What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

SportsCenter U: Mark Richt a candidate for Colorado head coach

I know this isn't from anyone reputable, but I like the taste of this koolaid.

Does anyone believe Richt can suffer through another 5- or 6-loss season next year and survive?

I’m not saying Georgia will lose five or six next year, but it is a possibility. Everything’s a possibility.

Richt hired a defensive coordinator this past offseason who brought in a new 3-4 scheme. He’ll need to recruit players to fit that scheme. Will Georgia fans be patient enough to wait on him to do that?

On offense, Richt has a future All-SEC quarterback in Aaron Murray, but receiver AJ Green will likely turn pro after this season. Earlier this year he said that he might “owe” UGA fans another year due to his four-game suspension, but when Green starts to hear whispers of the money he can make in the NFL, it’s a good bet he’ll leave. Green is a difference-maker on Georgia’s offense. Without him, can Mike Bobo and crew put up big points?

Richt is facing a “one more year” kind of year in Athens. Should he stay in Athens and risk a bad season? Or should he re-set his employment clock and move West?

Colorado doesn’t have a lot of cash at the moment. Richt would likely have to take a paycut from about $2.8 to $2 million per season. (Poor baby.) But the Buffs do offer a few good things:

1. Solid recruiting ground in California

2. A much easier conference (divisional foes for CU will be Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, UCLA and an NCAA-whipped Southern Cal)

3. A fresh start

Coaches — all coaches, not just Richt — should look only at the bottom line when weighing one school against another. That bottom line is time, not money.

At Georgia, Richt might have just one year left. He probably needs to win big next year or else. If canned, he would receive a nice buyout.

At Colorado, Richt would likely have three years of honeymoon before anyone ever started to complain. And with CU’s current monetary situation, it’s unlikely they could buy him out anytime soon anyway.

If Richt is prepared to roll the dice on one big year — and if he’s prepared to possibly be fired next year — then he should stay in Athens and work to fix things. But he should also realize that some fans (and columnists) will never climb back on his train regardless of what he accomplishes.

If Richt is not prepared to face unemployment, then he should pack up and head to the Pac-12.

It’s a simple question of time. Colorado can guarantee him more time as coach than Georgia can at this point.

A smart man would put his heart aside and make the move.

It would be the SEC’s loss, but Richt should get while the gettin’s good.

I know this isn't from anyone reputable, but I like the taste of this koolaid.

Historically speaking he could perennially suck hind tit on a boar hog and have nearly five years before being asked to leave Dal Ward.

It's not as if there won't be HC jobs next year should he get fired then. I can think of $10MM (this year plus 7MM) on why he wouldn't want to step down right now. Along with Miles, the only shot we have is they are too tired of putting up with the SEC fanbase.

Richt was a good coach, not great. Once he left, GA became a top 3 program and recruiting significantly improved. Throw in age and health concerns, that would be a big no.

Richt was a good coach, not great. Once he left, GA became a top 3 program and recruiting significantly improved. Throw in age and health concerns, that would be a big no.
Didn’t he win two SEC championships?

Didn’t he win two SEC championships?
I don't get your argument. GA has significantly improved across the board since Richt left, to include a National Championship, supplanting Alabama as the top recruiting program as well as record players drafted in the 1st round. Richt was a good coach, not a great coach.

I don't get your argument. GA has significantly improved across the board since Richt left, to include a National Championship, supplanting Alabama as the top recruiting program as well as record players drafted in the 1st round. Richt was a good coach, not a great coach.
Richt is very similar to Sark. Amazing QB coach, great but short of elite as an OC, and a good HC.

I think he'd do a fine job at CU. Hard to argue with a guy who never missed a bowl game in 19 years as a HC.

But we're not hiring a 62 year old coach who has been out of the game for 4 years, suffered a serious heart attack and is battling Parkinson's, but still a step up from HCKD.
fify.

Oh no! A good coach?!?!?!?!?!?

we can’t be going after a good coach this time. Only great coaches

and with records like this in the SEC, I can only assume he’s a decent coach at best.24A4B8CB-8B2B-494C-9EA6-2CE8CA5A4E46.jpeg

Last edited:
**** getting right would be a gift from the universe. if we could even pull a few tier 2 or 3 guys out of sec territory we would be in good shape out here. win some games, go bowling, maybe get everyone engaged and donating again...

but, we can't have nice things.

Back