What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special Teams

Buffarino

Math - how does it work?
Club Member
Looked much, much better yesterday. Still not what I would call a strength of the team, but not the abomination that we saw all last year. Looking forward to Patterson returning punts this year.

I'll give Riddle some credit for yesterday. Lord knows I've been quick enough to rip on him for bad ST performances. Credit where credit is due. Made all our kicks, had great kickoffs, covered kickoffs/punts well, had a good punting average, got good returns, and blocked a field goal. Now build on this, get better and more consistent, and cut out the penalties. We're not good enough for Special Teams to be mediocre. We must win the kicking game every week.

Our punting was horrible. Line drives all day to the guy catching. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

41.4 average with 4/7 not returned and 2 put inside the 20 without any touchbacks. The 3 that did get returned were a problem (44 yards with a long of 24 - luckily there were penalties). I agree that there is a lot of room for improvement, but I couldn't care less if it looks pretty as long as we have that sort of stat line.

And DiLallo averaged 38.64 per punt last year (86th in the nation out of 98 qualifying punters), so this is a significant improvement. Grossnickle's average would have put him at 47th among 2009 punters, which would have been in the top half of the nation. I'm actually pretty encouraged since he was a freshman playing his first game, it's a big improvement from a year ago, and Grossnickle has the talent to be much better.

The punting game was my biggest complaint about special teams yesterday and that's a good sign.

Special teams didn't hurt us yesterday, and actually helped a bit. Good punt returns, a block, no missed opportunities.

Other than the punting, which I had hoped would be much improved, there isn't much to complain about. Let's hope they keep it up. We'll need it when we go up against real competition.

I'll give Riddle some credit for yesterday. Lord knows I've been quick enough to rip on him for bad ST performances. Credit where credit is due. Made all our kicks, had great kickoffs, covered kickoffs/punts well, had a good punting average, got good returns, and blocked a field goal. Now build on this, get better and more consistent, and cut out the penalties. We're not good enough for Special Teams to be mediocre. We must win the kicking game every week.

Also props to Will Jeff for the (almost) Win!
He didn't block this punt, but he came darn close.
DOOYLMZPQWAVSCE.20100904233241.jpg

This was a strength he showed in the August scrimmage.
As demonstrated here:
aug scrimm blocked punt 967815644_d5RyK-M.jpg

Back