What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Soooo Bronco Mendenhall has interviewed for the CU job....

The Cougars finished their first season as a football independent in 2011 with a 10-3 record and No. 25 final ranking to finish nationally ranked for the fifth time in the last six seasons.[2]

What's his recruiting been like?

I think evaluating his recruiting at BYU won't make for a very effective comparison in this case. They type of kids you are going after for BYU is a pretty specialized pool and very different for what he would need to pursue for CU.

Article linked in post 13 of this thread seems to suggest that maybe he's burned out at BYU and it's time for a change of scenery to get the fire back. I just hope that if he is an "odd duck" as one of his current players described, that will be apparent in the interview.
Cool. A "burn out." :thumbsup:

I think evaluating his recruiting at BYU won't make for a very effective comparison in this case. They type of kids you are going after for BYU is a pretty specialized pool and very different for what he would need to pursue for CU.

Id imagine its tough to recruit non Mormons to BYU. It'd certainly be easy for competing coaches to get into a players head about Mormons and the rules at BYU to cause just enough doubt to keep them from committing (think 3* 4* 5*). There have been incidents with non mormon basketball players there as well. This could be his chance to see what it's like without those kinds of hand cuffs....

So I know this question has to be asked, but how would a Mormon coach fit in at CU/Boulder

Almost guaranteed he keeps his mouth shut about his religion more than Mac did. I am sure he will be fine. He may not like it here though. That remains to be seen.

Somewhat agree. But more than anything I think they hate people that flaunt religion as a greater than thou personality.

I agree. People in Boulder typically aren't religious, but they aren't going to jump on somebody for their personal beliefs if it isn't being shoved in their faces.

Bronco has a tradition of pre-game devotionals instead of walk-throughs.

Not sure if this will appeal to the non-LDS recruit.

Bronco has a tradition of pre-game devotionals instead of walk-throughs.

Not sure if this will appeal to the non-LDS recruit.
Pretty damn sure he would not do this if he were the coach at CU. Didn't McCartney have to stop making the players say a prayer before a game? Same thing here.

The only concern I'd have with a BYU coach is that most of his players are older because they go on their missions. So instead of 18 year olds they're generally rocking 24 year olds. I'm pretty sure I don't care, though. Get this guy.

I'm 100% not against hiring Bronco. I like he is a defensive minded coach, he has Rockies/Western recruiting ties and he has proven to be a good coach for many years. Maybe the article is right, he just has run his course at BYU and it isn't a good fit for him anymore? Maybe a more liberal background is what he needs to let his guard down and just coach... not having to look over his shoulder trying to be someone he isn't.

much bigger fan of Bronco than butch jones. I'm scared to death of Jones, since he rode another coach's coattails for most of his career. Neither are close to the top of my list, but I'd be okay with Bronco.

Back