What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Somewhere, under the radar....

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
Listening to Joe and Jim Armstrong today, they had some national college football expert on. I think he was an ESPN.com guy or something. The asked him how he thought CU was going to do this year and he said, essentially, that "With their schedule and lack of talent, they will be lucky to win 4 games."

Now, I find myself believing that Hawkins will surprise people this year and also believe they were very close to being a fairly decent team last year. So, who is full of ****? Me or the "expert." (I know. Both of us!) So, are the dire predictions going to come true or is Hawk going to shock the world?

I agree with the fact that we were not as bad as the 2-10 record. I hope more "experts" keep chiming in with that doom and gloom outlook. It will only inspire the team more.

I don't think we are going to shock the world but I do believe that 6 wins is very feasible.

national experts are not in a position to know much about individual teams that aren't top 10. they generally have something close to conventional knowledge and cannibalize and regurgitate info they've gleaned from some other source. this is one thing i have learned about the internet: there is a huge skew when you go from local knowledge to the national "scene", from specific to general. there's nothing you can learn about a team from ESPN you can't learn by reading that teams boards or local newpapers--filtering through the homerism of course.

There are sure a lot of "toss-up" games on the schedule. I think there are only 3 games on the schedule that the Buffs have NO CHANCE to win right now. Florida State, Arizona State and Oklahoma. Bayond that, I think every other game is certainly winnable. Doesn't mean that they will win them, though.

national experts are not in a position to know much about individual teams that aren't top 10. they generally have something close to conventional knowledge and cannibalize and regurgitate info they've gleaned from some other source. QUOTE]

Thats a great point. My perception of this guy was that he really didn't know much about CU personnel and had no knowledge of any improvements the team has made in things like strength and conditioning. Like you say, he just regurgitates what he's heard. But then, that is one of the fun things about college football. The unknown. You don't get that with the NFL.

As bad as our record was last season and as bad as a team as we were, there were at least 3 games that we should have and could have won. Look at the Georgia game, the Baylor game and Kansas and or Montana State, those were all winable games. From all reports the team this year has taken huge strides and anyone that simply looks at their record last year and translates that into a bad team this year obviously isn't worth their salt as a reporter.

I also don't think we will be world beaters and run the table but i don't think a .500 record and a low level bowl game is out of the question.

Let the "experts" bash the Buffs all they want, I feel some surprises will be on the way out of Boulder!

As bad as the Buffs were last year, going into the 4th quarter they were still in every game (except for Mizzo). Soemone posted the 4th quarter collapses earlier this week, but just look at each individual game and you can see the Buffs were still in it. Even playing at eventual Big 12 Champ OU, the Buffs were only down 10 going into the final quarter. You could not have said that about CU teams of the previous 3 seasons. I realize this year's schedule is more difficult, but I cannot believe they could be worse than last year. With some more time in the system under the belt and Pittman's hard ass approach, I think the Buffs will be able to finish as opposed to last year.

Scores at the end of 3 Quarters
Mt. State (Down 13-10)
CSU (down 14-10)
ASU (down 14-3)
GA (ahead 13-0)
MU (down 28-13)
BU (tied 17-17)
OU (down 10-0)
KU (ahead 9-7)
KSU (down 17-7)
NU (down 21-14)-That mystery offensive pass inter. still really pisses me off :bang:

I believe it was Bruce Feldman. The fact he works for ESPN makes him suspect from the get-go as they have evolved into the Natl. Enquirer of the sports world.:puke: Amusingly, Beano Cook and his rapidly cascading series of chins will be back this season, so at least one can watch that sideshow for laughs. Maybe he'll predict Jimmy Clausen to win four Heismans. :rofl: But I digress.

