What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Football News

If your best hope for the next three seasons is in the 2016 season and you fail to capitalize on that team by making a bowl, do you really want to keep the same coach to try and conduct another rebuild when he failed the first one?

You don't think that incremental improvement in wins (1) and a big leap in recruiting could save his job? If this evidence is his communications with boosters then I would take that with a grain of salt.
No, I don't. Not to mention he has not shown anywhere near the ability to make that recruiting leap. Improvement to mediocrity I see. Improvement to top in the pac 12 levels? Impossible.

No, I don't. Not to mention he has not shown anywhere near the ability to make that recruiting leap. Improvement to mediocrity I see. Improvement to top in the pac 12 levels? Impossible.

I said it was unlikely to happen without a winning season but I could also see it saving his job if it happened.

I think what all of them are saying is that they have evidence, that they can't show you. Saying as much as they can without actually saying it.
This makes me laugh. The scuttlebutt on the coaching situation at CU is classified information?
200.gif

Can't wait for this off-season argument to repeat itself over and over and over again for the next 7 and a half months.

There's a whole lot of definitive statements being thrown around which makes me wonder if there is some inside info that the rest of us don't know about. If it's nothing more than reading between the lines from the latest AD update, I'd be cautious of making any conclusions based on what was said there.
Sure. All the "evidence" is either empirical, hearsay or conjecture. But what do we have?
  • RG said, before the 2014 season, that he expected to go to a bowl game. I'm sure he knew that was unrealistic
  • Expecting to go to a bowl game in 2015 was less unrealistic. A bowl in 2016 must be an expectation
  • Word was he was visibly upset after the Utah loss
  • He is trying to raise money for the improvements. That's hard to do when you are losing
  • The 2016 class is senior laden. A drop off could be expected in 2017
  • Our future schedule is reliant on a highly competitive program
  • RG handed Mac one of the best facilities in the nation
  • Given the facilities and commitment from the administration, the HC job at Colorado is more marketable
  • After next year, buyouts will be less
  • I assume the big donors are getting antsy

And now we are assigning random percentages to probabilities. Welcome to Allbuffs, where we talk out our ass all the time but sound really authoritative while doing it.

It's totally laughable that people here make such line in the sand declarations.

• The reality is that we have underperforming coach that inherited a lack of talent and failed to start improve upon that talent until this class.
  • The reality is that we have an AD that continues to be accommodative and support that coach and has made no public statements that could be viewed as a threat to the coaches tenure.
  • The reality is that the metric for continuing or ending tenure is not publicly defined.

Deduce from the above however you like.

Rick George has actually been pretty clear with the goals of the department. If anything, MM is the skittish one when it comes to goals.

I have heard from multiple people that it's pretty clear around the department that the expectation is to go to a bowl game this year and job security will hinge on meeting expectation. Veteran team. Year 4. It's pretty clear. If you can't win half your games by that point, you didn't get the job done.

I don't know that it's some "hot seat ultimatum" type thing. There's a ton of support from RG with Lance Carl in daily communication with HCMM. It's simply that CU will not accept having a bad football team and it is time to win. RG and LC believe that the team will win this year. So does HCMM. There's no reason for it not to win.

So can we have the same expectation as fans and not look for reasons to excuse a 5-win or less season? Bowl game or it's a failure. Period.

I have heard from multiple people that it's pretty clear around the department that the expectation is to go to a bowl game this year and job security will hinge on meeting expectation. Veteran team. Year 4. It's pretty clear. If you can't win half your games by that point, you didn't get the job done.

I don't know that it's some "hot seat ultimatum" type thing. There's a ton of support from RG with Lance Carl in daily communication with HCMM. It's simply that CU will not accept having a bad football team and it is time to win. RG and LC believe that the team will win this year. So does HCMM. There's no reason for it not to win.

So can we have the same expectation as fans and not look for reasons to excuse a 5-win or less season? Bowl game or it's a failure. Period.
To be clear... I never made excuses for the team not making a bowl game. I simply expressed my thoughts on the incremental hiring of legitimate coaches year by year, and my assumption that a conversation was had about job security going into this HC's 4th year and being on the hot seat.

Again, MM made it a goal to make a bowl game in 2015. Do some of you think he is going to go backwards on that goal in 2016? RG doesn't need to say anything.

And now we are assigning random percentages to probabilities. Welcome to Allbuffs, where we talk out our ass all the time but sound really authoritative while doing it.
They are saying what they think. Maybe they have inside info they can't talk about, maybe they don't. You are saying what you think. But this trying to keep telling them they are wrong?

