1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Special Teams Coordinators

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Figured I may as well start a thread on Special Teams Coordinators and get the ball rolling on some candidates that HCMM should look at after this season to fill the position at CU.

To kick it off, I'll start with James Shibest.

Memphis Tigers » James Shibest
    [h=1]James Shibest[/h] Current Special Teams Coordinator of the Memphis Tigers

Born: October 31, 1964
    Houston, Texas
    Head Coaching Record: TBD
    Major Influences: TBD

Current Memphis Tigers Special Teams Coordinator & TE Coach (2 Years). In 2008, was voted the ST Coordinator of the Year by the coaches on Footballscoop.com.

James Shibest Career Summary

Special Teams CoordinatorMemphis Tigers2012 - 2013
    Special Teams CoordinatorMississippi Rebels2008 - 2011
    Wide Receivers CoachArkansas Razorbacks2002 - 2007
    Tight Ends CoachArkansas Razorbacks2000 - 2001
    Head CoachButler Grizzly Bears1996 - 1999
    Offensive CoordinatorGarden City Broncbusters1994 - 1995
    Defensive Secondary CoachIndependence Pirates1993
    Offensive CoordinatorIndependence Pirates1992
    Running Backs CoachOklahoma State Cowboys1991
    Wide Receivers CoachOklahoma State Cowboys1990
    Graduate AssistantOklahoma State Cowboys1988 - 1989
    Wide ReceiverArkansas Razorbacks1984 - 1985

Recruiting ties are to Texas/Arkansas/Oklahoma.
  2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Jamie Christian (Houston)
    Derek Dooley (Dallas Cowboys)
  3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I'd be all over Baxter if Lane gets canned. He's one of the best in the biz.
  4. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Yes! I was hoping for someone of this caliber to begin with. Don't tell me Mike MacIntyre isn't familiar with top-flight position coaches currently working in the state of Tennessee. This guy would add immediate recruiting chops and seems to know quite a bit about special teams. I am positive CU would not be a lateral move from the mighty Memphis Tigers, prestige and money wise. Should've been done last February. Our one-year favor to a guy whose strength is familiarity with the Front Range League should be completed and ready for an upgrade following Thanksgiving weekend.

Same with Jamie Christian. Experience in the Pac-12 and coaching ST/RB/TE could potentially also take workload off Klayton Adams' hands if you give him an offensive position plus he is young and a solid recruiter. Either one of these candidates could have been lured out of the American Athletic Conference with that coaching hire budget.
  5. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Lewis is a westerner who has already had UVA's ST show vast improvement in his first year on the job after predecessor was fired. He's also the running backs coach. Was at Nevada for a year before this under Chris Ault, spent 4 years at CSU under Fairchild before that (Rams were top 25 in punting and kick returns in 2011, 19th in kick returns in 2010). Head coach at Idaho State from 1999-2006. This is his 33rd year of college coaching. Familiarity with the Pac as well, spent 10 years as an assistant at Wazzu while they enjoyed some of their all-time best seasons.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    Skidmark likes this.
  6. SuperBuff

SuperBuff Club Member Club Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Frank Beamer!!! He doesn't have much longer with VT at this rate and he can devote all his time to special teams. But realistically I just hope it can get turned around soon, and if not maybe we can upgrade big time.
  7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Jul 21, 2005
    I was advocating Shibest when MikMac was looking for an ST coach...he would be the best hire.