1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something that kind of pissed me off on Saturday.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Nov 7, 2011.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

All around the little grassy areas by the dorms, somebody had put a bunch of signs that said "Thanks for not tailgating on the residence halls lawn, we want to keep it in good shape" or something to that effect. My first thought was :wtf: Seriously, we're there for five days a year, in the fall, as the grass is going into hibernation for the year. It's not like we're there, every day, all day, for weeks at a time, ripping up the grass. Who the feck decided to put up these signs, anyway? Do they honestly think we're the ones doing damage to the lawn? Really?

Of course, we ignored the signs. As we should have. They were stupid. Still, it seems like this year in particular tailgaters have been under assault from CU. First, the no alcohol debacle at the Cal game, then the drama at the CSU game, then the parking issues at the UO and USC games, then this.

2. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

"Give grass a chance":lol:

3. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Wait. No alcohol at the Cal game? I missed that story. What happened?

4. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

CU used to be known as a great tailgating school. Sure seems the school is looking to end that as well as our great football program.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Pretty sure it was DBT

[​IMG]

CarolinaBuff likes this.
  6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

the spring game was a pretty big fiasco as well.

7. sackman

No, they allowed alcohol in the tailgating spots. But apparently, there was some kind of memo that went out to the CU PD saying they weren't going to allow alcohol. So we get a couple CU PD coming by and telling us we're going to have to shut down - probably. Dio pulls out his smartphone and shows them the University policy regarding tailgating, to which they respond - did you get the e-mail? We're like "what the hell are you talking about? This is a freaking TAILGATE PARTY." Eventually, the parking lady (who is awesome, BTW) got on her walkie talkie and got the CU PD Captain over to tell the two cops that were hassling us to cool it. Clearly a matter of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. At the end of the day, it was no big deal, but for a minute or two, we were thinking that we may have an all out riot on our hands.

8. sackman

Phil DiStephano was quoted as saying he's committed to having a very competitive tailgating experience at CU.

Buffnik likes this.
  9. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

All the grass parking lots (Sewall, Franklin, etc.) were closed for tailgating because of the moisture from the last week, so they probably just included the Farrand Field area in that. We tailgate by the B-School & everyone pretty much set up on the parking lot because the grass was soaked.

10. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Sacky, if I were you, I´d send the AD a picture of those signs and your parking pass bill ....

11. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat

This. I assumed they were just trying to keep everyone off all of the grassy areas on campus on Friday due to the snow melt. I think it was just a circumstantial thing.

12. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I swear there isnt anything we dont **** up on game days. Good thing CU cant control the weather.

13. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I paid as much attention to those signs as I did Mick Ronson's "Please Don't Piss On My Lawn" signs.

14. sackman

At first, I kind of thought that was the issue as well. Although for me, I felt like if I'm not parking the van on the grass, it's OK. Honestly, we didn't do any damage to the grass by walking on it a little bit. We were there for four hours. Big deal.

15. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I'm sure the students who run, walk, ****, piss and puke all over the grass every day of the year do much more damage.

16. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

The signs were likely targeted at those who park their vehicles on the grass. Foot traffic and lawn chairs won't hurt it; vehicles will tear the **** out of it, particularly when it's mostly-dormant and very wet.

17. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I think that was probably the issue. In my short walk from the bus stop to the tailgate I saw two campus guys very quickly order cars to make sure they weren't even on the sidewalk, let alone the grass. They weren't hassling them to move out of the area, just off the sidewalk and grass.

18. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Point of clarification.... it was Boulder Sheriff, not CU PD who came by telling us about no alcohol.

Also, I agree that CU does a poor job of playing up the tailgating. Between the harassment, the length of time to get into the stadium, the lack of porto-potty's (we need one more by Farrand).... it is just stupid. If the squelch tailgating, then watch attendance disappear

19. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Signs were still there on Saturday? Fine. But why did you go back up there?

20. The Guest

The Guest Guest

So Sacky took off his hat and said "Imagine that, me walking on your lawn..."

21. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

YMMMSR. Imagine that...

22. Heywood

Heywood The actual El Guapo Club Member

Since I didnt see the roll call thread come back up I will post it here. Thank you to sacky for the gate, it was my first one. It was really nice to meet some of you. I was suprised to find that I was the closest to 35 out of all of you.

Hope to see you again

23. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

You should have pissed on the sign, anybody ask and you were just taking care of the precious grass, watering and fertilizing for next year. :lol:

24. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

Les Miles will kill you if you don't respect the grass.

25. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Bet I'm closer than you are...:thumbsup:if you think I'm that much older, I'm ****ed....:cry:

26. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

OK, spill. Who wasn't nice to meet?????? :lol:

27. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

rhetorical question?

28. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

This doesn't contribute to the greenness of the grass?

29. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Your next!

30. JWP303

JWP303 Active Member

My friend and I were talking about this - at a football school in the south the students would just have to deal with tire tracks on the lawn.

Seriously though - if I'm paying $1000 or whatever it is for a parking pass for 5 games, and you reduce that number by one, I want a 20% refund.