1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sporting News Preview

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Goose, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I briefly mentioned this in another thread, but figured that it warrants discussion here. The Sporting News preview mag for the upcoming season has come out and it's not exactly optimistic about our Buffs. They pick us 11th in the conference ahead of only Utah. Here is the money quote:

On one level, they're right -- we have very little proven talent right now. Roberson, Dufault & Thompson are really the only guys returning that played quality minutes for us last season. But they're ignoring Brown's contributions at Utah. Adams played well at Juco. I really think this team is going to surprise people.

Other notes of interest:

Pac-12 Predictions:

1.) Arizona (#12 pre-season, #3 seed in tourney)
    2.) UCLA (#15 pre-season, #4 seed in tourney)
    3.) Cal (#23 pre-season, #6 seed in tourney)
    4.) Washington (#25 pre-season, #7 seed in tourney)
    5.) Oregon (#11 seed in tourney)
    6.) Stanford
    7.) Oregon State
    8.) USC (this is prior to Fontan's injury)
    9.) Arizona State
    10.) Washington State
    11.) Colorado
    12.) Utah

All Pac-12:

* Allen Crabbe, Cal
    * Jorge Gutierrez, Cal
    * Jared Cunningham, Oregon St
    * Terrence Ross, Washington
    * Reeves Nelson, UCLA

Also, for our Wichita State friends, they have the Shockers 2nd in the Missouri Valley Conference (behind Creighton) and a 10 seed in the tourney.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Right now, we're getting downgraded on reputation alone. To a lot of observers (including bandwagon locals), CU had a decent 1-year run due to Alec Burks. Tad is getting respect, but our talent isn't.

I think this is a team that is going to be around .500 in the Pac-12 at 10-10 (+/- 3) and have an overall winning record.

3. Goose

That'd be huge. That would put us around 18 wins and that makes us a borderline NCAA team (depending on how we play at Puerto Rico and how the Pac-12 performs overall). Looking over the Pac-12, I think it can be broken down into three different groups:

* The Top Tier (Cal, Arizona, UCLA, Wash)
    * The Middle Tier (Oregon, Oregon St, CU, Stanford, Arizona State)
    * The Bottom Tier (Utah, Washington St, USC)

I think, personally, that Oregon is the cream of the crop of that middle tier. If we can finish 6th in the conference, with a strong Pac-12 tourney run, we could be talking NCAA.

4. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Thanks for the update.

11th out of 12...didn't we crush Oregon State last year? I guess that was lost on the writers from the west coast who wrote that story. Was it Wilner?

5. ShockerHoops

ShockerHoops Well-Known Member

Pretty shocking they have you guys at 11. I know you lost scoring, but it's not like you guys should be cellar dwellers in the Pac-12.

As for the Shockers being #2 in The Valley, I can't disagree with them there. I think there are a lot of arguments for both WSU and Creighton to be #1 this year, so it's just a matter of opinion. Of course I'd like to win the conference, but if they still think we're dancing at the end of the year, that's really all that matters to me anymore.

6. Goose

Wilner wrote the Pac-12 conference article, but it doesn't mention who did the individual team bios. I would imagine it was him, but don't know for certain.

Is there anyone in the conference that will really challenge you or Creighton for the #1 spot? It seems like you guys have a lot of teams who have potential, but aren't there yet. Northern Iowa or Indiana State ready to make the leap?

BTW, along with yesterday's love from ESPN, TSN said you had the best home court advantage in the Valley. Well done. :thumbsup:

7. CUSoldier

CUSoldier New Member

We did indeed embarrass Oregon State (83-57) last year, we also beat Cal in the NIT pretty handily (89-72). I understand we lost the top four scorers from last year, but I think that the talent of the guys who are returning and Tad's coaching should count for something here.

8. Goose

That Cal game is a little deceiving. Don't get me wrong, we deserved to win, but they were without Gutierrez in the second half and he was single handedly keeping them in the game.

Honestly, I think Cal might win the conference this year.

9. ShockerHoops

ShockerHoops Well-Known Member

That's awesome, could you link me to the TSN article?

And the other two teams that should pose a threat probably would be In.St. and Mo. St. maybe even Evansville. Drake was looking good until their star sophomore was arrested for shop lifting and suspended indefinitely from their team.

10. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i don't think the Pac SOS in the RPI formula will be enough to lift an 18 win CU team on to the NCAA bubble. i think this team is a little above .500 overall. 10-10 in conference would be huge, imo. would be quite a building block. i think above .500 overall is gravy. unless Brown just goes off and Roberson goes Worm plus Derrick Coleman next season. Dufault gives us double figures. Tomlinson becomes a real 3 threat and Sharpe can create effectively off the dribble/D his guy up...etc.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  11. Goose

It was in the mag. Sorry.

Just picked up Lindy's. They too have us 11th out of 12. Say we're led by the ideal coach to lead us on the Pac-12 venture, but have to play a lot better away from Boulder to compete.

12. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Well, they do have a point. The Buffs haven't been very good on the road. Finding a way to win some of these out-of-town or neutral site games will go a long way towards being in the upper echelon of the conference.

13. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

This looks like a much weaker basketball conference overall to me. No Kansas, Texas, Kansas State, Baylor, Mizzou...

14. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This.

We're not in the Big 12 anymore. The Pac is not a murderers row like the B12 was. The competition level is a definite step down. If Burks hadn't left, we'd have to be considered one of the favorites, IMO. So one guy being gone moves us from top 3 to 11? That's whack.

15. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

In fairness, it isnt just Burks. We lost our 4 top scorers.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

16. RK

RK UBL Club Member

I honestly think we have a legit shot to win the PAC. If Carlon Brown is a stud and we get production from the point guard position we could be dangerous

17. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I like it when the teams are undervalued...makes the season that much more enjoyable when you start kicking ass!!!!