What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Some props for Embree and Co so far in recruiting

Del

With Nembot getting in, we only had 1 guy out of 24 I think that did not make it into school that we signed. For 2012, we've got a blue chip quarterback, the Texas pipeline is opening back up and we are getting some guys with real speed. The Colorado kids will come around next year, right now they are still just enamored with the idea of going out of state for school. This will change soon enough. I think all things considered we have a lot to feel good about here.

I agree.I think this staff was built to recruit and we're just scratching the surface on the types of recruits we'll be landing in the near future. JE went with recruiting prowess over experience in many cases, counting on these coaches to be able to pull in better athletes. I am very optimistic that we'll have a great class this year, and with a few upsets this season, we could land a Top 20/25 class. Lots to be excited about with Buff recruiting and nice to be mentioned again by top recruits. Now let's land a couple difference makers and get us back to where the Buffs belong. Go Buffs!

I would feel a lot more comfortable if we had some OL and CB commits, but I'm not complaining and do agree that we are headed in the right direction.

Okay, so I looked back through the recruiting archives and read all of the updates - who didn't make it in?

One of the things I thought was interesting........ was reading on ESPN Rise/Nike's website and one of the colorado athlete's commented on why more schools aren't seeing the talent in colorado. Any thoughts?

One of the things I thought was interesting........ was reading on ESPN Rise/Nike's website and one of the colorado athlete's commented on why more schools aren't seeing the talent in colorado. Any thoughts?

After a few trips to Colorado you will quickly find out. Because of the gorgeous landscape and weather there are so many more activities to do outside (any time of the year) than most places on Earth. Boulder is consistently one of the fittest towns in America and people love being outside. It's also the mindset of the people there. People move to Colorado for these reasons and therefore their children are most often brought up this way as well. Just my two cents ...

It would be interesting to know who that athlete was. I think it may be common for any athlete who is not getting the attention he would like or thinks he deserves to think he is being overlooked. Other than the top 150 guys, I think you would find this to be pretty normal.

Colorado kids get noticed if they deserve notice pretty consistently. There are Colorado football players who have signed with Texas, SC, Oregon, the Arizona schools (a number of players,) Stanford, aTm, Florida, Vandy, Syracuse, Michigan, and the list goes on. To be a top athlete you have to have a certain amount of belief in yourself and to not get recruited by schools you think should be recruiting you goes against that belief. CSU has a number of guys every year who are highly resentful that CU didn't recruit them, they think they are AQ level athletes and the CU staff didn't. UNC (Northern Colorado) has a bunch of guys who think they were good enough to play in the Mountain West and resent CSU for overlooking them, some goes on.

That said, kids in Colorado are going to have to do or be something special to get the same attention they would in some other states. States like Texas, California, Florida Ohio, etc. have literally hundreds of players who are going to be playing college football on some level. The concentration of talent makes it more time and cost effiecient for schools to start their out of state recruiting efforts there. Colorado in a given year is going to have 15-20 kids who are worthy of notice as BCS level prospects. The return on time and money isn't the same for out of state schools. This also means that the level of competition that kids face, especially in some of the less powerful conferences is questionable compared to the kids in the power states. Taking a kid from Colorado can be riskier because you don't know how he will handle top flight competition. Just as an example you would be more easily able to relate to. How many top flight CB prospects are there in Colorado. If I am looking at a WR prospect out of the Dallas or Houston area he may have game tape for 4-6 games against a CB who is likely to be playing D1 football. Camps can give a lot of information but what matters is still does a guy step up when the pads and helmet are on and crowd is watching.

Even with all that if a Colorado kid is worth a look he will usually get noticed. Two years ago the most talked about recruit in the state was probably Austin Hindler who signed with Cal. He played in a lower division and went to a school in a small town hundreds of miles from Denver and still got noticed.

I'm going to wait and see how the OL/DL commitments turn out before I give the staff lots of praise. To say the OL recruiting has been lackluster would an understatement.

Sorry guys - forgot to post the link.

http://rise.espn.go.com/community/forums/Ask-RISE-Forums/Ask-Football.aspx?pursuit=Football

His topic is Colorado respect. The question came up only because of reading some of the other threads about not picking up alot of in-state kids. Wondered if some in-state kids really are "caught up" in the hype and believe to get respect they need to have validation from out of state programs. In someways its the reverse here in Texas. To be a "top prosect" you have to be offered by a Texas school, in many of the kids' eyes early on. Makes me laugh at times......but i'm sure if we were still in CA the same "feeling" would've shown up there too.......

Colorado kids simply go out of state. I'm not just talking football players. Talk to any High School senior group and they all think they are going to school in Boston or North Carolina, maybe Florida or California (never Texas though). It's cultural.

Secondly - most of these kids were raised as fans of where their parents went to school, which is most often not CU. In my neighborhood of roughly 30 homes, there is one CU grad (not me). I grew up hating ASU and USC (in Phoenix). There are several families from MN and WI. There are 3 huge NU Husker families that wear their Red all the time. A bunch more from other midwest rust-belt states such as Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, Kansas, etc. You will see kids wearing CU gear, but you are more likely to see OSU, Michigan, KU, etc., at least up here in Boulder County.

It's the way Colorado is. We are all from elsewhere and CU has not been nationally relevant since 2001. When they are, black and gold will become popular once again. Still, a lot of kids will leave the state for school, football players or not.

We're in on better offensive linemen vs. the Hawkins era, yet we have no results to show guys. A few will buy in like Asiata, most will not yet until they see the prove. We aren't winning the recruiting battles but we're going for better players. It will come. People don't even know what they are signing up for yet. If we get some film that we can show recruits, like on the 2001 CU team, grounding & pounding folks, guys are going to be breaking their neck rushing over to play for these coaches and this rushing/pro-style offense. It takes time. Guys like to whine and have very little patience. It's not going to happen overnight.

I think Jordon Vaden is a pretty good player and is deserving of some BCS offers, but, unfortunately, I don't see him getting an offer from CU at this point. I think he was a back-up plan for us if we didn't get some of our first line guys, but we did get them and now he's on the outside looking in.

Back