What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spencer Dinwiddie Injury

Re: Spencer Injury

Let's clear up some misconceptions about torn ACLs. You can absolutely walk and put weight on you knee after. I tore my acl. Walked to my car, drove home (manual), and then went to a concert later than night. I had a full tear and a limp because my knee was very swollen.

So just because someone can walk doesn't mean it isn't torn and just because someone can't (and I have no idea why they wouldn't be able to) doesn't mean it is.

Lets just wait for the MRI tomorrow.

Let's clear up some misconceptions about torn ACLs. You can absolutely walk and put weight on you knee after. I tore my acl. Walked to my car, drove home (manual), and then went to a concert later than night. I had a full tear and a limp because my knee was very swollen.

So just because someone can walk doesn't mean it isn't torn and just because someone can't (and I have no idea why they wouldn't be able to) doesn't mean it is.

Good point. You're right about all that. Fingers crossed for Mayor.

Makes me wonder if he didn't feel it tweak in Spokane and that had his attention in the first half vs. Wazzu? Anymore, it seems there are few injuries that athletes can't come back and rehab from. The science and the medicine are so much more advanced than they used to be.

In the old days, the scar from knee surgery used to look like a 6 inch, extra-large zipper, now its a inch long/eighth-inch wide, shiny spot.

Guess we'll see what Talton and Hopkins are made of?

Makes me wonder if he didn't feel it tweak in Spokane and that had his attention in the first half vs. Wazzu? Anymore, it seems there are few injuries that athletes can't come back and rehab from. The science and the medicine are so much more advanced than they used to be.

In the old days, the scar from knee surgery used to look like a 6 inch, extra-large zipper, now its a inch long/eighth-inch wide, shiny spot.

Your scar depends on the graft used. If they do a patella graft, he will still have a decent scar. What kind of graft are most of they athletes using?

The trainers and physicians on hand can do stability tests that tell the likelihood of ligament damage, that might be what gave Spencer the idea that he was done for the year.

On the way home from the Broncos game and just saw this thread. ****. Feel awful for him and the team.

I have an awful pit in my stomach. Feel so bad for Spencer. I remember my ACL recovery some years ago. I sure hope that is not what he is facing. We will have to wait for the MRI like the rest. Karma.

I can't imagine there was any indication of damage until the second it buckled. It's just one of those things that happens sometimes.

I think the trend is back with Cadavers.

I'm pretty sure RG3 had the patella graft both times. That was part of the concern with his second surgery- they had to go into the other knee for the patella since he had already had it done once.

Watching this program grow over the last 5 years, there were numerous times where I would find myself amazed at the overall injury luck we'd have with key players. Roberson was out for a few games here and there but nothing season ending. Just think of a Burks or a Roberson or a Carlon Brown etc had a season ender, Tad may not have gotten to this point in building the program into one that can sustain big blows. At least, maybe not this quickly.

I love da Mayor and I'm praying for him. This is not intended to take anything away from him. If it is what we all dread then clearly expectations for the season are capped, but we've been incredibly lucky with injuries up until now. It's still the deepest team we've ever seen. May have went from 337th in experience to last--that can only bode well for the future. My only hope is da Mayor continues to be a part of it.

I can't imagine there was any indication of damage until the second it buckled. It's just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Yeah, the biggest culprit was the Udub court. Guys were slipping constantly w/o impediment. I hope Tad puts a complaint in. Something is seriously wrong with their court.

Lindsay Vonn has been racing with out one.

Lindsay Vonn has been racing with out one.

You absolutely cannot hoop without an acl. The acl is what keeps your kneecap from extending too far past your lower leg. So if you try to stop on a dime your leg buckles (watch Spencer replay on what happens) and you go down. I tried playing hoops a lot on a torn acl and it does not work.

As for skiing. How hard can it be to slide down a hill with sticks attached to your feet. Skiers can barely walk without falling so I am assuming it takes no athletic ability. I believe skiing with no acl is like playing a real sport with a bad haircut.

You absolutely cannot hoop without an acl. The acl is what keeps your kneecap from extending too far past your lower leg. So if you try to stop on a dime your leg buckles (watch Spencer replay on what happens) and you go down. I tried playing hoops a lot on a torn acl and it does not work.

As for skiing. How hard can it be to slide down a hill with sticks attached to your feet. Skiers can barely walk without falling so I am assuming it takes no athletic ability. I believe skiing with no acl is like playing a real sport with a bad haircut.
Um... you don't know much about world cup skiing do ya? people die in downhill, no now has ever died playing a game of hoops. slope's are injected with water to make them ice hard and they are going 90+ mph. hoops? quite a bit slower and no danger.

As dumb as the Lindsay Vonn analogy was, you just topped him. I'm assuming you're joking. World class skiers are incredible athletes and some of the most fearless people alive.

Um... you don't know much about world cup skiing do ya? people die in downhill, no now has ever died playing a game of hoops. slope's are injected with water to make them ice hard and they are going 90+ mph. hoops? quite a bit slower and no danger.

Regardless, skiing is not playing basketball. It's very difficult, but it's not the same.

Spencer's injury is a minor setback for a major comeback. He's gonna get his knee healthy and rehab it well in the off season so when it comes to next season he'll be even better getting his draft stock back. He'll contribute at PG with his skills and senior leadership abilities that will keep are team together and hopefully when a pac-12 championship next year. All we can do now is pray for him and hope him a speedy recovery and keep supporting the team with Spencer's absence. Everything happens for a reason and because of this incident it will make are boys come together in a time of adversity and keep fighting with out a great player and leader. It will teach our guys to step and make plays. I'm sure tad will take advantage if this situation to teach the boys how to pull through and finish the season strong and by next year we will have spencer back and our new freshman coming in.

I was trying to re-enforce your point about spencer walking.

Shawn Elliot played his entire Career with no ACLS.

not trying to sugar coat Spencer's loss here - it's huge, he does a lot.

But to quote Brad Pitt in Moneyball - "Guys, you're still trying to replace Dinwiddie. I told you we can't do it. We can't do it. Now what we might be able to do is recreate him."

So how do you recreate Dinwiddie? He represents 33% of offensive win shares and 16% of defensive win shares. Personally I think this is going to come down to a few things

A) Booker has to have efficient nights, CU can't afford to have him have poor shooting nights where he doesn't get to the line
B) Defense - Dinwiddie usually gets the opponents best guy, I think this is by committee, (Goose is going to love this) but CU needs Fletch and his length to create defensive match-up issues
C) Hopkins, he's likely the new starter, he's got to get to the rack and get the ball to Scott and Wes
D) Scott just needs to be Scoot
E) XJ, it's easy to overlook how big of a get he was for CU - he's good but gets overshadowed, he can create matchup issues on the wing against bigger opponents and in the post against smaller guys - time to start seeing it

Back