What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special Teams

Guys, I'm not trying to piss on your legs and tell you it's raining. :smile2:

Our special teams were mostly bad last year. And the buck has to stop with Coach Riddle.

But I see enough there (kickoff returns, punt returns when we had J-Fly, kickoff coverage - yes, much credit to Aric's kickoff ability) that's encouraging to me. I know that the weight of evidence isn't on my side, but I'm making an educated longshot bet that we are going to have damn good special teams across the board in 2010. I believe that Riddle finally pulls it together this year and gives us special teams like he delivered at Boise.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some more glue to sniff. :wink2:

FG's, kickoffs and punting were awful, especially in altitude. Our kick returns and punt returns were nothing to brag about either. We sucked on special teams period. I'd love to see our players with a coaching staff that knows what they're doing.

Our special teams were mostly bad last year. And the buck has to stop with Coach Riddle.

But I see enough there (kickoff returns, punt returns when we had J-Fly, kickoff coverage - yes, much credit to Aric's kickoff ability) that's encouraging to me. I know that the weight of evidence isn't on my side, but I'm making an educated longshot bet that we are going to have damn good special teams across the board in 2010. I believe that Riddle finally pulls it together this year and gives us special teams like he delivered at Boise.

Were his special teams good at Boise?

I'm all for hope and everything as I'm currently drinking the koolaid, but I mean I just couldn't agree with you that Riddle is a good special teams coach. :smile2:

Either way I think there is reason for hope on special teams. Kick return was pretty good last year with Lockridge and Scott, Lockridge is back so let's assume we're set there. PR was pretty awful, but mostly because we didn't have many better options I guess. Assuming someone steps up at PR (Patterson?) we can at least be average in that department. Kickoff coverage should be good again with Goodman back. Punting should be improved with AJ's boy Grossnickle as well as better team depth to afford some better athletes playing ST. FG... well we have some competition at least.

Were his special teams good at Boise?

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle....G=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=226212&Q_SEASON=2010

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Riddle, 40, was Boise State's running backs and special teams coach for five seasons, all under Hawkins. Many of his special team units finished regularly in the NCAA top 25, as the kickoff return team was in the top 21 all five years and the punt return team placed in the top 18 the last four seasons. And over the course of his five years, precision reigned in the kicking game, as BSU kickers converted 96.8 percent of their PAT kicks (330-of-341) and 73.1 percent of their field goal tries (68-of-93). [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In 2005, Boise State ranked 12th in the nation in kickoff returns (24.2), anchored by Lee Marks, who was 10th nationally as an individual (27.9, 1 TD). The Broncos were also 18th in punt returns (12.8), with Quinton Jones second in the country with a gaudy 20.9 yards per return, including three scores. The coverage units were exceptional as well; BSU was 17th in punt return defense (5.9) and 29th in kickoff return defense (18.7).
Riddle coached placekicker Tyler Jones to an All-American season and a spot as one of three finalists for the Lou Groza Award in 2004. Overall, BSU's special teams proved to be as good as any unit in the country. In addition to Jones, punter Kyle Stringer was named second-team all-WAC, averaging 43.9 yards per punt. The Broncos finished third in the nation in punt returns (16.6), 21st in kickoff returns (23.0) and 29th in net punting (37.3 yards). The Broncos also blocked four kicks for the second straight season, including a possible game winning field goal by San Jose State. Following the 2004 season, he spoke at the American Football Coaches Association convention on special teams, one of his many personal highlights.

In 2003, the Broncos ranked 15th in the country in both kickoff and punt returns, following up a 2002 campaign when both finished 13th in the NCAA. The Broncos also led the WAC in punt returns and kickoff coverage, allowing just 17.0 yards per return. In 2001, David Mikell was seventh in the nation in kickoff returns (28.4, 1 TD), leading the team to a 19th place national ranking.
[/FONT]

Kickoff coverage was among the best in the country.

Punt coverage was clearly due to short punts with little hang time.

Also, there's that fake FG versus Missouri last year that resulted in a touchdown. Riddle identified that fake as something to look for, he and others called out to watch for it when Mizzou lined up... and then our most reliable player (Chap Brown) missed the tackle and the MU guy ran for a touchdown. I blame Riddle for a lack of execution. Getting players to execute on ST is ultimately his job, but sometimes **** happens even though you did things right.

I don't believe we have a scheme problem.

You write this article ? :lol:

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_15790995?source=rss

"Colorado was among the nation`s best at returning and covering kickoffs"

:lalala:

we gave up 50+ per to CSU. look it up. we gave then a short field almost every time.

I didn't remember giving up huge returns to CSU, so I looked at the game stats for kick-offs and returns:

Opening kick-off = touchback no return
1 kickoff in 1st half (since we only scored 3 ****ing points!) = returned to the CSU 19 yard line (from 5 yards deep)
1st kick off 2nd half = returned to the CSU 23 yard line (from the goal line), person foul on CSU pushed it back to the CSU 12
2nd kick off 2nd half = on side kick recovered at the 50

The official stats say they had two kick returns for 42 yards.

I would say our kick off coverage was pretty good that game. I guess the stats might be scewed due to the on-side kick.

Last edited:
I didn't remember giving up huge returns to CSU, so I looked at the game stats for kick-offs and returns:

Opening kick-off = touchback no return
1 kickoff in 1st half (since we only scored 3 ****ing points!) = returned to the CSU 19 yard line (from 5 yards deep)
1st kick off 2nd half = returned to the CSU 23 yard line (from the goal line), person foul on CSU pushed it back to the CSU 12
2nd kick off 2nd half = on side kick recovered at the 50

The official stats say they had to kick returns for 42 yards.

I would say our kick off coverage was pretty good that game. I guess the stats might be scewed due to the on-side kick.

Thanks for that. I thought I remembered giving up field position off kickoffs that day. Guess not. Stats don't lie.

Back