What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Soooo Bronco Mendenhall has interviewed for the CU job....

Sadly your not going to change our opinions on Bronco just because you hate the guy. He might not be our #1 pick but he is much better than options many of us are scared of. At least he makes sense as a head coaching option for Colorado.

Well at this moment he might be the best we could possibly land that makes sense for Colorado. Sometimes just because a coach is a big name elsewhere doesn't mean he would be a good fit at Colorado.

That is why people bringing up a name like Charlie Strong makes no sense compared to someone like Bronco. Strong is a SE guy that has no ties to the region and would have to change staffs to fit those needs... he might not be quite the coach you would find him to be. This is why Jones scares some people as well. I would be happy to have Butch but he is going to make some changes recruiting wise if he came here. At least with Bronco his staff knows the high schools in this part of the country. I'm sure not everyone would leave BYU, so he could add some coaches that fit even better for Colorado recruiting wise.

BYU has a tradition of pre-game devotionals instead of walk-throughs.

Not sure if this will appeal to the non-LDS recruit.
FIFY. It really seems like you're conflating possible "issues" at the school with belonging exclusively to the coach - which definitely does make it seem you have a personal grudge against the guy.

It's hard to separate the school from the coach in many cases - and you can always say "well if he didn't agree with that stuff, he wouldn't have coached there." Which, I think is an unfair statement. If that's the place you get your chance, you take that chance, because if you are successful and prove yourself, you can move on to another (better) job.

Saaaaa-wing and a miss! So much for the current HC in a BCS AQ conference - way to **** this up, Bohnhead.

The game was over, and instead of taking a knee, his starting QB got one in the knee.

You're letting the outcome of the play inflate the egregiousness of the call itself. A QB was confused by the signal he was given, BFD - but since he got hurt during the play (freak accident), it's a sign to you that the guy can't coach.

Les Miles does worse 3 times a game.

Saaaaa-wing and a miss! So much for the current HC in a BCS AQ conference - way to **** this up, Bohnhead.

Who, already under contract, in a BCS Conf., could we have hired? Typically, the BCS schools hire HCs from the mids or they hire coordinators. He never said anything about a 'current coach' being a current BCS coach did he?

I know Bohn said they were looking at current coaches, but I don't recall him ever limiting the field to BCS coaches. If that was the case he would have never looked at Gary Anderson at Utah State, Tim Deruyter at Fresno State, MacIntyre at San Jose State, etc.

FIFY. It really seems like you're conflating possible "issues" at the school with belonging exclusively to the coach - which definitely does make it seem you have a personal grudge against the guy.

It's hard to separate the school from the coach in many cases - and you can always say "well if he didn't agree with that stuff, he wouldn't have coached there." Which, I think is an unfair statement. If that's the place you get your chance, you take that chance, because if you are successful and prove yourself, you can move on to another (better) job.

I believe this is Bronco's call and not the schools. BYU fans that I know feel that Bronco's job is to coach football and not lead devotionals. Personally, I have no problem with it.
I will say that Bronco has recruited a ton of talent to BYU recently, and if he does leave, the next coach is going to have a lot of success.

I know Bohn said they were looking at current coaches, but I don't recall him ever limiting the field to BCS coaches. If that was the case he would have never looked at Gary Anderson at Utah State, Tim Deruyter at Fresno State, MacIntyre at San Jose State, etc.
I believe what he or someone else said was that the frontrunner​ was a BCS coach.

Who, already under contract, in a BCS Conf., could we have hired? Typically, the BCS schools hire HCs from the mids or they hire coordinators. He never said anything about a 'current coach' being a current BCS coach did he?

I think that the reports said that he did.

I'm not going to spend the time looking, but that's what I remember.

So, he really said there was 'front runner' front runner less than 24 hours after firing JE?

I didn't hear that.

what I do remember hearing was that he had someone in mind who was a current head coach.

I could be wrong.

I will say that Bronco has recruited a ton of talent to BYU recently, and if he does leave, the next coach is going to have a lot of success.
I think this may be one of the fastest "everything I say about a particular possible coach is completely negative" to "well, here are some good things about the guy" changes that I have ever seen. Maybe some poster's opinions are not actually set in stone :thumbsup:

No, but unless we hire Saban or Miles hot rack is gonna bitch at Bohn.
Yep, got that right. But the aperture is more than Miles or Saban, I'm holding Bohnhead at his word - "A current HC at a school in a BCS AQ conference.". He goes to Mendenhall and he has failed miserably, BYU does NOT meet his publicly stated criteria. - oh, and as you like to say, **** you! :thumbsup:

As a Ute, I can't stand Roscoe (Bronco) Mendenhall.

He is a very "churchy" guy at BYU.

I bet he would lose most of that religious "schtick" if he was hired by CU though.

I actually think he's a good football coach and he could turn around the program at CU. For big success he would have to have the budget to bring in a good OC (cause that is not his thing, he's a defensive guy).

He would be a good guy to stoke a rivalry, because many Utes can't stand the guy.

Back