What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So you are telling me there's a chance for Dinwiddie's return:

Embiid came out a few weeks ago and said that it was no sure thing that he was leaving - seemed to imply that he was leaning toward staying.

Sounds kind of like Spencer's "top 15" comment to me. The kid is going to be the #1 pick this year. He HAS to go.

There was something on embiid returning (possibly) on espn, and his family is pretty rich back home, so he doesnt NEED the money.
He's getting pretty beat up down the stretch (similar to jelly last year), and I think has to sit a few games to rest.
He's going to be a top pick this year, but probably will next year too (barring injury)

will see where the chips fall with other players entering and declaring. Some players at his position will rise and fall, so will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm still in the camp of those that cover the draft for a living and watch more college basketball then me. and that is if Spencer wants to be a 1st round pick, it is likely more beneficial for Spencer to come back then it is for him to declare now. Personally, I think he'll reach that same conclusion as well, but who really knows? Hard to see either decision as a given.

He's going to be a top pick this year, but probably will next year too (barring injury)

That's what everyone said about Marcus Smart. The latest ESPN mock draft had him going #14. Now, he won't go that low, but he's going to go somewhere between 5-7. He would have been #2 at worst last year.

I'm a big believer in going pro as soon as you can. There's no upside.

That's what everyone said about Marcus Smart. The latest ESPN mock draft had him going #14. Now, he won't go that low, but he's going to go somewhere between 5-7. He would have been #2 at worst last year.

I'm a big believer in going pro as soon as you can. There's no upside.
Once you're a lottery pick, there's limited upside at best and obviously the higher you are supposed to go, the even less upside there is. One of those "striking while the iron is hot" things.

Spencer Also did an interview with CBS 4 recently, but I cant find it online.
[tweet]
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>had good chat w/ <a href="https://twitter.com/SDinwiddie_25">@Sdinwiddie_25</a> 2day. Thoughtful, funny, loves waffles @ Roscoe's in LA &amp; can't say enuff about Skia's play. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cubuffs&amp;src=hash">#cubuffs</a></p>&mdash; Eric Christensen (@cbseric) <a href="https://twitter.com/cbseric/statuses/435922256758202368">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[/tweet]

Last edited:
Andy Katz actually said that before the ACL injury Spencer was definitely gone. He then said that Spencer is still leaning toward declaring for the draft, but that he will evaluate and consider all of his options before deciding.

I hope he comes back because the draft will be weaker next year, but if he can get a team to draft him in round 1, he should go. No question. Get paid.

If not, then it is a tough choice. Selfishly as a fan, I think he should stay and come back and help lead this team to new heights!

Andy Katz actually said that before the ACL injury Spencer was definitely gone. He then said that Spencer is still leaning toward declaring for the draft, but that he will evaluate and consider all of his options before deciding.

Excuse me while I wipe my chin and go into a daydream about a starting backcourt of Senior Mayor and Senior Ski with depth of Junior Talton, Soph J-Hop, Soph Fletch and Frosh Dom.

Ryan-Reynolds-Drooling-Reaction-Gif.gif

Just found this:

[video=youtube;KYnbNkl3t1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYnbNkl3t1s[/video]

Can't believe the BB forum didn't blow up on this news. It is hard to read that article and not feel increasingly confident that he is probably coming back next year. It is unfortunate for him that he had to suffer this injury but if he does come back and works his way as a lottery pick while taking us into the Sweet 16 or better, maybe it will have been worth it.

Now, if he can get some certainty that he will be picked in Rd 1 than he should and will go. But if you look at the recent mock drafts it doesn't look good for that.

I feel like I'm reading a different article than you guys.

"There's always the chance that I don't come back the same," he said. "If that happens, that means I'm a European player, which hurts. If I come back (to CU) and I'm not the same and I play my way all the way off the (NBA) table, then I'm not even going to get a shot.

"I have no doubt that I'm going to be the same player, but the fear of getting hurt again is definitely going to be there. If I were to come back and get hurt again, then it's over. That becomes such an uphill battle (to get to the NBA at that point)."

He's gone. The quotes about if he's a second round pick and there's uncertainty is just him playing PR.

It really isn't anything new in my mind. If he gets that first round grade I knew he would be gone, and that is what he has said. If he gets a 2nd round then he has to actually weigh his options and decide. Nothing new for me. I think a team like the Knicks or the Sun or even the Nuggets need his type of talents badly.

Can't believe the BB forum didn't blow up on this news. It is hard to read that article and not feel increasingly confident that he is probably coming back next year. It is unfortunate for him that he had to suffer this injury but if he does come back and works his way as a lottery pick while taking us into the Sweet 16 or better, maybe it will have been worth it.

