What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sports at CU.

Baseball/Softball need to be the next additions. They are by far the biggest potential draws, and I think the metro area population would be pretty receptive to having those college sports around.

Baseball/Softball need to be the next additions. They are by far the biggest potential draws, and I think the metro area population would be pretty receptive to having those college sports around.

Agreed. And I'm sick of weather being used as an excuse. There are plenty of Big Ten schools that do fine, not to mention the northern Pac 12 schools. Plus with the right coach, schools can be good, quickly. Oregon just started a program a few years ago and they earned a national seed in this year's tournament.

Title IX is based on percentage of students enrolled, so the percentage of scholarships must match that - which actually most often means MORE women's scholarships than men's.

Also, keep in mind most "non-revenue," I mean Olympic sports do NOT give out complete scholarships. Cheer/Dance have very, very few (none when I was there), and soccer, tennis, golf generally give out 1/4 to 1/2 scholarships on both the men's and women's side.

As for why Women's Lacrosse was added - it's a high demographic sport and high academic sport - one of the main reasons CU wanted out of the Big 8 and Big XII and into the Pac. Most of the parents will be able to pay the difference in tuition in or out of state, and the women will be eligible for other scholarships to help offset the expenses. I grew up with the sport here - my father helped bring lacrosse as a sport to Colorado in the 60's, and the growth has been amazing. Having only one college offer it - and one that again doesn't offer full athletic scholarships and is expensive, is a barrier to keeping good academic and athletic talent in this state.

I'm not a softball person, but I think it's a wise move to add that next, though I have heard rumors of gymnastics?

Title IX is based on percentage of students enrolled, so the percentage of scholarships must match that - which actually most often means MORE women's scholarships than men's.

Also, keep in mind most "non-revenue," I mean Olympic sports do NOT give out complete scholarships. Cheer/Dance have very, very few (none when I was there), and soccer, tennis, golf generally give out 1/4 to 1/2 scholarships on both the men's and women's side.

As for why Women's Lacrosse was added - it's a high demographic sport and high academic sport - one of the main reasons CU wanted out of the Big 8 and Big XII and into the Pac. Most of the parents will be able to pay the difference in tuition in or out of state, and the women will be eligible for other scholarships to help offset the expenses. I grew up with the sport here - my father helped bring lacrosse as a sport to Colorado in the 60's, and the growth has been amazing. Having only one college offer it - and one that again doesn't offer full athletic scholarships and is expensive, is a barrier to keeping good academic and athletic talent in this state.

I'm not a softball person, but I think it's a wise move to add that next, though I have heard rumors of gymnastics?
solid first post. I'm out of rep tho. post more.

Hockey fits our university. Hell DU has won 7 National championships from hockey. They have put more then 60 players into the NHL.
We need a sport in which we can out fund any other team. We could out fund perennial powers like DU, Minnesota-Duluth, and Boston College. The only other college that could compete would be.... Michigan. I want Buffalo Hockey.

First, Coach Goz is a genius of a coach at DU and CU would need a coach like that to have a chance at the top level of college hockey ever.

Second, UMD my friend is not a perennial power in the college hockey world. Yes they are like most average programs good one year and adequate the next.

Third, why is Michigan the only other college that could compete with CU? Are Wisconsin, Minnesota, Notre Dumb, Ohio State, and Michigan State slouch hockey schools?

I would love to see hockey come to CU but i just do not see where CU can make a mark in the hockey world. We would be the 4th best team in the state for quite a long time.

I just do not get the "hockey" argument. We are in the PAC. The PAC will have it's own network. The PAC does not have hockey. However there are four PAC teams in the NCAA baseball tournament. So, my point is that the PAC network will regularly televise baseball but I doubt it would televise CU hockey.

In the last several censuses CU has had more male undergraduate students than female. That seems like a weird way to balance the scholarships since that number can change year to year.

Total Men's Team Revenue
$30,790,604
Total Women's Team Revenue
$1,164,044
Total Men's Team Expenses
$22,634,888
Total Women's Team Expenses
$8,074,572
Net (Men)
$8,155,716
Net (Women)
($6,910,528)

I just do not get the "hockey" argument. We are in the PAC. The PAC will have it's own network. The PAC does not have hockey. However there are four PAC teams in the NCAA baseball tournament. So, my point is that the PAC network will regularly televise baseball but I doubt it would televise CU hockey.

