What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spikers Head To Southern Calif. For Two Matches

Looks like Kelsey English in as Middle Blocker for 1st time in many matches. Hopefully means she's feeling better.

13-18. official TO as one of their setters has a nosebleed.

One thing I never knew- I guess they said each school decides what type/ brand of ball is used. (I always assumed there would be a national or, at minimum, a league-wide standard. They mentioned this awhile ago trying to explain why the Buffs might be having service problems.)

Their setter had to go out due to the bleeding, and they're still getting points with an outside hitter setting right now. They've blocked 3 or 4 in the last few points- 21-14 USC, TO CU

USC wins set 3 25-19 and match 3-0. Buffs did show some fight at the end.

Going to have to shake this one off and get ready for the Bruins.

Hopefully they can rebound from this one and split the matches with the LA schools on Sunday.

I believe/ hope this match was more about USC having a renaissance as opposed to the Buffs playing that bad. USC were 1-3 in conference, but all the losses have been to Top 25 teams. My quick impressions:

1) For the Buffs, Taylor Simpson had a good statistical and actual good hitting game. I also thought Neira Ortiz-Ruiz had a good match, even if as I look at the stats she only hit .167. Late in the match, they let her unleash her hard jump serve (which had had trouble getting in), and she hit them all in and got a mini-run going for the Buffs. So, that might be something to consider for the future.
And, it's weird, other than getting blocked a couple times, I don't remember Alexis Austin having to dink balls over or whatever, so looked OK to me, but she hit .000. I think they were just able to dig her a lot with some very good defense.
CU's defense had a few bad touches more than the last couple matches, so that will also need to be improved.

2) Service errors, although they aren't that painful when the serve is overall causing problems, is VERY painful when the serve isn't causing the other team any pain. Hopefully a practice or two at sea level will help improve the serve quality before Sunday.

3) I give USC a LOT of the credit for this match. Their defense (both block and back row) and offense were both humming, and their servng, especially Bricio, was lethal. (I think the Buffs had allowed 5 aces in total through the 1st 4 matches, and Bricio alone got 4 tonight, and I can't remember any of them being Buff screw-ups.)
Also, some little things I was very impressed with USC. For example, we went to a rare 5-1 in the 3rd set, which I assume they wouldn't have been that prepared for. One thing the 5-1 allows is for the Buff's highest % play from last year, the slide to Kelsey English, to become a factor. And, in spite of our throwing this 5-1 changeup, they went ahead and blocked English's slide 3 times straight. Very impressive for them.

4) And, for volleyball fans- as I raved about Bricio tonight, on Sunday will be awaiting the #1 hitter in the country- Karsta Lowe of UCLA, so the "fun" will continue if the Buffs don't firm up some. On the bright side, at least Ms. Lowe's serve isn't that lethal. Edit- This is also a situation, similar to Buff's basketball, where it definitely won't hurt if our travel "partner", Utah, gives UCLA a HARD workout tonight. (Their match has just started.)

Last edited:
This Buffs team has got to learn (and hopefully quickly) how to win away from Boulder!

random aside to this. I stayed at a hotel in culver city the last few days where utah's volleyball team was staying as well as ASU, UCLA, UC Davis, and another school i cannot remember's water polo teams stayed. it was kind of crazy, sad to say i did not see any buffs though.

The USC match was not even competitive when I watched it. This team is capable so much more.

I hate to say it but this reminds me of watching CU football road games (until this season). There's no point in watching because you can just expect a loss on the road, irregardless of how good or bad the opponent is.

Let's beat UCLA!

This Buffs team has got to learn (and hopefully quickly) how to win away from Boulder!

The USC match was not even competitive when I watched it. This team is capable so much more.

I hate to say it but this reminds me of watching CU football road games (until this season). There's no point in watching because you can just expect a loss on the road, irregardless of how good or bad the opponent is.

Let's beat UCLA!

My thought was that this match was not the least bit competitive. They looked like they were sleepwalking through the match. This team has to learn to win on the road against teams in the Pac 12. They have not done well all season on the road. Yes, they are young, but the freshmen have been playing all season.

Watch some of the Utah/USC match last night. Player who got the bloody nose from Taylor's kill still had a red nose. USC commentators thought she was tentative and making more errors than usual.

3) I give USC a LOT of the credit for this match. Their defense (both block and back row) and offense were both humming, and their servng, especially Bricio, was lethal. (I think the Buffs had allowed 5 aces in total through the 1st 4 matches, and Bricio alone got 4 tonight, and I can't remember any of them being Buff screw-ups.)

She had 6 in the first set vs Utah and I think they were in an 8 point span

Back