What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So who do you want as the new Head Coach?

Still think they would leave for CU because they wont have to go far and the lure of the Big XII is still strong. Most succesful head coaches are egotistical leaders that continue to want a bigger challenge.

They don´t even have to be egoistical leaders, but I guess it´s basic human nature that you may want a new and bigger challenge from time to time.

They don´t even have to be egoistical leaders, but I guess it´s basic human nature that you may want a new and bigger challenge from time to time.
Not sure that if you compare CU with Utah and BYU, it is a slam dunk that we are a significant upgrade, especially considering how we are hamstrung in so many ways...

If they succeed as CU, they would carry more fame, wealth, and glory than have at Utah. In the CFB world the Utah schools are still seen at lower tier football teams becasue of the conference their in. Not fair? Perhaps not, but no one expects much of them, and are still surprised when they do succeed. Utah in an undefeated season still has to fight tooth and nail to get any attention from the BCS schools, the NCAA and the football media as a legitimate contender. It can cause enough frustration for an HC to make them want to leave for a BCS school until things change.

Not sure that if you compare CU with Utah and BYU, it is a slam dunk that we are a significant upgrade, especially considering how we are hamstrung in so many ways...

I don´t disagree, but life can be funny sometimes.

I see where you're coming from and used to feel that way, but not any more.

I think the best way to appease donors/alums is to get CU back on the national stage where they belong.

If that happens through a coach with CU ties, then all the better.

But I'd rather take the coach that can get CU to prominence over one mired in mediocrity if it means hiring outside the CU family.

Hawkins inability to get it done at CU has nothing to do with his prior lack of ties to the program and everything to do with being a mediocre coach at best...

The reason CU rose to prominence in our minds is due to the fact that they hired outside of the CU family when they took a Michigan guy and brought him here. I don't see that we have to have a CU guy--but the guy from Florida that was former CU would still be a top choice for me. And (shudder) and NU guy in Turner Gill. Both great choices. Neither one will be approachable until after the season.

Here is a list:

Nuimotolo (sp?), form Navy

Troy Calhoun at AFA

Brian Kelly at Cincy, although I don't know why he'd jump ship for CU

Brent Venables, although I'm not wild about this choice

Art Briles, he was a candidate I thought the Buffs should have looked at last time around, and he's probably got a better thing going at Baylor, how sad is that? Plus he may not want to leave Texas

Gary Patterson, another chubby white guy at TCU

Bronco Mendenhall from Mormonland, he'd probably love a cold beer about now

Kyle Whittingham, although he also probably has a better gig right now

Spike Dykes, asst. at AZ, if you are going to run a spread and throw it a bunch, you might as well get somebody who knows how to do it

Major Applewhite, UT asst., can't beat 'em, hire away their staff

Bobby Kennedy, UT asst. (see above)

Lastly, and I hate to say it, Turner Gill

I say Bill Callahan, he knew how to recruit and he brings pro experience. He coached the Raiders which play Denver so I think he is familiar with the area.

I would like to ask Coach Mac back the most if Snyder can leave retirement so can Mac. He absolutely ruled. Please come back. Just no Barnett and Skippy, though.

I say Bill Callahan, he knew how to recruit and he brings pro experience. He coached the Raiders which play Denver so I think he is familiar with the area.

I would like to ask Coach Mac back the most if Snyder can leave retirement so can Mac. He absolutely ruled. Please come back. Just no Barnett and Skippy, though.
Troll. I gave you the benefit of a doubt...get lost.

Here is a list:
Spike Dykes, asst. at AZ, if you are going to run a spread and throw it a bunch, you might as well get somebody who knows how to do it

I was going to bring up that name but you beat me to the punch.

I think we need to focus on what kind of offense we should have and then narrow the list down.

Dykes learned under Mike Leach at TT and is doing fine under Mike Stoops at Arizona.

Remember when we were struggling under Big Mac and he switched to the wishbone just like the top teams from the Big 8 were doing at the time? I think we need to get with the program in the Big 12 conference.

Has anyone suggested Joe Glenn?

Winner of national championships at UNC. Great spokesman. Great person.

History with the state.