Now, if he can get some certainty that he will be picked in Rd 1 than he should and will go. But if you look at the recent mock drafts it doesn't look good for that.
I wasn't encouraged much. Maybe a little that he may come back if his draft stock falls. But he also discussed the downside of coming back and not performing well and/or getting hurt again.

Why does everybody want him to come back again? Is it because you can't see through your own selfishness to realize that a 20 year old kid had his his life dream within reach and then taken away? That he's doing everything to try to make that dream a reality. That CU is a back-up plan. If you have "hope" in this scenario that he returns to CU, it means you hate a college kids dream.

Spencer - get good info, get healthy, go to the NBA, get paid and represent the Buffs well in the NBA.

Why does everybody want him to come back again? Is it because you can't see through your own selfishness to realize that a 20 year old kid had his his life dream within reach and then taken away? That he's doing everything to try to make that dream a reality. That CU is a back-up plan. If you have "hope" in this scenario that he returns to CU, it means you hate a college kids dream.

Spencer - get good info, get healthy, go to the NBA, get paid and represent the Buffs well in the NBA.

While I think you are right to some degree, that some people want spencer to return because of selfish reasons, I also think there are some on this board that think if he can't get that first round grade it would be in his best interests to come back and hope he does because it may secure him a more stable future. Its not so black and white as you have made it.

Most agree, at least I hope they do, that if he can get that first round grade he should leave no doubt. Second round makes the situation a lot more fluid.

Those are not mutually exclusive things. CU Buff fans can hope that Spencer comes back fully healed and takes us to our first ever Sweet 16. The injury happened and noone here wanted him to get hurt.

But if his injury caused his draft stock to fall and there is a legitimate chance he will come back to CU to prove himself and as I said hopefully get a lottery pick than why is that a bad thing? We can't make his knee get better over night.

Most agree, at least I hope they do, that if he can get that first round grade he should leave no doubt. Second round makes the situation a lot more fluid.
Hell ya. 1st round he should and will go. That is officially on record and not surprising and I think we all support him for that. But if he falls to the 2nd round he himself doesn't like that option for obvious reasons. A damn good option in that case is coming back 1 more year, helping lead his team deep into the Tourney and get himself into a lottery position or close to it.

Those are not mutually exclusive things. CU Buff fans can hope that Spencer comes back fully healed and takes us to our first ever Sweet 16. The injury happened and noone here wanted him to get hurt.

But if his injury caused his draft stock to fall and there is a legitimate chance he will come back to CU to prove himself and as I said hopefully get a lottery pick than why is that a bad thing? We can't make his knee get better over night.

Why? This is clearly not what he wants

And CU went to the Sweet 16 in 1954, 1955, 1962 and 1963

Last edited:
He wants to fulfill his dreams and go to the NBA this year. BUT, he is now on record stating that if he falls to the 2nd round he doesn't want to go to the NBA. As Shoulder said, if he can get good info that he is on someone's 1st round draft board, he should and will go. We will all be rooting for him and whatever team he plays for.

And CU went to the Sweet 16 in 1954, 1955, 1962 and 1963

If it was up to Spencer he would have left last year for the NBA. He didn't get the info that he would be taken when he wanted to be so he stayed. He is going to realize his dream of playing in the NBA, that I have no doubt. However I think there are some CU fans who honestly think it would be in his best interest to stay. Its not always selfish.

Spencer has given CU his all for 3 years. He even ended up sacrificing his knee trying to propel us to heights we haven't ever seen around here. He will end up with a cult following around these parts wherever he goes. You are wrong in assuming that everyone who wants him to stay are being selfish and just want CU to be better. Some, like myself, think that if he gets a 2nd round rating it would be in his better interests to return. That is my own personal opinion and it has to do with his future stability not with anything to do with the CU Basketball program.

If it was up to Spencer he would have left last year for the NBA. He didn't get the info that he would be taken when he wanted to be so he stayed. He is going to realize his dream of playing in the NBA, that I have no doubt. However I think there are some CU fans who honestly think it would be in his best interest to stay. Its not always selfish.

Spencer has given CU his all for 3 years. He even ended up sacrificing his knee trying to propel us to heights we haven't ever seen around here. He will end up with a cult following around these parts wherever he goes. You are wrong in assuming that everyone who wants him to stay are being selfish and just want CU to be better. Some, like myself, think that if he gets a 2nd round rating it would be in his better interests to return. That is my own personal opinion and it has to do with his future stability not with anything to do with the CU Basketball program.

That's not the argument though - even he has said if he isn't going in the 1st rd he'll come back. The point is that we should want him to go in the first round and not come back.

Back