Don't go full 'Tini dude.

Sure. All the "evidence" is either empirical, hearsay or conjecture. But what do we have?
  • RG said, before the 2014 season, that he expected to go to a bowl game. I'm sure he knew that was unrealistic
  • Expecting to go to a bowl game in 2015 was less unrealistic. A bowl in 2016 must be an expectation
  • Word was he was visibly upset after the Utah loss
  • He is trying to raise money for the improvements. That's hard to do when you are losing
  • The 2016 class is senior laden. A drop off could be expected in 2017
  • Our future schedule is reliant on a highly competitive program
  • RG handed Mac one of the best facilities in the nation
  • Given the facilities and commitment from the administration, the HC job at Colorado is more marketable
  • After next year, buyouts will be less
  • I assume the big donors are getting antsy
Another thing, football programs are built on fans, and we've all read on this site that many have dropped season tickets or at least pay less attention - the games are no longer a priority. The program will continue to lose fans if the mediocrity forever cry of many of you is heeded, and you're kidding yourself if you think lauding improvements in point differential is anything less than acceptance of mediocrity.

Yeah. I think RG likes Mac and really wants him to succeed for a lot of reasons. A successful Mac is what most of us want. They say a good manager does not set up his subordinates to fail. RG has given Mac everything possible to succeed. All of this discussion is based on Mac failing. I don't believe "failing" is in Mac's or RG's thoughts or whatever. So, in other words, I don't believe RG has a "plan" in place for if/when Mac fails because failure isn't an option.

Yeah. I think RG likes Mac and really wants him to succeed for a lot of reasons. A successful Mac is what most of us want. They say a good manager does not set up his subordinates to fail. RG has given Mac everything possible to succeed. All of this discussion is based on Mac failing. I don't believe "failing" is in Mac's or RG's thoughts or whatever. So, in other words, I don't believe RG has a "plan" in place for if/when Mac fails because failure isn't an option.

RGs tone publicly does not belie a threat to MMs immediate future. The successful hires of new staff, given the inability to offer the security of a multi year contract, also suggests front office support. Chiv in particular didnt have to come here.

As the former recruiting coordinator I suspect our AD realizes the hole were in is both deep and wide and not easily repaired. There are no short term fixes to this situation. Just because you fire everyone doesn't mean the next guy can fix it. In fact I think its around the 4th hire where things work out. But now you have an AD that has yet to make his first hire. I think RG thinks he's got a good coach, perhaps not a great coach, but a good one and one he can enable. I think he is and is going to continue to be cautious versus aggressive. I think the hires we've made demonstrate to the outside world that we have started taking football seriously again and sets us up to make a better hire someday. If the staff is reshaped into a much more capable and talent rich unit, as it appears to be, its also easier for RG to tap into these folks down the road, when the time comes.

What disappoints me most is MMs retention of staff and that two recruiting cycles passed without changing it. I see a trajectory that suggests change is afoot and were slowly heading in the right direction if this class shapes up to be what its starting to look like. That gives me pause to fire him when he seems to be correcting. That said, sooner or later he's going to run out of 1 win in conference seasons.

Last edited:
RG said, two seasons ago, that his expectation was to make a bowl game. He's trying to sell this program to boosters. He's trying to raise $105 million plus. Not making a bowl game would make for a very difficult sell. We are a much more desireable job than we were after Embree. We will be an experienced team next year and will lose much of that experience in '17. Alparently RG was visibly and vocally upset after the Utah loss. All of this adds up to Mac being released if he does not get us to a bowl game.
This is the crux of the matter. Fans are leaving in droves - some of you say that everyone who will leave is already gone. I do not agree. Rick George has to turn around the perception of the CU football program in the public's eye if MacIntyre does not do it on the field.

I don't know if RG has decided Mac needs to make a bowl to save his job, but I suspect there are a lot of fans out there (myself included) who would be beating the drum big time for a change if he doesn't.

Lose big
Lose small
Lose smaller
Lose even smaller...

Can't wait for this off-season argument to repeat itself over and over and over again for the next 7 and a half months.

This sentiment is behind my daily movie poop thread. As long as the discussion is ****ty, it might as well be about ****.

ROTFLMAO! This board, authoritative???? Again, ROTFLMAO! Any board the keeps allowing a douche like slider to post, ain't close to sounding "authoritative".

Back