What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Forward

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

[h=2]Spring Forward[/h]Note: Spring Practices begin March 7th. New Colorado head coach Mike MacIntyre has made it clear that he is entering spring drills with an open mind, and each starting position is an open battle. In anticipation of the opening of the Mac-2 era, we’ll be taking a look at the CU depth chart, and where some of the more interesting position battles may be taking place.
First up: Quarterbacks
[h=3]Quarterbacks[/h]Spring Roster (note: class designations are for this fall): Jordan Webb (Sr.); Nick Hirschman (Jr.); Connor Wood (Jr.); Stevie Joe Dorman (So.); John Schrock (So.*walk-on); Shane Dillon (R-Fr.)
Class of 2013: Sefo Liufau
Time for a little Jeopardy …
Answer: CU quarterbacks.
Question: What position has way too many scholarship players, yet may not have the starter in camp this March?
Colorado has, with the addition of incoming freshman Sefo Liufau this fall, six scholarship quarterbacks on the roster. That in an of itself is an issue, especially for a team with depth issues at defensive line and linebacker. Add to that the fact that the Buffs’ potential long-term solution, Sefo Liufau, will not even take a snap with his team in an organized practice until August, and you get a position where some dead wook may have to be cut by the end of May.
Still, new offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren is not yet ready to make any cuts. “This is the most I’ve seen or been around . . . it’s a lot for guys who play only one position,” Lindgren told cubuffs.com. “But it’s not like we’re going to get rid of any of them.”
Lindgren told B.G. Brooks that has met with each of his quarterbacks*”a handful of times” and “watched a little tape from last year.”*He will refrain from making any evaluations, though, public or otherwise, until he gets more acquainted with each and sees them in spring drills.
“I’m starting fresh with those guys and that’s what I told them,” he said. “It’s a new beginning for all of them, a chance for them to prove themselves. I’m going into it with an open mind in starting the evaluation process.”
Spring drills begin on March 7, and the Buffs will have eight of their 15 practices prior to spring break (March 26-30). During the off week Lindgren hopes to further the*quarterback evaluation process and arrive at a preliminary decision of who might be his top two or three starting candidates.
“I’m hoping at that point to be able to narrow it down a little bit, not necessarily make a decision, but narrow it down and start getting more reps for some of those guys,” he said.
The favorite to be the leading candidate coming out of spring practices is red-shirt freshman Shane Dillon. Senior Jordan Webb and junior Nick Hirschman saw the majority of playing time in CU’s dismal 2012 season, with Dillon getting rave reviews for his work on the scout team.
For his part, Dillon feels up to the challenge.
“I have been ready to lead these guys since the day I set foot on campus” Dillon told CU at the Game. “Having to red-shirt this fall was tough at first for me, because I was struggling with my shoulder and was not able to compete in fall camp. After a couple weeks however, I realized that red-shirting was the best thing I could have done. It gave me a chance to really build a relationship with P-Rich because he was right beside me with his knee. It also gave me a chance to settle in and get comfortable with the rest of the team. The best thing about it though is, my arm is now stronger than what it was before, and my confidence about this team and the guys we have coming back on both sides of the ball is through the roof. You are going to see a different Buffalo team next year on offense. I can promise you that and people should start getting excited”.
The excitement about Dillon has been tempered, though, by the realization by Buff fans that, just a year ago, everyone was excited about the emergence of Connor Wood, who did great things with the scout team during the fall of 2011, but was never a factor in the race for starting quarterback come the fall of 2012.
And for those who believe that Sefo Liufau will take over the role in Fall Camp, regardless of what happens this spring, there is this little piece of trivia. In 123 years of college football at the University of Colorado, no true freshman has started at quarterback in the season opener …

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

(-) JW due to college starts; May the best man wins!!
Before they were Buffs!!!
HS national rank F/S & HS rec per maxprep
................. Fresh......Senior...........HS rec.
Nick ..............717......1,060...........30-7.rec
Connor......10,892......5,855............23-12.rec
Stevie ......12,575......2,778............23-11.rec
Shane.........2,648......2,857............23-14.rec
Sefo...........5,178.........261............34-5.rec

Back