What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sports is turning into something that I don't like

So the image that companies are selling of these guys isn't an intricate part of the pro-sports spectacle...? Really?

Not one that interests me. I haven't argued that the way things have progressed is illogical. But I've never been particularly interested in anyone else's personal life, the latest fashion trends, or a famous person's opinion on current events or his religious beliefs. So when that stuff becomes a good part of what's discussed on sports talk shows, I find myself tuning out. I'm a sports nerd. I enjoy shows like NFL Matchup.

And if I ever bought Nike golf equipment, it would have been because of Tiger's golf game and some reviews. It wouldn't have had anything to do, one way or the other, with whether or not he was a faithful husband.

But did we always get the TMZ type reporting? I'm ok with corporatism. What I don't like is following an athlete like some folks follow movie stars and the royal family.

No we did not always have TMZ reporting - not just in sports but journalism in general. The manner in which sports coverage and fandom has changed is really reflective of our society as a whole. I too cannot stand how sports is changing, particularly college sports. It seems that everything is being driven by the dollar, and the pursuit of money is regarded as a holy rule that cannot be argued against. Morals, integrity, and the good of the entire public are ideals that are thrown out of the way, because adhering to these pursuits are not always the most financially beneficial. It's sad. So we instead have people trying their hardest to figure out the quickest way to make money or use the system, failing to fully appreciate how the system has been created by everyone doing their part for the whole, and helping the system to fail more and more often.

The above paragraph though reeks of political arguments, so I'll stop now. However, I do ask a few questions to everyone. If you don't like how athletes are covered these days, do you find it acceptable how movie stars and other celebrities are covered? What's the difference to you and why is one okay and the other bothersome? Personally, I find it deplorable how most celebrities - whether music stars, actors, athletes or any other celebrity not in public service - are glamorized, adored and followed. I understand why it exists, and can even say some of it is understandable and acceptable, even if I personally don't like it. Still, why do you love your celebrity? Who do you follow on twitter, social media, or via other means? And furthermore, how much time do you spend following others' lives as opposed to items in your own life that you truly think are more important? When I look myself in the mirror, I think the answer is that I spend way too much time on sports, and I have tried to curb my time on sports over the years. Hopefully the rest of you are better than I am in finding that balance, because the explosion of "TMZ reporting" is really reflective of people like me, like us to varying degrees.

Facebook & Twitter really brought us access to celebrities that we never imagined we would have. And it's the unwanted kind of access.

There was a day where we could get fired up for football without the internet. I miss those days to be honest with you.

While I have started to enjoy no huddle offenses and that basketball on grass style of offense, I do miss the old days of those option offenses. Beginning with NCAA Football 11 (I believe), you could place any team in any conference. When I had that game, I simply swapped CU and TCU in the Big 12 and MWC. :lol: The last few NCAA FB games have been great for me that I can imagine a time when I don't have to watch sports.

I'd say that I'm much closer to the end of watching sports and once I get new game systems, that could be it for me when it comes to sports and perhaps on this board and other boards.

I can understand people's frustrations on this board.

In the countries where rugby is big the coverage is the same or worse.

I have been moving away from pro sports gradually for years because of this exact thing. Maybe the answer is to start following levels of sport that don't get enough attention to devolve into the trivial coverage and don't generate enough money to justify the sacrifices for marketing purposes.

You will never get it completely pure, I want to puke when I see the stuff the Valor does to win at a HS level but at least you have a chance to enjoy some purity of sport with D2 football like CSU-Pueblo or Mines or basketball like Metro.

:rofl:

Back