What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spencer's future..

I would love him on the Lakers. Hopefully he goes to a large market team and not some crappy team/market like Milwaukee.

I just hope he has a solid NBA career, if he does it in a big market, that's a bonus.

He's going to get his $$ either way.

It's much better for CU if he is in a market that gets him on national TV frequently. Every time that he is announced as being from the University of Colorado it helps a little bit with recruiting. The kind of kids Tad is going to be looking for in the future have NBA dreams. Seeing CU players in the league makes CU a viable option to pursue their dreams.

It's much better for CU if he is in a market that gets him on national TV frequently. Every time that he is announced as being from the University of Colorado it helps a little bit with recruiting. The kind of kids Tad is going to be looking for in the future have NBA dreams. Seeing CU players in the league makes CU a viable option to pursue their dreams.

What's interesting to think about is Boyle's recruiting strategy of getting guys that develop over 2-4 years vs. one and dones, so when they get drafted, it will probably be on a better team in the end of the 1st round (example - Andre Roberson to the Thunder). I don't expect Dinwiddie to go in the top 15 because this draft is stacked with talent and Dinwiddie isn't that good of athlete compared to pros, but i think he can definitely go top 25 with a good showing at the combine and success against the top teams in our conference.

I'm not saying Boyle wouldn't go after a one and done type talent, but I beleive he prefers guys that will stay 2-4 years that he can coach up, and I believe that strategy works better for long-term sustainable success.

What's interesting to think about is Boyle's recruiting strategy of getting guys that develop over 2-4 years vs. one and dones, so when they get drafted, it will probably be on a better team in the end of the 1st round (example - Andre Roberson to the Thunder). I don't expect Dinwiddie to go in the top 15 because this draft is stacked with talent and Dinwiddie isn't that good of athlete compared to pros, but i think he can definitely go top 25 with a good showing at the combine and success against the top teams in our conference.

I'm not saying Boyle wouldn't go after a one and done type talent, but I beleive he prefers guys that will stay 2-4 years that he can coach up, and I believe that strategy works better for long-term sustainable success.
Spencer will go higher. And I don't think he minds one and dones. He just hasn't had the opportunity. There's no way he would've turned down wiggins or Parker.

Spencer will be a top 15 pick. He has the size and mastery of the point guard position that NBA scouts will drool over.

Andre, Alec, and Spencer were not one and dones but all had a dream of playing in the league as do virtually all better quality HS players, realistic or not.

It wouldn't shock me to see Tad go after one and done guys but even if he isn't seeing CU players on TV in the NBA validates in the minds of the recruit that going to CU is a possible route to getting paid, even if they are there longer than one year.

Yeah sure, just saying if he's playing in a big market, he might not be playing as many minutes. I'd rather him be a big fish in a small pond than the other way.

We're not Kentucky, I doubt Boyle is going to regularly go after one-and-done types. I think he's more of a big picture guy. I don't think many one-and-done guys are seriously considering Colorado. we're better but were not elite.

He's at the end of the mock drafts, getting to a lottery pick would be great, but wouldn't count on it.

The same mocks that had Dre at the end of the 2nd round or undrafted? I don't believe a thing about them. Especially this early.

I don't really know how much that really matters. I'm sure it has some benefit, but one player making it in Chauncey, didn't seem to have much of a benefit as far as recruiting goes. Guess you can say Alec getting drafted helped CU land other kids, but I'd argued Tad's approach in recruiting and the program improving under him, played a bigger role. I believe sustained success at the college level is more important as far as getting top recruits to pick CU. Specifically, tournament success

The same mocks that had Dre at the end of the 2nd round or undrafted? I don't believe a thing about them. Especially this early.
Ok there's going to be exceptions to everything since you discount mock drafts completely, do you see the possibility short of major injury for Spencer to get drafted ahead of Wiggins? Just wondering.

Ok there's going to be exceptions to everything since you discount mock drafts completely, do you see the possibility short of major injury for Spencer to get drafted ahead of Wiggins? Just wondering.

No. Because the draft is about potential and Wiggins could be a Kobe for someone. You have to take a shot at that.

I think the better comparisons are with guys like Smart or Carson. As much as they are exciting players who are great athletes filling the stat sheet, are they really going to be the guy on a contending NBA team? Spencer's a better shooter whose evaluation will compare favorably with Michael Carter-Williams who went 11th and may be ROY this season.

No. Because the draft is about potential and Wiggins could be a Kobe for someone. You have to take a shot at that.

I think the better comparisons are with guys like Smart or Carson. As much as they are exciting players who are great athletes filling the stat sheet, are they really going to be the guy on a contending NBA team? Spencer's a better shooter whose evaluation will compare favorably with Michael Carter-Williams who went 11th and may be ROY this season.
I mean I think it's safe to say with how loaded the draft is this year, it's virtually impossible for Spencer to be a top 5 pick. Probably even lower. I haven't studied the draft too much. It's much more likely a player like Roberson could go from undrafted to a first round pick.

Barring a huge upset or death or something, I can't see anyone sneaking into the top 7 other than Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Exum, Smart, Embiid and Gordon. Those guys are on a whole other level.

We all know Spencer is leaving and that is the right decision...but not sure that he needs to discuss it so much (recall him mentioning it in a post-game presser too).

Then again, if I was a 21 year old headed to the NBA I'd be excited too.

We all know Spencer is leaving and that is the right decision...but not sure that he needs to discuss it so much (recall him mentioning it in a post-game presser too).

Then again, if I was a 21 year old headed to the NBA I'd be excited too.

I was watching an interview of Jabari Parker and he was basically 100% all-in on the NBA after this year. Obviously not surprising, but an 18-19 year old making millions like that. Crazy.

I think a lot of people are being silly when they talk about whether an athlete should turn pro or not.

We get a lot of big money enterprises feeding us a propaganda campaign about this and we also get emotional about the college we cheer for.

And this somehow makes some of us forget the core issue here.

Just ask yourself this question: If at any time in your life, if someone would have told you that you could have your dream job and be paid millions of dollars to do it, was there ever a time you would have refused because you wanted to spend another year in your current situation?

Back