What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special teams

Give Aric another chance early in the OSU game. If me misses it, **** it. If he makes it, we're back...

Right now, we don't have a lot of other options, than to do exactly what you're saying. It sucks, but there isn't much that can be done about it.

The problem is we now have 3 scholarship K/P....how many can you put on scholly? To get the best HS kickers in the country, you need to offer...we dont have that kind of luxury.

In the current situation, I don't think we have much of a choice. If there's a good kicker out there, we have to get him.

Just asking as I don't know...can they take the schollys back? If so, why would you let Goodman keep his when he's 1 for his last 10?

Just asking as I don't know...can they take the schollys back? If so, why would you let Goodman keep his when he's 1 for his last 10?
I don't ever remember them taking one away due to lack of productivity? I don't think they would do that.

You take a away a scholarship because someone hasn't performed to your expectations and you risk too much. That goes for just about any position. You have to tread very, very lightly, and even if you do you'll probably burn bridges. Goodman is from Colorado (Cherry Creek) so Hawk would undo a lot of the goodwill and ties he has brought back to CU with CO HSFB. I would not want him taking away his scholarship.

AT WYOMING (2006, Fr.): He earned honorable mention Freshman All-America honors from The Sporting News, leading the Cowboys in scoring with 48 points. A true freshman, he made 18-of-20 PAT kicks and 10-of-16 field goals. His average field goal attempt was from a healthy 37.9 yards, with his average make from 36.0 yards. His season long was a 52-yard field goal that also ended up being the game winner in a 27-24 victory over San Diego State. Overall, he was 2-of-2 between 20-29 yards, 5-of-7 from 30-39, 2-of-6 from 40-49 and 1-1 over 50. He also had 45 kickoffs, 11 going for touchbacks (one out of bounds). Under coach Joe Glenn, Wyoming was 6-6 Goodman’s only season in Laramie.

HIGH SCHOOL—Earned first-team All-Colorado and All-State (5A) honors at placekicker as both a junior and senior (Rocky Mountain News) and was also the first-team All-Colorado and All-State (5A) punter as a senior (Denver Post). In having an outstanding senior year at the dual positions, he made 12 field goals, including a long of 50 yards, and converted 34 of 35 extra point kicks for a total of 70 points. He had 49 of his 54 kickoffs go into the endzone for touchbacks and he averaged 41.0 yards per punt. As a junior, when Sports Illustrated cited him as a prep All-American, he made 13 field goals and averaged 42.2 yards per punt. Under coach Greg Critchett, Cherry Creek was 8-3 his senior year (reaching the first round of the state playoffs) and was 12-2 his junior season (state runner-ups); he was a co-captain of both those squads. He also lettered four times in soccer, earning All-State honors as a senior captain in leading Cherry Creek to a 26-3 record and the semifinals of the state playoffs.

He has to make a couple and get out of his slump. I know it sucks because we are 4-14 this year, but he can do it. He just has to get over his nerves. Hopefully he does it before the season ends because I don't know if he will be able to mentally recover by next year if he doesn't. It's also not like he has been missing them by a lot either. He just needs a little bit of coaching up.

Goodman is a Colorado kid, so the real concern isn't the money involved, but the scholarship limit. I wonder if they could work out a deal to put him on financial aid and get the scholarship back. That would solve the problem if it could be done. I'll add that I have no idea if this is even feasible.

Goodman is a Colorado kid, so the real concern isn't the money involved, but the scholarship limit. I wonder if they could work out a deal to put him on financial aid and get the scholarship back. That would solve the problem if it could be done. I'll add that I have no idea if this is even feasible.

I believe that all athletes tuition gets charged to the AD at the Out of State Rate. The reason is because the in-state rate is below the true cost of education. The AD has been trying to get it changed to the True Cost instead of the OOS rate because it is about $10K less .

Scholarships are renewable on an annual basis. Each one is a 1 year commitment only. So, any staff is theoretically allowed to skip renewing a scholarship for a player.

Now would a staff ever actually do that? No way, not in a million years. They'd talk to the kid about transferring or something to make it look ok in the press. Pulling a scholarship from a player would be a killer in recruiting. Any opposing coach would gladly bring that up in front of a kid's parents to show how little the school's commitment to the players means.

We have who we have. Get them healthy. Send them to a shrink. Burn another scholarship if we have to. The number of points we've left on the table due to kicking issues is scary.

I think he's about exhausted his chances, but I'd rather not see Colorado have 4 (...) scholarships going to kickers/punters. So, the team doesn't really have much of a choice but to keep throwing him out there, I guess, unless we can get someone not on scholarship.

My buddy Ken Culbertson was invited to walk on way back in 1986. He ended up being a pretty decent kicker for the Buffs, and he earned a scholarship along the way.

If we do the invited walk-on thing, it would have to be a Colorado kid. Anybody know of any high school kickers here in the state that are any good? I know BHS has a kicker that kicked a 48 yarder this year, but I think he's a junior.

Ben DeLine (at least I think that's his name) from Steamboat had a great leg, but went to CSU this year. I watched him nail some 50+ yard field goals at a couple of the Steamboat games I went to. You would think in the entire state there would be some good kickers that would jump at the opportunity to play for Colorado.

Ben DeLine (at least I think that's his name) from Steamboat had a great leg, but went to CSU this year. I watched him nail some 50+ yard field goals at a couple of the Steamboat games I went to. You would think in the entire state there would be some good kickers that would jump at the opportunity to play for Colorado.

I think the entire DeLine family went to CSU. They're like the Andersons at CU.

I think the entire DeLine family went to CSU. They're like the Andersons at CU.

Yeah. I don't know how big their family is, but his father was a kicker there too. So i doubt CU ever had a shot at him if they wanted to. Besides we weren't looking for a kicker at this time last year.

I'm fairly certain that if we found a walk-on at an open tryout we wouldn't ever need to burn a scholly on them....just giving a kid off the street a chance to put on the black and gold and play on saturday would be payment in itself...at least to me

I'm fairly certain that if we found a walk-on at an open tryout we wouldn't ever need to burn a scholly on them....just giving a kid off the street a chance to put on the black and gold and play on saturday would be payment in itself...at least to me
If they play a certain amount of time you have to give them a scholly

I don't know the amount of play time they must get to get one......but the starters get schollies, the university has to give them one.

The university doesn't HAVE to do ****. I suspect you're thinking back to Hawk's explanation for giving Goodman a scholly after the WVA game. Hawk may have an unwritten policy to give schollies to starters, but there certainly is no requirement that a starter get one.

The university doesn't HAVE to do ****. I suspect you're thinking back to Hawk's explanation for giving Goodman a scholly after the WVA game. Hawk may have an unwritten policy to give schollies to starters, but there certainly is no requirement that a starter get one.
I would like to know the rules, because I am guessing. HOWEVER, The university used to have to give a stater a scholly. If they did not they could pay$$$$you to play. Years ago starters would turn down schollies to get paid because it was not an NCAA violation if you were not on scholarship. To fix that the NCAA said that starters must be on scholarship. That rule may have changed but I don't think so

My question isnt off topic with the thread but it kinda is with where the thread has went so I apologize. My question is, when is the last time we blocked a damn punt or field goal? I seriously cant remember, has it been that long?

Nice neg rep ....for my comments in this section....are you ****ing kidding me..and without a comment...your a pussy

who ru talking to? I didnt say anything about you just wondered when we blocked a punt or kick last thats all?

Back