What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So you are telling me there's a chance for Dinwiddie's return:

The draft is in 5 months. Is a team going to spend a #1 pick on a guy who hasn't finished rehab? I'd think not

This isn't 1982. This is 2014 and it's an ACL. Pretty straight forward repair. Doctors will check it out and if it's good, they will bless it with high certainty. Spencer has shown all he needs to show at this level, and his summer with the USA team.

Coming back exposes himself to other injuries, with nothing further to gain.

My opinion is that he is gone.

Last edited:
And that's an "if" right there. There's no guarantee that he'll be better either. You may THINK there's only upside, but that's not always the case. The Draft favors those who leave early rather than those who stay trying to boost their stock.

Yes, his stock can go up, it can also go down.

My personal choice would be for him to stay as well, but that's the CU fan in me talking.

So, you're saying his stock could go up, but it could also go down? Strong stand there...

With jg's post below, it sounds like Spencer's plan hasn't changed at all with the injury, so this is just idol talk, but it has nothing to do with selfishly wanting him back. Last year, I was one of the few arguing that Dre SHOULD leave. This time around, I'm just not so sure with the Mayor. I hope everything goes well and he has a successful career in the NBA. My gut says that he has a lot more to show scouts, though, and, injuries aside, has more to gain than lose by coming back for his senior year. That said, I've stated several times that, if he gets a 1st round grade, he has to go. I just don't see where being a 2nd round pick is in his best interest, unlike Dre last year.

Really?

Kenyan Martin (hurt when drafted #1), Ricky Rubio (drafted knowing he was going back to Europe), Nerlens Noel (hurt when drafted and still hasn't played), Axel Hervelle (nuggets drafted him knowing he'd go back to Europe).

This is hardly an unprecedented case Spencer is in.

I'd argue that all of those players are not really comparable to Spencer. Noel was either the 1st or 2nd best recruit in the nation. Martin was the Consensus National Player of the Year and only broke his leg. There might not have been a more hyped foreign prospect in 10 years then Rubio. Hervelle was a late 2nd round pick and pretty much the definition of a draft and stash player. Obviously players in Spencer's situation have gotten drafted before, but almost none of the names thrown out are comparable to him

I'd argue that all of those players are not really comparable to Spencer. Noel was either the 1st or 2nd best recruit in the nation. Martin was the Consensus National Player of the Year and only broke his leg. There might not have been a more hyped foreign prospect in 10 years then Rubio. Hervelle was a late 2nd round pick and pretty much the definition of a draft and stash player. Obviously players in Spencer's situation have gotten drafted before, but almost none of the names thrown out are comparable to him

I was trying to think of comparable players and couldn't come up with any, but I pretty much stop paying attention to basketball in April. Who are guys that we can compare to Spencer?

So, you're saying his stock could go up, but it could also go down? Strong stand there...

With jg's post below, it sounds like Spencer's plan hasn't changed at all with the injury, so this is just idol talk, but it has nothing to do with selfishly wanting him back. Last year, I was one of the few arguing that Dre SHOULD leave. This time around, I'm just not so sure with the Mayor. I hope everything goes well and he has a successful career in the NBA. My gut says that he has a lot more to show scouts, though, and, injuries aside, has more to gain than lose by coming back for his senior year. That said, I've stated several times that, if he gets a 1st round grade, he has to go. I just don't see where being a 2nd round pick is in his best interest, unlike Dre last year.
I'm not claiming to say anything revolutionary. Your post was if healthy, you thought he should comeback if he wasn't first round pick, I don't necessarily agree with that.

I was trying to think of comparable players and couldn't come up with any, but I pretty much stop paying attention to basketball in April. Who are guys that we can compare to Spencer?

Kyle Lowry comes to mind. Guess DeJuan Blair, but that was more of an issue of not having any ACL period. But in most cases a player with an ACL injury returns for another year, if possible. Spencer might be the lone exception of someone in the last 5-10 years that was seen as a late 1st round pick by most, suffered the injury and will be unlikely to be 100% when he works out for teams, yet still be a 1st round pick

Anyone know what the projection from the NBA advisory committee was for Spencer last year? Factor in the ACL issue, stagnant stats from last year to this year, and the fact that its a better draft, I would think that projection would be about half a round lower at least.

Anyone know what the projection from the NBA advisory committee was for Spencer last year? Factor in the ACL issue, stagnant stats from last year to this year, and the fact that its a better draft, I would think that projection would be about half a round lower at least.

Projected around where Dre was, but a bit higher. Late first / early second with a possibility that a team would jump on him ahead of that.

The point about him maybe being in worse position this year: it's valid.

I have long argued that he should get paid. But that was contingent on feeling confident about early 2nd and a guaranteed contract. Most of the chatter is that Spencer is being advised to return for his senior year, show he's healthy, and enter what should be a less stacked draft in 2015. Part of what feeds into that is that he's a big PG. Big PGs (over 6'4") tend to have long careers so the NBA isn't as concerned about getting them at 19 or 20 years old instead of 21 or 22. If they're any good, they'll be good into their mid-30s.

Projected around where Dre was, but a bit higher. Late first / early second with a possibility that a team would jump on him ahead of that.

The point about him maybe being in worse position this year: it's valid.

I have long argued that he should get paid. But that was contingent on feeling confident about early 2nd and a guaranteed contract. Most of the chatter is that Spencer is being advised to return for his senior year, show he's healthy, and enter what should be a less stacked draft in 2015. Part of what feeds into that is that he's a big PG. Big PGs (over 6'4") tend to have long careers so the NBA isn't as concerned about getting them at 19 or 20 years old instead of 21 or 22. If they're any good, they'll be good into their mid-30s.
That's good to hear for the buffs, but if I had to bet on it I would say he still declares. Its just a hunch.

