1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring Ball Baby !

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by chipwich, Mar 12, 2007.

1. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Let the QB competition begin !

:dance:

2. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

And the RB, CB, S, WR competition begin as well.

I was at a dinner with the coaching staff Saturday night, they said that all three WRs are expected to come in and compete for immediate PT. While this probably does not come as a surprise to anyone, it certainly speaks to what they think they have on the roster at WR currently. Assuming the freshmen WRs adjust to college life and pick up the playbook, they will all play this seson.

3. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

True that. But the QB battle is the one that intrigues me the most.

I hope we can get some playmaker WR's on the field this year and that someone can get them the ball. It was downright painful watching our passing game last year.

4. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

Don't expect for a winner to be declared in the QB battle by the end of spring. Sounds like Hawk wants to keep them hungry all summer long...

(from the camera)

"I kind of hate this whole comfort thing of saying this is definitely the guy," Hawkins said. "How do you just tell somebody at the end of spring ball 'You're the starter. Like I'm guaranteed to start against Colorado State?'

"I don't know. Let's see what happens in the summer, let's see what happens in the scrimmages. You want somebody that kind of has an edge, but I want all those guys to be telling themselves, 'If I don't have a good summer, I might not be the guy.'"

Position battles

5. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Did I read that there will be FOUR scrimmages this spring??

There should be plenty of time for the QB's to show their stuff, provided we have any OL left by the time the spring game rolls around.

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I hear what Hawk is saying, but I also think that we were hurt badly last year by the fact that our starter wasn't picked until two weeks before the first game. And then it turned out we had chosen the wrong guy. If, on the other hand, they had come out and said after Spring drills that B-Jax was the guy, and given him the majority of reps in Fall practice, I think he would have done much better during the course of the year.

7. SJBuff

I think a starter will emerge over the spring a summer. He may not get named "the starter" until after fall camp but I have a feeling one of the guys is going to rise above the rest and everyone will know "that's the guy". I just hope our Oline can stay healthy enough to keep "the starter" out of the ER...

8. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

:yeahthat:

amazing. 7 bodies (from what i read) are available for spring practice on the O line? :wtf: :sad2:

imo, there are two stories here. the positive one is that this group will have all spring to work together, build, learn about eachother ect, ect, ect... for next year. this may lead to a good starting group. providing they stay healthy.

the bad is there is no depth, as we are all painfully aware (as i point out the obvious). :huh:

also, gonna be one hell of a spring game. where is the 2nd team O line? kinda looking like they are still in high school....:cry:

9. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

At least we will be able to see how all of the various defensive teams can do against the same line. Of course, those boys better be in shape.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  10. SJBuff

Not to make matters worse but we have a new Oline coach this year (again!). I expect there will be some growing pains with that too (getting a feel for the coach, terminology, technique, etc.).

11. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

the gold helmets were shining in the Colorado sun on the practice field this afternoon. i stopped by for about 5 minutes on the way home.

a beautiful sight.

12. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I don't think Hawk had any idea who the QB was going to be last spring. He wasn't in a position to choose. Everybody figured it'd be White. If not him, then Cox. BJ kind of fell into it.

13. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

Well - then it isn't a bad time to have so few players. They should have plenty of time to work in the system this spring :smile2:

Just hope Dizon and Sippili take it easy on them or we are in a world of hurt.

14. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Mark Sanchez was there. I guess he is friends with WR Scotty McKnight.

15. Sexton Hardcastle

Herrod is huge. He's going to be a force.
    [​IMG]

16. Hank

Hank Well-Known Member

Maybe we should hope Mustain ends up at USC. :huh:

17. Sexton Hardcastle

Are any allbuff members attending spring practices?

18. Sexton Hardcastle

I think thursday the buffs will be in full gear. Anyone going? I wouldn't mind talking some buffs football face to face with an allbuffer. Just look for the guy in the black hat that says colorado in old english in the back.:thumbsup:

19. Sexton Hardcastle

Thursday Practice Thoughts

Just got back from practice. Helmets and shoulder pads. But they were still hitting pretty good at times. The difference between this years spring ball compared to last year is HUGE. The guys look bigger, faster and alot more confident out there. Bernard wasn't out there with the QB's today. It was a very spirited practice today. The guys were going hard out there. Marquez Herrod was in street clothes. Mason also came down. He talked to some of the reporters about the combine and CU's pro day. I'm not sure what he'll do. Even if he kicks people will still say it only because of the altitude. Sipili looks like a stud. He's pretty quick out there. I can't wait untill they start hitting.

20. Highflyer

Thanks for the report!

21. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

Re: Thursday Practice Thoughts

I agree - Sipilli is a stud and was an awesome recruit last year.

I am very anxious to see what Herrod can do. The kid has character and I am pulling for him to find success.

22. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Did I read that correctly??

Bernard [Jackson] not with the QB's today? Was he at practice at all?

23. Highflyer

That was yesterday, and he was not at practice. He was excused from practice to finish a big paper.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  24. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Oh, that's what they say, but we all know he really wasn't there because Hawk is handing the job to Cody on a silver platter and BJax isn't being allowed to throw in practice and Hawk didn't want him around because he's so good just standing on the sideline that it was ****ing up his plan to annoint Cody the starter for the next 4 years... :lol: :lol:

Or something like that...

25. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Sounds like you got it right there BC, err, Junc.

26. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

are you trying to start something Junk?

27. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Who? Me?? :smile2:

28. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

Maybe I need to send a live crock to settle you down?

29. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

He's a friggin accountant, he's used to "crock".:smile2:

30. Sexton Hardcastle

Went to the scrimmage. Nothing huge to report. they did some 7on7 then they had 11on 11. Looked more like a practice than a scrimmage. Is it just me or does Nick Nelson never look off anyone? The kid drops back and only focuses on one reciever the whole time. Wheatley was limited. Didn't see Nonu out there at all. Early in the practice Ryan Walters headed to the locker room. I'm not sure what happened. He wasn't limping or anything. I noticed he came out later without pads on. I hope he can stay healthy. He's an awesome player. McKay and PWilliams got into a small scuffle on the field. It was broken up quickly. Daniel Sanders is in limited action because of a bruised kneecap. Hit of the day came during hitting drills. Lionel Harris just unloaded on someone(forgot who it was). It was awesome. Hugh had a tough day out there imo. Some dropped passes. But overall it was nice seeing them in full gear. There were alot of recruits there for the junior day CU was holding. Didn't notice Landry though. Jarrell Yates was limping a little out there today. Looked like his ankle. But I don't think its anything serious. Sipili continues to impress me. He had a sack and batted down a pass at the los.
    Here is an article on the scrimmage from cubuffs.com
    http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=828501