What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sports at CU.

FLounder

Most Hated Poster of the Year 2016, 2018, 2022
Club Member
I understand the section IX, with the whole women thing, but what are the specific rules to it? I thought that it was for the school to have EQUAL sports. I see though that there are 5 Co-Gender sports, 4 Women sports, and only 1 male sport. I feel this is sexist against men. Should we be allowed to offer 3 more men sports?

That being said, with the recent Pac-12 media deal and the deal from that oil bro. Why don't we add more sports? Sports that we are competitive in on a club level and could phase in right away and be good on a national level.

-Mens lacrosse team is pretty good by reaching the final four.
-Men's rugby team just won the 7 v. 7 Pac-12 championship.
-Cycling just placed 2nd at Nationals.

Personally I would enjoy Hockey. We are the University of Colorado... Colorado. Cold. Hockey. Ice. Cold.

Hockey fits our university. Hell DU has won 7 National championships from hockey. They have put more then 60 players into the NHL.
We need a sport in which we can out fund any other team. We could out fund perennial powers like DU, Minnesota-Duluth, and Boston College. The only other college that could compete would be.... Michigan. I want Buffalo Hockey.

It isn't equal sports it is equal scholarships. Football has no equivalent on the female side so they have more team sports.

Number of scholarships. Football ****s it up. So does cheer leading/dance teams.

Mike Bohn said 2-3 years ago that the next sport would be Women's Lacrosse. Guess what? The next sport is going to be Women's Lacrosse. I haven't heard him say what the next sport after that is going to be. I get the impression that he's more interested in making sure the football team is competitive again than he is about bringing on any new varsity level sports. I think that's a wise decision on his part.

It isn't equal sports it is equal scholarships. Football has no equivalent on the female side so they have more team sports.

Ohhh. Ok I understand. I would rep. but im out.

:rofl2:

Yes, we can just snap our fingers and out-fund every traditional college hockey power. You should be the AD.

I know it's already been posted but are we now in the clear to add Men's LAX or do we have to add another women's sport? (when the time comes)

We could maybe outfund the Pios - but at what cost? Would you outfund them at the expense of Football? Basketball? X-Country? Skiing? Volleyball?

Not that this is even realistically under consideration, but does CU even have a suitable hockey arena? Twenty years ago, they had a decent rink and some basic bleacher seats as I recall, but nothing major.

Not that this is even realistically under consideration, but does CU even have a suitable hockey arena? Twenty years ago, they had a decent rink and some basic bleacher seats as I recall, but nothing major.

Nope. But there is room on the South Campus. Cue in sacky rant

If hockey were going to happen, which it won't, they could play at the Broomfield Event Center until something is built - or maybe even just permanently.

If hockey were going to happen, which it won't, they could play at the Broomfield Event Center until something is built - or maybe even just permanently.
not sure about that. The BEC is constantly being used for concerts and things and it would probably be pretty expensive to constantly switch it out for practice and games, not to mention scheduling would be hell.

not sure about that. The BEC is constantly being used for concerts and things and it would probably be pretty expensive to constantly switch it out for practice and games, not to mention scheduling would be hell.

I doubt they would practice there and I'm sure they could make it work if they needed. No argument on the expensive part however. The BEC doesn't get a TON of use, so they would probably love the regular scheduling.

I know the student rec center has one and is moving it to where the outdoor tennis courts are now when rec renovations start either this fall or next spring.

All I'm saying is I love hockey and I love Colorado. Why not put the two together.

Mike Bohn said 2-3 years ago that the next sport would be Women's Lacrosse. Guess what? The next sport is going to be Women's Lacrosse. I haven't heard him say what the next sport after that is going to be. I get the impression that he's more interested in making sure the football team is competitive again than he is about bringing on any new varsity level sports. I think that's a wise decision on his part.

I had heard that he'd like to bring Men's Tennis back if competition & practice facilities could be brought up to the standards needed to win.

COLORADO

Athletic Department Expenses

$59,186,620
Men's Basketball Team Expenses$4,250,474
Women's Basketball Team Expenses$2,718,378
Football Team Expenses$16,308,544
Total Men's Team Expenses$22,634,888
Total Women's Team Expenses$8,074,572
Athletic Department Revenue$60,923,253
Men's Basketball Team Revenue$4,386,631
Women's Basketball Team Revenue$396,315
Football Team Revenue$25,955,136
Total Men's Team Revenue$30,790,604
Total Women's Team Revenue$1,164,044

DENVER

Athletic Department Expenses

$24,629,517
Men's Basketball Team Expenses$2,412,912
Women's Basketball Team Expenses$1,708,560
Football Team Expenses
Total Men's Team Expenses$9,529,948
Total Women's Team Expenses$8,603,531
Athletic Department Revenue$24,629,517
Men's Basketball Team Revenue$2,412,913
Women's Basketball Team Revenue$1,708,561
Football Team Revenue
Total Men's Team Revenue$9,529,947
Total Women's Team Revenue$8,603,532

I think we could afford Hockey. Also I'm pretty sure this doesn't even cover our media deal with the Pac-12. Add in an extra $20 million on revenue for us.

Back