What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Some thoughts on the UT game

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
It really sucks to see Cody struggling so badly. Something needs to be done. I am still not convinced that we should bench him though. If you cannot block, then its going to be a long day for whoever is behind the center. This isn't a quick fix. I understand that the first person to be called out is the QB. But this isn't all on Cody. Ballenger looked decent, but it was in garbage time vs. mostly reserves. Maybe we should think about a rotation at QB. I know it's not a situation that any coach likes to be in, but we have to light a fire under Cody's ass somehow. I really think he'll break out of it. He showed us he had the ability to make plays last season.

The OL is as bad as i've seen in a long time. Injuries are a problem, and nobody is really stepping up. Does anyone know how many plays Devin Head was in for? I didn't really notice him all that much. Mostly Shawn Daniels at guard with Behrens on the other side. I think everyone got torched with the exception of Girthy.

The calls for Helfrich and Hawkins to scrap the offense are comical. We lined up in the I and still got stuffed. If anyone here thinks we could've run the ball up the gut vs. the #3 run defense in the nation should be slapped. The OLine was dominated in just about every aspect yesterday. There's no way we could've run on UT without any kind of a passing game. The only way to beat UT's D is through the air. You establish a passing threat and you open things up for the run game. Pretty simple to me.

I think LouisvilleBuff on rivals summed it up pretty well. You can't have any kind of hope on offense, without your OLine blocking somewhat well-
The result of this is 1) very little running room for the RB's 2) no time passing for the QB 3) the QB constantly getting hit 3) little O production 4) the D on the field too long and 5) lopsided losses.

I'll admit that I don't like the offense we're running, but I totally agree that it doesn't matter what we're running if the O-line is struggling, which it obviously is. :huh:

The one piece of analysis missing is that when the O-line struggles, then the need for a QB who can move out of the pocket increases. Cody does not have a tendency to move around with play action passes. If our reserve O-line can not hold a pocket, then the best counter is to put in the QB with the best ability to run & scramble out of the pocket.

As usual valdez, I respect your opinion and mostly agree with you. The single issue I have which cannot be blamed on the OL is the QB & backs seeming to be out of sync. Both fumbled QB/RB exchanges seemed to be due to lack of sync/timing. I've seen too many times when Cody turns and the RB isn't where he expects him to be. I don't know who's right and who's wrong but I don't expect to be seeing so much of that 5 games into the season, even with young players.

Back