If Bruce baby has trouble finding four W's for the Buffs he's not looking very hard. CSU, Miami (OH), Baylor and ISU would fit the bill nicely. Sounds to me like Bruce couldn't find his backside with both hands and a flashlight.:haha:

I believe it was Bruce Feldman. The fact he works for ESPN makes him suspect from the get-go as they have evolved into the Natl. Enquirer of the sports world.:puke: Amusingly, Beano Cook and his rapidly cascading series of chins will be back this season, so at least one can watch that sideshow for laughs. Maybe he'll predict Jimmy Clausen to win four Heismans. :rofl: But I digress.

If Bruce baby has trouble finding four W's for the Buffs he's not looking very hard. CSU, Miami (OH), Baylor and ISU would fit the bill nicely. Sounds to me like Bruce couldn't find his backside with both hands and a flashlight.:haha:

I have heard that Jimmy Clausen's father is like Jeremy Weisinger's father all over again.

There are sure a lot of "toss-up" games on the schedule. I think there are only 3 games on the schedule that the Buffs have NO CHANCE to win right now. Florida State, Arizona State and Oklahoma. Bayond that, I think every other game is certainly winnable. Doesn't mean that they will win them, though.

bull****, EVERYGAME is winnable.

I bet you said CU had NO CHANCE against Georgia and probably Boise ST had NO CHANCE against Oklahoma.

Last edited:
As bad as the Buffs were last year, going into the 4th quarter they were still in every game (except for Mizzo). Soemone posted the 4th quarter collapses earlier this week, but just look at each individual game and you can see the Buffs were still in it. Even playing at eventual Big 12 Champ OU, the Buffs were only down 10 going into the final quarter. You could not have said that about CU teams of the previous 3 seasons. I realize this year's schedule is more difficult, but I cannot believe they could be worse than last year. With some more time in the system under the belt and Pittman's hard ass approach, I think the Buffs will be able to finish as opposed to last year.

Scores at the end of 3 Quarters
Mt. State (Down 13-10)
CSU (down 14-10)
ASU (down 14-3)
GA (ahead 13-0)
MU (down 28-13)
BU (tied 17-17)
OU (down 10-0)
KU (ahead 9-7)
KSU (down 17-7)
NU (down 21-14)-That mystery offensive pass inter. still really pisses me off :bang:

Rep! For a team with a 2-10 record they weren't blown out many times. Hopefully the defense will continue to be as good as they were last year, figuring out how to replace guys like Thad and Abe Wright. The o-line should be more solid. I could see 7 or 8 wins as a real possibility if the offense gets going. Basically it all comes down to Cody (no pressure, kid.....)

Taking my black and gold colored glasses off for a minute...

I can completely understand why a national "expert" would say that the Buffs will have no better than a 4 win season. What are they going on? CU went 2-10 last year and lost to a D-1AA school. Our last two recruiting classes have been respectable but not stellar from a recruiting wonk perspective. On top of that the schedule is tough this year.

So, we can whine about the Buffs not getting respect and say that the experts are assholes and idiots but the fact is that Hawkins and company need to step up and prove they deserve respect.

Buff colored glasses back on... I believe in this coach and the players that he has brought into the system. I am very encouraged and pumped by the practice reports coming in and I think they will have a good year and get to a bowl game. IMHO how good of a year really depends on the CSU game.

To say that CU will "be lucky to win 4 games" certainly didn't look beneath the covers of our 2-10 season. Everyone reading this knows how badly CU faded in the 4th quarter and left at least 4 potential wins on the field. I for one will be very disappointed if we only win 4 or 5 games. While I don't see us shocking the college football world as in 2001, I certainly think we will win 7 or possibly even 8 games.

I didn't think CU had a great chance against Georgia, and they did lose, after all.

I gotta call bull**** on this one. Do you honestly mean to tell me that when CU was up 13-0 in the 4th quarter you didn't think they had a great chance to win? :wow:

Of course they had a great chance to win. They didn't. That sucks. But the point of Unleash's post was that they were in it until the very end. OK, so they couldn't close the deal - agreed. The hope is that we'll be able to close a few more of those deals this year. That's all.