Joe Glenn would have been my choice 10 years ago. Not now. I wouldn't mind having him on the staff, though. He knows a lot of football.

get someone with experience at a big-time program. no more on the job training. get someone who is a recruiting fiend. get someone who has lots of contacts and is established in the major college coaching ranks. he'll bring in assistants who don't suck and who will also be recruiting fiends. get someone who can go into either california or texas and kick ass for recruits.

no lower division guys. no sentimental favorites. i want a proven freaking professional who can move the dial for us.

Not that it is even an option, but did you see what sarkisian and the USC DC did for Washington this week. they looked pretty good against an overrated LSU team with that is a mile above UW in the athleticism department!

get someone with experience at a big-time program. no more on the job training. get someone who is a recruiting fiend. get someone who has lots of contacts and is established in the major college coaching ranks. he'll bring in assistants who don't suck and who will also be recruiting fiends. get someone who can go into either california or texas and kick ass for recruits.

no lower division guys. no sentimental favorites. i want a proven freaking professional who can move the dial for us.

Sounds like you want Chuck Heater.

A couple more I would consider:

DeWayne Walker
Ron English
Ed Ogeron
Steve Mariucci

I think Mark Richt would work well at Colorado.

Sounds like you want Chuck Heater.

I am liking this idea more by the day. Retain Cabral and Brown. Maybe Kiesau, if what we saw on Sunday is not what he would do free from Hawk's influence - he is the best recruiter on the current staff, by far. I'd love to see Bieniemy as an assistant for recruiting purposes, but it would probably mean making him the offensive coordiantor, and I'd want to be very careful about his ability to plan an offense. Bring in a couple tough as nails asskickers to toughen up the o and d lines. Then make personal visits to every 4* and better QB in the country, with the promise of early playing time in hand....

Troll. I gave you the benefit of a doubt...get lost.

Not a troll; what is one anyway? Do they still live under bridges? I haven't insulted anyone on these boards or used profanity. I like to participate as well as anyone, and I offer a lot to the table.

Back on the subject of coaches, I like Paul Johnson, maybe he can bring back some of that old skool I-bone or better yet try Gerry Dinardo who was assistant coach of the year when CU won it all. Would be cool.

What about Mike Heimerdinger, OC for tennesee Titans...I know he is an NFL guy, but he worked with the broncos and I could see him doing well with CU for recruiting and with Offensive style. Pound the ball pro style running attack

heater might be good, if we could get him out of florida. he might be thinking he's almost due for a 2mm+ sec job, however.

dewayne walker can recruit too, but i don't know much else about him. i could see him bringing in embree and bienemy.

i'd stay away from nfl guys, mostly. i think we need a badass recruiter and someone who knows how to run and administer a major program. nfl guys worry me. but, i admit i am scarred from fairbanks to this day. i thought butch davis would have been a great hire after gb got whacked. and, he was supposedly super-interested in the job, but CU didn't show him any love.

a lot of folks want the sentimental choice... like embree. i am not sure that is the right answer. altho when he interviewed for the job when hawk was hired, he supposedly presented a plan that included a really, really impressive group of assistants. so, maybe it would work.

the thing about hawkins is that he's not only over his head, but he's surrounded himself with a lot of guys who aren't big-time program guys, too. coach brown has obviously been around the majors and cabral, too. but, guys like collins and riddle and bandison? and, then you add in these o-coordinators who have never called plays and it isn't pretty to watch.

the thing about hawkins is that he's not only over his head, but he's surrounded himself with a lot of guys who aren't big-time program guys, too. coach brown has obviously been around the majors and cabral, too. but, guys like collins and riddle and bandison? and, then you add in these o-coordinators who have never called plays and it isn't pretty to watch.

Kiseau came here from Cal. Helfrich from ASU. I think Collins and the rest of them were Boise guys, though.

And I too, have come to the conclusion that Hawk is in way over his head. The folksy yarn has worn thin, and all that's left is a guy who can't even call a timeout when he needs to. This, more than anything, is what has me extremely depressed. Here we are in year four, and Hawk doesn't even know to call a timeout with 50 seconds left in the first half so he can get the ball back? That, right there, showed me just about everything I needed to know about his coaching ability. It really hurts saying that, because we've just thrown away four years.

Back