1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, will success in bball rub off on football?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DBT, Oct 4, 2011.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

:lol: Can't believe I'm hoping CU basketball might actually help CU football. I know that last year Embree brought a bunch of recruits to one of the CU bball games. In the future, that might be a very positive experience for them. Especially if they get to talk to some of the bball guys and hear positive things about CU.

2. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

no.

signed,

john wooden, coach k, and dean smith

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

New facilities will.

4. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

The ****?

5. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Exposure is always a good thing but it's not like a football recruit is going to want to come here because we have a decent basketball team, and "success" for the basketball team is probably a year or two away anyways.

For those keeping score Boyle has a four man class and a total of 9 four-star ratings while Embree has zero four-star ratings in a 15 man class.

6. Quattro

Well who had more success last season? The basketball team that got tons of press for being screwed out of the tournament and got national news for it and then made a NIT run or a 5-7 football team that hasn't had a winning season since 2005 and hasn't been worth a damn since we played and beat Missouri on 11/05/05?

7. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

What does this have to do with my post or the topic of the thread at all for that matter?

8. Quattro

You were talking about the difference between Boyle's commits and Embree's commits for this class.

9. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Embree and his staff's biggest selling point was their ability to recruit.

10. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

DBT what we can hope for is continued success for the Bball programs so the are not the constant resource suck to the AD that they have always been.

Just think how much more money the football program and the AD would have if the bball team averaged 14,000 a night and made it to the tourney every year.

11. Quattro

Yes but it's easier to recruit when you have a successful season. CU hasn't had a successful season since either 2005 (winning season, lost bowl game) or 2004 (8-5, bowl win); depending how you look at it. Boyle has last years success to fall back on. Embree only has a vision. For the '08 class for football, we were coming off of a bowl game (although we lost), and recruits bought into that.

12. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Huge difference no, some difference, certainly could.

The more CU is mentioned on the national media in a postive light the better it is for all sports. LOI day is in the middle of BB season, it is very concievable that a kid who is wavering between CU and some other school might be impressed by hearing and seeing CU on sportscenter or having games on TV.

It is also posible the if a recruit visits during BB season he may be impressed by a loud enthusiastic crowd at the CEC. It may be enough to make him think, "These people care about their teams and support them." in a general sense, much better than a recruit going to a BB game with 2500 people and no enthusiasm.

Third thing is that recruits like to be associated with winners, if they are talking with their friends who are pushing another school or even a recruiting coach it is easier to defend going to CU when they can associate it with winning.

GoBuffs08 is also dead on with his assessment of the financial impact. Turn mens BB into a revenue generator instead of a revenue drag and the whole AD could see the benefits, along with that winning inspires winning. If the BB team is winning that may provide some more motivation to the FB team.

Each of these are not major things in themselves but the cummulative impact of BB success could make a difference for FB.

13. DBT

Yeah, I was thinking about that and was going to post something similar. If men's bball can become a revenue generator, it can only help. Also, I do honestly think what is happening with the bball program should be a model for football. New facilities, hitting on some undervalued talent, a little success and then attracting more top talent. If Embree and Bienemy can recruit in football like Boyle is in bball, we will be all right.

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

D3H, you have to understand that we really have to lower our standards for what constitutes a good recruiting class this year. Embree and his staff just have too much to overcome. Maybe in a couple years we can threaten to have a mediocre Pac-12 class, but not now. Probably not even next year!

15. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

So Boyle's getting better players then Embree because he went to the NIT (not the NCAA's) while the football team went 5-7? So if we had beat Nebraska the last game of the season and went to a bowl game then Embree would be doing a lot better on the recruiting trail? Nevermind the fact that the football program his a history of success while the basketball program has a history of sucking? There's more to recruiting then how good the team is. Hawk got a top-15 class coming off a 6-7 season, UVA won 3 games last year and they currently have a top-25 class, Vanderbilt won 2 games last year and they currently have a top-25 class.

16. Quattro

Big difference between Virginia and CU. Virginia sits in a hot bed of recruiting, where as CU does not. Virginia won 4 games last year with a new head coach and in 2010 had the #25 class, but he had a whole cycle to do it, not thirteen days. Virginia is also 3-2 this year thus far, compared to 1-4.

Vandy is a bit weird but with Tennessee under fire from the NCAA, Vandy has stared stealing those recruits.

17. Duff Man

Nice.

18. Quattro

Would you dispute that if you're sitting in a recruiting hot bed is easier to recruit than if you have to get damn near all your prospects from out of state?

19. JWP303

JWP303 Active Member

Our fans are great at jumping the gun. Can we wait til we actually accomplish something in basketball before we start talking like we've turned the corner?

20. Duff Man

Sure, but that rings a bit hollow when just about every elite in-state prospect bypasses CU in a pretty strong year for in-state prospects. It also should not be a built-in excuse for the coaching staff.

Either they win games by coaching guys up or recruit well above their record. Those are the options. Otherwise, we are just spinning our wheels here.

21. Quattro

Agreed there's no reason we should lose out on the Colorado guys and I'm not sure how many bridges Hawkins burned while he was here with the local high schools. Pretty much as I see it, we can build a base with quality 3* players with a 4* or two, while making the OOC with three wins so that we can head into conference play 3-0 and need three wins to get to a bowl game and then we will start recruiting at a high level like we expect.

22. DBT

Hater!

23. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

Can we at least give the coaches until signing day before saying they whiffed on all the in-state prospects? Not saying they'll flip any of them, but let's see how it plays out. I also think it will be interesting to see how the team plays the rest of the year. They really have nothing to lose at this point so hopefully that will translate into playing better.

24. JWP303

JWP303 Active Member

Seriously though. It reminds me of everyone's over-sized expectations coming into the football season. Coaching can only do so much. I like the strides we're making, but I sort of reject your premise that CU Men's BB has been successful to date.

25. bigbang

bigbang Member

Basketball 12 class is looking really really good.

26. DBT

First, did you notice the :lol:? Second, I was referring to bball signing two top 100 recruits who, obviously, could have gone just about anywhere but apparently have chosen CU. Third, what is so wrong about believing and stating that CU bball is turning the corner? All the evidence points that way. It may take another year or two, but I believe. And if CU can turn bball around...well...

Oh. One more thing. I said, "Will success...". Not, "Will the success...".

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  27. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I've got my doubts about how good of a coach he is, but you've got to hand in to him -- he's kicking ass in recruiting at a school with little to no history of success and academic requirements even more stringent than our own. The success isn't because they're 3-2, they are horrendous this year just like CU (they beat Idaho in OT on Saturday because Idaho decided to go for 2 and failed), it's because recruits are really buying into the vision he's selling for the future. It isn't just Virginia he's recruiting successfully, either, he's been having solid success out of state too -- he somehow plucked QB Greyson Lambert from the thick of SEC country.

28. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

He's proven he can coach. He won a lot more games at UNC than he had any right to based on the talent he had.

He's proving he can recruit, at least based on what others think of the guys he is recruiting, he's getting guys that other school want.

There is a question about if he can coach top players as well as he coached lower level players since he hasn't done it yet. I'm betting he can.

29. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

he's talking about UVA football

30. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

UVA has some inherent advantages. Great academics, Charlottesville is a great town, really nice campus.