What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special teams

I think you are right, thanks for the heads up. I remember Biekert, those were the good ole days when we didnt care who we played, we'd beat that ass.

I think you are right, thanks for the heads up. I remember Biekert, those were the good ole days when we didnt care who we played, we'd beat that ass.
thats right those were to good old days.....i am excited for us to get back to that level of football

I would like to know the rules, because I am guessing. HOWEVER, The university used to have to give a stater a scholly. If they did not they could pay$$$$you to play. Years ago starters would turn down schollies to get paid because it was not an NCAA violation if you were not on scholarship. To fix that the NCAA said that starters must be on scholarship. That rule may have changed but I don't think so

Looked at the rules since I was curious as well and there is absolutely nothing in there that state you have to give a scholarship to anyone depending on playing time etc. Scholarships are awarded at the coaches discretion only and the only rules set aside are the number of scholarships alotted. Everything i've seen says Walk Ons can be rewarded a scholarship only at the coaches discretion, just as a recruit is offered a scholarship.

Looked at the rules since I was curious as well and there is absolutely nothing in there that state you have to give a scholarship to anyone depending on playing time etc. Scholarships are awarded at the coaches discretion only and the only rules set aside are the number of scholarships alotted. Everything i've seen says Walk Ons can be rewarded a scholarship only at the coaches discretion, just as a recruit is offered a scholarship.

I looked as well, found nothing...I still believe there is something...I will look further.. If there was no rule DS would not be on scholly and making a small fortune in Texas. Why would anyone take a scholly and be restricted in everything they can do,then? It changed around the time Eric Dickerson came out of TCU. Mike Saxon who punted for years with Dallas told me he turn down his scholly at SDSU and got paid a truck load for doing nothing, but he was not on scholly so the rules didn't apply.

There are NO rules that require a player to get a scholarship based on playing time. It's a coaches discretionary decision only. In fact, scholarships are 1 year renewable contracts. They are NOT 4 year agreements.

Were's valdezj? He could help answer this... I bet

Where I think you're off is your assertion that non scholarship players are allowed to take money to offset the cost of tuition, fees, etc. This is not the case. NCAA rules apply to any athlete, regardless of whether he/she is on scholarship.

My buddy Ken Culbertson was invited to walk on way back in 1986. He ended up being a pretty decent kicker for the Buffs, and he earned a scholarship along the way.

If we do the invited walk-on thing, it would have to be a Colorado kid. Anybody know of any high school kickers here in the state that are any good? I know BHS has a kicker that kicked a 48 yarder this year, but I think he's a junior.

You will cringe before I finish this sentence but there is a kid a Cherry Creek that pounds it. His name is Willenbrock. Kicked it out of the end zone every time. Good height etc. Looking at Princeton, Dartmouth, Notre Dame. Guess he plays lacrosse too. Rivals has him as #18 in country.

On that note, how hard is it to recruit a K or P to CU???
"Son, come to Colorado. Ball travels 11% farther. Come for 4/5 years, boom kicks, win awards, go to the pros. Don't believe me? Look at our track record. Please sign here."

Where I think you're off is your assertion that non scholarship players are allowed to take money to offset the cost of tuition, fees, etc. This is not the case. NCAA rules apply to any athlete, regardless of whether he/she is on scholarship.

If you need clarification, call Jeremy Bloom.

You will cringe before I finish this sentence but there is a kid a Cherry Creek that pounds it. His name is Willenbrock. Kicked it out of the end zone every time. Good height etc. Looking at Princeton, Dartmouth, Notre Dame. Guess he plays lacrosse too. Rivals has him as #18 in country.

Princeton is gorgeous, but their football program sucks. I'd go there if I were him, but I wouldn't expect to get any larger crowds than what he's used to at Creek. Seriously.

Princeton is gorgeous, but their football program sucks. I'd go there if I were him, but I wouldn't expect to get any larger crowds than what he's used to at Creek. Seriously.

You're right on all accounts, I've been to games there. It says he is high on Dartmouth FWIW. I would think if he wants lacrosse too, Princeton would be the place.

I thought ivy league schools didn't give athletic scholarships. I hope he's rich as all hell or smart. Or both.

I thought ivy league schools didn't give athletic scholarships. I hope he's rich as all hell or smart. Or both.

Ivy League schools don't give athletic scholarships, but they do give out financial aid based on need. The way it works at Princeton is that the "full" cost of a year is $45,000, which includes room & board. BUT, if your family makes less than $75,000/Yr, the cost is reduced to $5,000. Here's the kicker - it's nearly impossible to get in. That's why if he can go there, it would be worth it.

Ivy League schools don't give athletic scholarships, but they do give out financial aid based on need. The way it works at Princeton is that the "full" cost of a year is $45,000, which includes room & board. BUT, if your family makes less than $75,000/Yr, the cost is reduced to $5,000. Here's the kicker - it's nearly impossible to get in. That's why if he can go there, it would be worth it.

Are there other reductions or just for under 75K? Because 76K isn't going to afford 45K a year either...

Are there other reductions or just for under 75K? Because 76K isn't going to afford 45K a year either...

Yes, but I don't know what the tiers are. If I remember correctly, it goes from $75K to around $150K. Once you hit the $150K/Yr mark, you're on the hook for the entire amount. I could be off on those numbers though.

the long and short of it is that Princeton (and the other Ivy League schools, for that matter) are all out there looking for the guy or girl who will someday be the President, or be the guy who cures Cancer, or write the great American Novel. They all have such enormous endowments, that they use them to attract the cream of the crop. They get 10,000 applications a year from High School valedectorians. They only admit 1,500 or so students. They're extremely selective.

Last edited:
Yes, but I don't know what the tiers are. If I remember correctly, it goes from $75K to around $150K. Once you hit the $150K/Yr mark, you're on the hook for the entire amount. I could be off on those numbers though.

In any event, that's a hell of a deal if you are under 75K and can get in.

In any event, that's a hell of a deal if you are under 75K and can get in.

Yes it is. But like I said, they don't want the future President of the United States to go to Penn because they couldn't afford the cost of Princeton. Those schools compete on an entirely different level than we do.

Or at least tie that ass:

The game in which Biekert returned the XP kick for two points ended when CU blocked a field goal in the closing seconds to preserve a tie (19 to 19?)against nebraska. 1991, I think--the year after the NC.

You are correct about the no scholarship part, however, they do give "grants". They use the endowments that Sack mentioned to assist athletes with tuition. Grants are essentially loans that don't have to be paid back. Coaches of every sport can earmark a certain number of students for "preferred admission". Their grades and test scores still have to be well above you average D-I program but there is some wiggle room. They treat athletics similar to the kid that won the science fair or top violinist. It is seen as a skill above test scores and grades that can enrich the student body as a whole. Then depending on financial need, they put together a program of grants, scholarships, loans and work-study jobs.

Back