on that staff.

After the let's hire from Big12/Pac10 talk, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cale Gundy hired away from OU.

I'd like to hire Curtis Bray (D-Line coach) away from Iowa State. He gets credited for recruiting Flacco and Fitzgerald to Pitt.

There are a few guys I'd want on our staff as assistants. I think the best approach is to have a mix of experienced veteran assistants along with young assistants who could potentially become Head Coaches down the road. It says a lot about a program with the coaching tree established from it.

I saw in my other thread about Bobby Kennedy from Texas making $193K as WR coach/recruiting coordinator. If Texas fires due to their offensive woes this year, we might be able to get him at a slightly discounted rate. Hopefully we can give him a bump in title as co-offensive coordinator while he takes over as WR coach/recruiting coordinator.

Another poster suggested Tim Cross, who has ties to the Colorado area would be good to have on staff. If hes not retained at Minnesota, due to Brewster's termination he would be nice to have on staff at Defensive Line coach.

For our Defensive Coordinator, I would look no further than Pete Rekstis, the current Defensive Coordinator for Kent State. He is a young guy who has produced top defenses nationally at Kent State, despite the obvious lower talent level they have. His defense ranks #1 nationally in rush defense holding opponents to 69 yards per game. Runs a 3-4 that pressures the offense. Would be successful in terms of slowing down teams like Arizona & Utah who run their offenses mostly from the shotgun.

Hopefully we can keep Brian Cabral on staff. Having him share a co-Defensive Coordinator role with Rekstis would be beneficial to both. Cabral's experience, familiarity with the program, and success would work well in terms of offering a new dynamic to Rekstis' defense. Both are LB's coaches and them putting their heads together could help us put out a much improved defense.

As our QB coach I would want to take a look at Paul Hackett. If we can pull him out of the NFL with Oakland, and back into the college ranks it would be great to have on staff. Hes spent a few years as a Head Coach on the BCS level with USC. His experience & teaching would be good to help with our QB's.

Those are the only ones I can think of.

I think this is one of the biggest plusses in the Hire Mac camp. He has a track record of having an excellent eye for coaching talent, based on the sheer number that went on to be head coaches. If Mac is the guy, I have complete faith that he will identify (or has already identified) top flight assistant coaches.

Back