What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special teams

What is the current special ed tally? Missed 9 of 10 FG. I think I saw that CU was last in the nation is FG kicking at an amazing 28% and I think only 5 other teams in the nation are below 50%. You know things are bad when you don't even think about a FG try from outside 25 yards.

I'm also really bothered by the lack of dicipline in the kicking game. Stupid mistakes, and very poor decisions all year long.

On that last kickoff, we had two or three guys totally out of position in their coverage. And I mean a good 5-10 yard out of their lanes. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. How freaking hard is it to STAY IN YOUR LANE?!?!? :bang:

I've been noticing that all year. Against FSU and CSU we had guys ABANDON their lane for no reason (other than stupidity I guess) which led to touchdowns.

My main concern with ST, as well as our entire team, is that we are very undisciplined. What really bothers me is that it seems the coaching staff doesn't seem all to concerned about it. I imagine the conversations on the sidelines look something like this: "Don't worry about it. We'll get it back. We have to keep fighting." I doubt the conversation is this: "What the h*** happened? You leaving your lane caused this to happen! If you can't stay in your lane you won't be playing. You better hope that we make this up! Shake it off and start playing smart football."

My note: This is one of my more pointless posts...

Also keep in mind Riddle is also the TE coach. If we fire him we have to find someone that can coach both.

Also keep in mind Riddle is also the TE coach. If we fire him we have to find someone that can coach both.

I'm willing to take the chance that we can find someone else to be a decent TE coach. The special teams are absolutely killing this team. With good special teams on Saturday, I'm not sure the game is all that close to be honest.

I'm willing to take the chance that we can find someone else to be a decent TE coach. The special teams are absolutely killing this team. With good special teams on Saturday, I'm not sure the game is all that close to be honest.

Yes I agree that the special ed teams is abysmal but I believe we're only limited a certain # of coaches so if Riddle is the only one gone we have to get someone to coach special teams and TE's. Or hawk or another coach completely takes over special teams and we find someone to concentrate on TE's

I blame Hawk. He is obviously not giving it enough attention.

I have to agree with you. There were rumblings out of Fall practice that they were unhappy with the special teams and that Hawkins was going to take a more "active" role.
Whether that turned into Cabral/Hagan taking over, I don't know. However, when it is this bad and seemingly getting worse, the HC needs to take responsibility if it was identified as a problem at the beginning of the season.

When Hawkins got here he claimed the special teams would be "electric". These are the kind of things that get me...in all 3 seasons the special teams have under performed...don't make the claims if you aren't going to back them up.

When Hawkins got here he claimed the special teams would be "electric". These are the kind of things that get me...in all 3 seasons the special teams have under performed...don't make the claims if you aren't going to back them up.

I remember the electric comment too. Maybe they electric special teams are going green and the solar panels aren't working...or the gerbil running on the treadmill powering the electric generator died....something is wrong.

They never do, I don't care what they say. Kickers practice on their own and special teams is about 10 minutes of practice. You typically don't go 100% live, because you don't want anyone hurt. So you play how you practice half-assed.

Hawk keeps saying that there dead on in practice and there not missing by much in the game.

Who gives a ***k what they make in practice,they aren't making them in the game when they count.

I remember the electric comment too. Maybe they electric special teams are going green and the solar panels aren't working...or the gerbil running on the treadmill powering the electric generator died....something is wrong.

I did think that special teams play was going to be strong under Hawkins...it seems like Boise usually does that quite well. It is a major disappointment.

It's the terrible FG kicking that makes it stand out so starkly..we must be near average in punting, and probably above average in kick returns(?).

The odd thing is it seems like a lot of smallish guys with strong legs exist (guys maybe that have played soccer..or football, but not big enough for D1 positional play). It seems it would not be that hard to find one or more in the greater Denver area who could make the 40 yarder with consistency.

Surely Hawk will not go into another season without a viable option to go to on FG's.

Surely Hawk will not go into another season without a viable option to go to on FG's.

I would guess Hawk will be bringing in a couple of WO"s and maybe even a scholly kicker this fall, he practically has to.

