1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Special Teams

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by ArizonaBuff, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ArizonaBuff

ArizonaBuff New Member

Does Coach MacIntyre understand the importance of special teams? And if so, why can't he get it fixed once and for all?

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  2. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

before I answer this question, I will need you to provide Sacky an IPA and me a sammich

3. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

You have an aversion to sammiches?

4. Fight CU

no - I like sammiches. just not alcohol. so sacky gets my beer and I get my sammich

5. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I hate IPAs. Swill.

Special teams are kind of important. It sucks that we had to lose a game like this to finally drive that home.

6. Fight CU

UBL?

7. J.R. Ewing

I wonder if it really did drive it home. I'm sure MM is devoting lots of time to STs this week, but will it stick. Call me skeptical.

Alfred91 and FlatironsBuff like this.
  8. Fight CU

can we just put some of our 1s out there on ST? we need to sell-out for this win

9. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

I am not sure this is a good thing or a bad thing, but although Mac does not take blame publicly, he takes ownership on his mistakes between closed doors. I think he thinks that he may have cost us the game with certain things with the special teams, and he's an emotional dude. Let's just say he was very emotional at halftime and after the game. He knows his mistakes, but what worries me is that these mistakes have not been fixed.

10. Buffs35

Buffs35 Well-Known Member

Putting our No. 1s out there wouldn't have made the punter get the kick off faster on the block, scoop and score. Dude took 3 or 4 little steps. That's on him, imo.

Alfred91 likes this.
  11. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

The punter is just slow at getting the ball off. I watched him while he played at Rocky in Fort Collins and his speed has not improved at all.

He has to figure a way to speed up his timing. Not sure why I can see that but for some reason the coaches can't.

FlatironsBuff and BUFFS14 like this.
  12. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Well, as most people around here know, I'm a big believer in special teams for lots of reasons I won't get in to here.
    With that in mind, MM had a task ahead of him when he came here that involved making dramatic improvements to all three phases. As Mac1 used to say, you achieve what you emphasize. They haven't had the luxury of emphasizing special teams because their offense and defense were such dumpster fires. It didn't matter what our special teams were like when we were getting beat by 40 points. Now, they play a much bigger role.
    MM has shown he can get an offense turned around. He's shown he can get a defense turned around (obviously give Leavitt, Chev and yes, Lindgren credit where it's due).

Special teams cost us a game against a very good, possibly great, team on the road. While that sucks, it is progress. Let's see what they do to turn this around. In not going to crucify the guy for one bad game given the circumstances. I do expect to see improvement. I don't want to lose another game to special teams ineptitude.

13. SerenityBuff

SerenityBuff Club Member Club Member

You think our special teams are bad?

Alfred91, WasianCU and J.R. Ewing like this.
  14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

All I know is that it needs to get fixed.

Here's my plan:

1. Clean it up as well as possible for this season.
    2. Make a bowl.
    3. Staff change for 2017: replace Bernardi with a TE Coach who is also known as an ace recruiter. (Someone like Ole Miss's Maurice Harris.) Give that high level assistant the ST Coordinator responsibility to run that aspect of things.

15. Sykobuff

Sykobuff Club Member Club Member

Simple, stop rolling brad pitt to the right and actually block someone.

Alfred91, FlatironsBuff and leftybuff like this.
  16. Sykobuff

Sykobuff Club Member Club Member

Good points, is it coincidence that our TE's aren't involved much in the offense? Just a waste of a coaching position and a better recruiter.

17. TDforTD

TDforTD Banned BANNED Club Member

Definitely an F for the day.

But on a positive note, how smooth and natural did Julmisse look on kick returns! He took one out he shouldn't have but nearly made something of it and was so close to taking one back to the house. As we've established, Harbaugh's special teams are full of playmakers and talent and are well coached. Pretty good sign that Julmisse is the natural football player we keep hearing about. Thinking he will become one of those "we better not kick it to him," guys.

FlatironsBuff and patebuff like this.
  18. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

I think Julmisse is going to be a special player. Think he really competes for a CB job next year and will probably be our full time kick returner at some point this season.

TDforTD likes this.
  19. J.R. Ewing

Funny how those players with tons of other offers tend to be pretty good.

20. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

image.jpeg

5 on 3 is not going to end well. They were fast too

23:01

21. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

And Kinney was slow - he's got the ball in his hands in the picture, and the blockers are still 10 yards away. He should have either almost gotten it off, or just barely gotten it off - instead it wasn't even close.

22. MiamiBuffs

Yeah, it seemed slow to me. I don't know if our guys released too soon as well to get up field. But the M surge was fast. You can see why they've had a few blocks this year. I don't get why we don't just put all our guys on the line and slow them down. Seems pretty tough for the three in the back.

23. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

It's really 4 on 3 right? Number 9 was chipped by Chido and stopped his rush as shown. Another reason to hate this punt formation is how do you even fake a punt here? Outside guys are far away for a punter to make a pass and they are always covered. Three guys inside are going to have to be there to block for the punter so they can't go out for a screen/pass. The only way to fake it is a run and that will rarely work with the rush the formation allows.

24. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

Anybody ever notice how no NFL teams use that spread punt formation. They all are tight in with two split wide and the upbacks on the the corners of the line. Why don't we just go back to that?

FlatironsBuff and SerenityBuff like this.
  25. onealcd

Yeah someone will probably say there is more athleticism in pro football so the formation works better but if you are that scared of a player in college football, just kick the ball out of bounds, this isn't a new concept.

26. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Kinney was way too slow. No sense of urgency

27. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I saw when they showed the camera angle from the end zone and asked why in the hell they weren't calling a time out...the spread punt formation has to be the stupidest idea anyone has had for a while.

28. onealcd

Did UCF run the same formation last week when they were blocked twice?

29. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

But he has great hair....

30. MiamiBuffs

Keep in mind that the NFL has the top 1% of all talent from college even with their scrubs.