I agree, the PAC 12 doesn't have skiing either so we should drop it too!

I agree, the PAC 12 doesn't have skiing either so we should drop it too!

skiing is grandfathered in.

hockey doesn't fit the p12 profile. it is a great sport and i would love to see it at CU, but, imho, it will be a very, very long time before that happens.

baseball is more in line with the new conference, but even that would be a stretch i think.

i'd look for olympic sports adds, like the recent women's lacrosse thing. swim, waterpolo, etc. i think those are far more likely and are certainly far less expensive to add.

television programming will play a big role in this, for better or worse. the p12 network will need content. and, the b10 network's olympic sports (and women's sports in general) have far out performed expectations on ratings from what i have heard. so, when you think about bang for your buck, these types of sports are less expensive to fund but deliver content and ok ratings for the network, are more likely.

Right - I don't think any of us hockey lovers actually expect it to come to fruition.... but we like to dream

9791kb1_19.jpeg

myers2.jpg

skiing is grandfathered in.

hockey doesn't fit the p12 profile. it is a great sport and i would love to see it at CU, but, imho, it will be a very, very long time before that happens.

baseball is more in line with the new conference, but even that would be a stretch i think.

i'd look for olympic sports adds, like the recent women's lacrosse thing. swim, waterpolo, etc. i think those are far more likely and are certainly far less expensive to add.

television programming will play a big role in this, for better or worse. the p12 network will need content. and, the b10 network's olympic sports (and women's sports in general) have far out performed expectations on ratings from what i have heard. so, when you think about bang for your buck, these types of sports are less expensive to fund but deliver content and ok ratings for the network, are more likely.

I am sorry, I forgot the sarcasm font. I am 100% in favor of CU Hockey. I have had a hard time watching the Avs since the strike a few years back, Buffs Hockey would be a great replacement.

I'm sorry but i don't want to be the laughing stock of Baseball. I would rather own a sport then get killed in one.

I'm sorry, but hockey should not be at CU.

The fact that the CHL exists (and other junior leagues, although to a lesser extent) has created a system where a university like CU simply could not compete.

I know, there's the argument that DU, CC and AF have all had successful programs, but these three universities are the exception to the rule, I will state this as clearly as possible, I don't think that CU can compete in hockey. Not now, possibly not ever.

There are reasons why most players who are NHL prospects (read: high level NCAA players) end up playing juniors. Simply put, for many kids it's a much more appealing experience. You don't have all of the NCAA restrictions, you get to live with a billet, you play against players your age, you don't have all of the collegiate level studying, fighting is allowed, ect ect ect...

Kids play in the NCAA for three main reasons.

1. They care about the team. Teams like Michigan, Minnesota, BU, ect ect get top level players because they recruit local kids who grew up cheering for them.

Colorado is not an NHL pipeline state. There are like two current NHL'ers born in the state of Colorado. There are probably <10 players from Colorado on the CC and DU rosters combined. If this was say...Minnesota a program would be a lot more viable because there is a lot of talent close. Not so for Colorado.

2. They want to win. This is mainly why DU and CC compete every year, and it's that over time they have become name universities and regularly compete at the highest level of the NCAA. Prospects want to come to programs where they can win and develop under outstanding coaches (I.E. Coach Gwoz at DU).

3. They want the academic prestige. You have to realize that hockey is a very different sport with a very different culture than say, basketball or football. In FB and BB we can make a legitimate argument that Colorado is one of the better academic experiences for students in the nation.

You really can't in hockey because a lot of the players who go to universities for the academic prestige end up going to places like Harvard, Yale, Michigan, Boston, Dartmouth and Cornell (especially) ect, ect, ect... Truth be told CU would be pretty far down the list of teams in this regard. Mid-range academics aren't a selling point for CU here.

It's going to be real fun to lure high level prospects from all over the United States and Canada to come to CU.

There is a reason why there are less than 60 NCAA mens ice hockey teams in the nation, and why, other than DU, CC, AFA and Alabama Huntsville (yea, it's always been a WTF from me as well) the teams are almost exclusively in the northeast/northen midwest.

To illustrate my point.

Why exactly would good players want to come to CU over the CHL, USHL, northeastern teams, or the local powerhouses (DU, CC)?? It is immensely difficult to get into college hockey, and it is simply not a good idea. CC, DU and AFA are actually quite remarkable exceptions to the general rules of NCAA hockey.

Hockey_d1.png

Back