I did think that special teams play was going to be strong under Hawkins...it seems like Boise usually does that quite well. It is a major disappointment.

It's the terrible FG kicking that makes it stand out so starkly..we must be near average in punting, and probably above average in kick returns(?).

The odd thing is it seems like a lot of smallish guys with strong legs exist (guys maybe that have played soccer..or football, but not big enough for D1 positional play). It seems it would not be that hard to find one or more in the greater Denver area who could make the 40 yarder with consistency.

Ithink if you added up the # of feet that Goodman has missed his FG"s by (wonder if he would have made that one that did get blocked a while back?) you would have less than 10. Its ****ing ridiculous. I say put him back in and push through.

I would guess Hawk will be bringing in a couple of WO"s and maybe even a scholly kicker this fall, he practically has to.

The kickers have been dreadful this season but there is no way we have 3 scholarship kickers on the roster at the same time along with a punter. He'll stick with Goodman and Davis and hope they figure it out

The kickers have been dreadful this season but there is no way we have 3 scholarship kickers on the roster at the same time along with a punter. He'll stick with Goodman and Davis and hope they figure it out

I think Davis busted his knee for good on that kickoff out of bounds and it will just be Goodman only from here on out.....not like i'm confident with either one tho :cry:

they can't figure it out...if they could they would make a few....they need a ****ing coach!

They never do, I don't care what they say. Kickers practice on their own and special teams is about 10 minutes of practice. You typically don't go 100% live, because you don't want anyone hurt. So you play how you practice half-assed.

When you have as many three and outs as we do, special teams is about 40% of your plays. kickoff return, three and out, punt. If the D gives us a stop, then punt return, three and out, and punt. Even if we get close to try a FG, then we have FG, (hopefully) kickoff, then D. STs are killing us this year. So is the OL, but when two of the three phases of your team is not doing well, then it all rests on the D, which can't carry the team through a whole season. I thought the D looked like they had given up on the ISU game, until they started getting some help from the O, then they picked it up some. In spurts (last two ISU drives they looked gassed again.)

Don't they have a graduate assistant for that stuff? I am sure they don't let these guys just critique themselves. Consistent kicking is all about technique and focus. One is natural, the other is not. You need good coaching to get it AND keep it.

So do we have anybody coaching these guys? I am curious.

Btw, I don't blame Jameson at all. He should never have kicked with his knee like that, and could have seriiously injured himself last week. He may be gone for the rest of the season due to desperation.

Don't they have a graduate assistant for that stuff? I am sure they don't let these guys just critique themselves. Consistent kicking is all about technique and focus. One is natural, the other is not. You need good coaching to get it AND keep it.

So do we have anybody coaching these guys? I am curious.

Btw, I don't blame Jameson at all. He should never have kicked with his knee like that, and could have seriiously injured himself last week. He may be gone for the rest of the season due to desperation.
Agreed...I don't remember CU ever having a "KICKING/PUNTING" coach

Agreed...I don't remember CU ever having a "KICKING/PUNTING" coach

I don't think most teams do. Most kickers learn as they go or go to camps in the summer taught by ex kickers from the NFL. Then its like golf - hit alot of balls form different distances and locations. Then (like golf) there is the pscyh factor. That assumes a good snap and hold. Rid did well with special teams at Boise State - que passa?????

I don't think most teams do. Most kickers learn as they go or go to camps in the summer taught by ex kickers from the NFL. Then its like golf - hit alot of balls form different distances and locations. Then (like golf) there is the pscyh factor. That assumes a good snap and hold. Rid did well with special teams at Boise State - que passa?????
Yes you are correct, however the team needs to have somebody to help the kickers/punters when they get a little sideways. They are way off and need some help to get things going in the right direction.....Do we have this person?????
Rid did well at Boise St....however some guys just GET it and don't need too much help. We DON'T have those kinda guys.

Even Mason Crosby had a worse than normal year in Hawk's first year here. I honestly think it's a coaching issue.

Give Aric another chance early in the OSU game. If me misses it, **** it. If he makes it, we're back...

Back