What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special Teams

Just so we are clear, I thought Espinoza returning punts was a joke. For Spruce to be successful, he will have to make people miss. A decent to good punt return can ignite a team, just as a fumble can deflate a team. You have to find the balance and I think that is what Spruce represents.

Agree both on Espinoza (though through their own fault they didn't have a lot of other options) and on the making people miss. It would be nice to see a burner cruizing down the sidelines for TDs but guys who do that are pretty rare. Rick Upchurch who was a great PR used to say that his strategy was simple, catch the ball, make the first guy miss, get upfield.

Spruce is no Upchurch in terms of having the explosive cut and speed but if he can successfully do these three things he will get his share of 10-15 yard returns and maybe some longer ones. He will also not hurt the team. After the past two staffs I would be very happy with this.

Espinoza<<<Spruce<<<<Steve Rosga<<<<Dave McCloughan<<<<Jeff Campbell<<<<<Roman Holowell<<<<<Ben Kelly<<<<Jeremy Bloom

Kick returners are different than punt returners. Mosley gaining a head of steam and finding the seam is not at all the same as catching a punt in traffic then making a cut upfield. You guys really underestimate Spruce's athleticism.

no we are just confused by your intermittent sarcasm/mike mac love.

Bloom over BK? I might need to see some stats to be convinced.

Maybe I just like BK because I met him several times and he was awesome.

Top 3 should be: BK, Soupy, GQ

WRONG! No. 1 = Cliff Branch, hands down! (Don't forget him, just because all you little boys never saw him play.) Jeremy Bloom No. 2; Jeff Campbell No. 3; all in terms of consistency of threat to go all the way..

I actually recall BK as a dual, but more KO threat, rather than punt returner, where I always thought he was shaky. BK had a burst on KO's that was tough to defend.

WRONG! No. 1 = Cliff Branch, hands down! (Don't forget him, just because all you little boys never saw him play.) Jeremy Bloom No. 2; Jeff Campbell No. 3; all in terms of consistency of threat to go all the way..

I actually recalls. BK as a dual, but more KO threat, rather than punt returner, where I always thought he was shaky. BK had a burst on KO's that was tough to defend.

Absolutely. Branch was above everyone at that time. Bloom is the only guy since on punts that I can recall thinking every catch could go to the house. BK was a KO guy. Needed a thread of a seam and was gone Bloom was incredible. Made the first two or three miss. If there wasn't a fourth....gone. Athlete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Absolutely. Branch was above everyone at that time. Bloom is the only guy since on punts that I can recall thinking every catch could go to the house. BK was a KO guy. Needed a thread of a seam and was gone Bloom was incredible. Made the first two or three miss. If there wasn't a fourth....gone. Athlete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Bloom took his first ever punt return to the house against the Lambs, right?

Bloom took his first ever punt return to the house against the Lambs, right?

I am pretty sure he did. I remember watching it from the stands thinking "Damn, the next four years are going to be special to watch this guy!" Flipping NCAA.:banghead:

Back