I gotta call bull**** on this one. Do you honestly mean to tell me that when CU was up 13-0 in the 4th quarter you didn't think they had a great chance to win? :wow:

Of course they had a great chance to win. They didn't. That sucks. But the point of Unleash's post was that they were in it until the very end. OK, so they couldn't close the deal - agreed. The hope is that we'll be able to close a few more of those deals this year. That's all.

This year's theme:

ggross1.jpg

My comment was not clear. Before the game, I did not think the Buffs had a great chance to win.

Just as today, I do not think the Buffs have any shot of beating Florida State, ASU, or Oklahoma in the upcoming season --- a year ago, before the season began, I did not think the Buffs had any shot of beating Georgia.

My apologies for the confusion.

My comment was not clear. Before the game, I did not think the Buffs had a great chance to win.

Just as today, I do not think the Buffs have any shot of beating Florida State, ASU, or Oklahoma in the upcoming season --- a year ago, before the season began, I did not think the Buffs had any shot of beating Georgia.

My apologies for the confusion.

As soon as I start saying the Buffs have no shot against an opponent before 1 game has been played is the day I stop being a Buff fan.

As soon as I start saying the Buffs have no shot against an opponent before 1 game has been played is the day I stop being a Buff fan.
:yeahthat:

Plus, ASU Col? They're not that great and I'm sure that CU will have last years game in their minds. I think ASU is very winnable, tough game yes, but very winnable. Also Florida State is gonna be in for a dog fight in Boulder. Oklahoma is gonna be our toughest.

These experts are interested first in keeping their jobs, not being right.

If they pick a team that was 2-10 last year to win a bunch of games, and they are wrong, people will point out how stupid they were.

But if they say we'll suck and we surprise, then they can say "well, who could have expected a 2-10 team to win so many games?!", and everybody will excuse their being wrong and they'll keep their job.

Plus, ASU Col? They're not that great and I'm sure that CU will have last years game in their minds. I think ASU is very winnable, tough game yes, but very winnable. Also Florida State is gonna be in for a dog fight in Boulder. Oklahoma is gonna be our toughest.

i would also think that ASU will experience some growing pains with a new coach and all.

Sorry- it's been almost 20 years since I thought the Buffs would win every game they played.

I'm not stupid. I know the Buffs will lose some games.

You said "NO CHANCE". That is where I disagree. There is always a chance. I'd prefer to let them play some games before I declare games as un-winnable.

I sure hope they players don't share your ****ty attitude.

Ranking our hardest to easiest games:

1) OU - Damn good
2) ASU - Away game in dreadful heat; I think this will be a tougher win than FSU.
3a and b) FSU and NU - Both are at home, and the both have good teams
5a, b and c) Missou, KSU, CSU (all equal) - Missou is good but we got them at home; Kitties are away and are building off a decent year under Princess; Lambies always play their best against us.
8) TTU - Good team, but we seem to have their number lately
9) ISU - first year coach, but at Ames
10) Baylor - Away but we owe them for last year
11) KU - last year we had them on the ropes and let them up; this year we got them at home
12) Lowly mid-major.

We should go

Ranking our hardest to easiest games:

2) ASU - Away game in dreadful heat; I think this will be a tougher win than FSU.

We should go

It is a late night game and it is not that hot in the desert at night. Temperature should have nothing to do with the ASU game.

These experts are interested first in keeping their jobs, not being right.

If they pick a team that was 2-10 last year to win a bunch of games, and they are wrong, people will point out how stupid they were.

But if they say we'll suck and we surprise, then they can say "well, who could have expected a 2-10 team to win so many games?!", and everybody will excuse their being wrong and they'll keep their job.

Unless of course it's Phil Steele we're talking about. He was probably the only national prognosticator who saw CU rising nearly to the top in 2001, and he also accurately picked defending Pac-10 champ WSU to finish 10th in the Pac-10 in 1998, which they did.

Unless of course it's Phil Steele we're talking about. QUOTE]

Thats the guy I was trying to think of. I've heard him on the radio a few times. He knows his stuff. I don't think there's a D-1 team out there that he could not speak intellegently about.

Back