The way booker, scott, and XJ are playing... If spencer came back. Oh boy.

Still I really really doubt that that is a possibility.

Still I really really doubt that that is a possibility.

I don't see how CU wouldn't be a preseason Top10 team with Spencer back. Just the thought of that happening gets me so...I get so...It would be so...I'll be right back.

oRccm4X.gif

As much as I want Dinwiddie back, if he can get a promise from a team that they'll draft in the 1st he should jump. Take the guaranteed paycheck and get paid to rehab and get back to health. But if he ends up as a projected 2nd rounder, I say he should stay another year as it'd be a top 10 team, this year's draft class is stacked, and he would likely get drafted higher if he stayed and put up the kind of season I expect him to as a senior on a stacked team. And he'd also end up with a degree, which is a very good fall back option.

His stock on the draft boards isnt high right now, but as we found out last year, all he needs is 1 team telling him they'll draft him in the first round for him to go and get paid.

100% my own opinion from my admittedly limited looks at him during the Washington game.

I think he is gone. Gordon was locked in on the game and had coaching staff (or someone) in his ear whenever I looked over. Spencer had his head down looking at a phone.

Now maybe it was bad timing, or maybe he was watching the Allbuffs chat room to see what the response would be for Wesley's injury - but my impression was passing interest. Then again maybe he was still dealing with painkillers, or pain, or the emotions of not being out there.... I hope that whatever happens he feels that CU is a home for him and that he is welcome here in whatever capacity, as a player or an alum.

100% my own opinion from my admittedly limited looks at him during the Washington game.

I think he is gone. Gordon was locked in on the game and had coaching staff (or someone) in his ear whenever I looked over. Spencer had his head down looking at a phone.

Now maybe it was bad timing, or maybe he was watching the Allbuffs chat room to see what the response would be for Wesley's injury - but my impression was passing interest. Then again maybe he was still dealing with painkillers, or pain, or the emotions of not being out there.... I hope that whatever happens he feels that CU is a home for him and that he is welcome here in whatever capacity, as a player or an alum.

In fairness to Spencer, that is an apples/oranges comparison considering that Wes needed to get himself ready to come back and play this week. He needs to be more engaged. With injured players, no matter how good and how respected, it can be a detriment to the team if they are too involved. Other leaders who are actually on the court need to step up.

It also could have been a rare moment. I know in the USC and UCLA games, I was watching and Spencer was a split second away from grabbing a clipboard and showing guys stuff. He was really involved.

I don't know much about the draft and less about drafting injured players, but I still think it is an extremely slim chance Spencer doesn't go. I also don't think there is a "wrong" choice for him. I believe he will be on an NBA roster two years from now either way and will remain on one for at least a few years for his career. Whether he goes this year or comes back for his Senior season, there shouldn't be much difference in his future.

One thing's for sure- this team is going to look a lot different without Dinwiddie & Booker in a couple years. That's going to be weird.

There was a brief discussion on KOA about any silver linings that come from Spencer's injury. They were concentrating on the possibility that he might return for another year. That's not the silver lining, IMO. The silver lining is that guys like Hopkins, Thomas, Talton and King are all getting extra minutes this year that could provide solid depth in the next couple years.

Yeah, this team will be much better in 2014/15 as the young guys grew up in a hurry.

Not to mention that Booker, XJ, and Scott have also had to grow up quicker as well. They look like men suddenly.

There was a brief discussion on KOA about any silver linings that come from Spencer's injury. They were concentrating on the possibility that he might return for another year. That's not the silver lining, IMO. The silver lining is that guys like Hopkins, Thomas, Talton and King are all getting extra minutes this year that could provide solid depth in the next couple years.

Bingo. Consider the remainder of this season like an extended training camp for next year.

FWIW, I heard a rumor that Tad is looking at guys for the '14 class, so it sounds like the staff is operating under the assumption that Spencer is probably leaving.

Bingo. Consider the remainder of this season like an extended training camp for next year.

FWIW, I heard a rumor that Tad is looking at guys for the '14 class, so it sounds like the staff is operating under the assumption that Spencer is probably leaving.

Unless spencer gets told explicitly by half the league that he WILL NOT be drafted in the first round, I think he is gone. Then again he really needs to look at how deep this draft is. Probably one of the biggest reason Dre left when he did was how stacked the draft is this year vs the previous year.

Im no draft expert, but I think the depth in this years draft and the injury really is going to hurt him pretty bad in terms of becoming a first round.
It's sounding like embiid will return next year, opening up 1 spot in the first round, but other than that, this is a stacked draft and he would have been right in the thick of things but now I think he's on the outside looking in.
Im all in favor of guys getting paid, but I just dont think that he'll go in the first round at this point.

Where are you hearing Embiid will return?

Embiid came out a few weeks ago and said that it was no sure thing that he was leaving - seemed to imply that he was leaning toward staying.

My money is still on him leaving, but he does seem to be undecided at this point.

Embiid came out a few weeks ago and said that it was no sure thing that he was leaving - seemed to imply that he was leaning toward staying.

My money is still on him leaving, but he does seem to be undecided at this point.

He hit the freshman wall in a big way and has needed to shut it down for a week or so. I'm guess that the NBA depends on how he returns and whether he has a big NCAA tournament.

Back