What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Game - Mike Bohn, Where are you?

I also was in Austin in 94 and 01 for the games....and, the Big 12 championship in 01 at Texas Stadium. There is no reason we are not in the same category with UT and the other large public universities when it comes to success in athletics....to suggest anything less is a defeatist attitude.

It is a complete cop-out to say we cannot compete with these d-bags.....

Success in athletics and success in football attendance are two wildly different things. CU can be successful in Big 12 athletics. We can be successful in football, but we will always be facing a disadvantage when it comes to fan support. That's not a cop out, it's a fact.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to sellout every year and sellout the Spring game, but bear in mind we're talking about selling out a 54,000 seat stadium. UT's stadium is about to expanded to 92,000+. If you expect CU to compete in that respect, I can't help you.

Success in athletics and success in football attendance are two wildly different things. CU can be successful in Big 12 athletics. We can be successful in football, but we will always be facing a disadvantage when it comes to fan support. That's not a cop out, it's a fact.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to sellout every year and sellout the Spring game, but bear in mind we're talking about selling out a 54,000 seat stadium. UT's stadium is about to expanded to 92,000+. If you expect CU to compete in that respect, I can't help you.
I don't follow...how can we not sellout 54K? Agreed, we cannot sellout a stadium that does not exist in Boulder (92K seats), but a frickin free event for 54K people.....?

I am ready to throw in the towel (as should Bohn, Hawk, and Mac) if this cannot be accomplished.....

I also was in Austin in 94 and 01 for the games....and, the Big 12 championship in 01 at Texas Stadium. There is no reason we are not in the same category with UT and the other large public universities when it comes to success in athletics....to suggest anything less is a defeatist attitude.

It is a complete cop-out to say we cannot compete with these d-bags.....

well then, explain to me why we dont have the attendance they have? why dont we have the facilities, donations, recruits they have?

its easy. CU is rebuilding. its simple as that. and even when CU was at its best, they still could not match texas, michigan, FSU and others in terms of fan support or donations.

its not a question of being better than them on a spring saturday for an intersquad game. when CU was beating Texas, kNu, OU and others of similar stature in the late 80's and early 90's, it was not because CU had the best fan support in the nation. it was not because CU had the best facilities.

it was because, despite those dissadvantages, CU put a team on the field that kicked ass. it had nothing to do with how many people showed up for the spring game.

im not defeatist in anything. i believe, just as Mac did in the '80's that CU can do it again.

i also believe that with winning, we will see what you and i want. a packed folsom for a spring ball game.

as you said, texas is not better than CU. that much is true. but, what is also true is that CU is not on the same footing as texas. over time, i hope that will change.

not one thing about that is defeatist nor conceeding anything to any other program out there. quite frankly, if CU can go in a kick ass against the Texas, Michigans, Miamis, Penn St's, Ohio St's ect of the world on a smaller budget, im all for it. i would laugh my ass off!!!!

**** 'em!!!

:gobuffs:

Boulder just isn't a football town. Even with Denver close by. It sucks but its the truth.:sad1:

How about that syko. That statement came from sunshine pumper #1. :smile2: AKA "the president of the Mike Bohn fan club".:lol:

I don't follow...how can we not sellout 54K? Agreed, we cannot sellout a stadium that does not exist in Boulder (92K seats), but a frickin free event for 54K people.....?

I am ready to throw in the towel (as should Bohn, Hawk, and Mac) if this cannot be accomplished.....

I think someday it could be possible, but certainly not this year. Building/maintaining a strong football program at CU is not an easy task. It is not impossible, but it won't overnight either.

There is no reason we can't gradually work toward goals though.

Sorry - I know you guys are debating another topic, but do they normally have a portion before or after the scrimmage where fans can maybe mingle with players/coaches? ie. get an autograph or give em a high-five or something? I'm gonna get the youngins I mentioned before some Buffs jersey's, and I think it would be awesome if I could get them signed by a few players.

Yes. Most of the players stay on the field for autographs after the game. I think the kids can stretch out with the buffs before the game also.

Im coming, brining my 5 year old nephew and 3 year old niece.

Both are the children of Ram alums - but I have already converted them to the Buffs! They're gonna have a blast with their Uncle! :smile:

Good stuff, my 3 year old nephew(his mom UCLA alum) is being brainwashed by us. When I tickle him, the only way i will stop is if he says...Go Buffs(Bupps), Joe Bruin sucks

I'm with Dallas Buff on this deal. Expect great things and work to achieve those goals. CU is the third largest school in the Big 12. That's right, CU is bigger than OU, NU, Missouri, KU... Only UT and A&M have larger student populations. That's where it all begins. There are more CU alumni in the state of Colorado than any other college or university. These folks have been ignored for years, but I believe that the school is doing a better job of reconnecting with them now.

I'm going to be at the Sping game along with my wife, daughter, mother in law, father in law and probably my father as well. I know about 10 other folks who have said they'd be at the game.

I'll be frank - I freaking hate it when I hear people say "Boulder isn't a football town" or "CU isn't UT and it never will be". What a load of crap. WHY THE HELL NOT? It is what we, as fans and alumni and supporters make it. I'll never buy the excuse that there's just too much other stuff to do in Boulder. Garbage. That's a cop-out. Take it upon yourself to generate excitement with people who might not have had any before.

I'm with Dallas Buff on this deal. Expect great things and work to achieve those goals. CU is the third largest school in the Big 12. That's right, CU is bigger than OU, NU, Missouri, KU... Only UT and A&M have larger student populations. That's where it all begins. There are more CU alumni in the state of Colorado than any other college or university. These folks have been ignored for years, but I believe that the school is doing a better job of reconnecting with them now.

I'm going to be at the Sping game along with my wife, daughter, mother in law, father in law and probably my father as well. I know about 10 other folks who have said they'd be at the game.

I'll be frank - I freaking hate it when I hear people say "Boulder isn't a football town" or "CU isn't UT and it never will be". What a load of crap. WHY THE HELL NOT? It is what we, as fans and alumni and supporters make it. I'll never buy the excuse that there's just too much other stuff to do in Boulder. Garbage. That's a cop-out. Take it upon yourself to generate excitement with people who might not have had any before.

I think part of the debate was it seemed like DallasBuff was expecting a packed Folsom for the Spring game this year. You can talk all you want about big goals and expecting great things, but we have to work to that point because we're not anywhere near that level right now.

As far as comparing CU to schools like UT and A&M, it's not defeatist to say we'll never be them, it's being realistic. For one, both of those schools have enrollments significantly larger than us. That is not going to change anytime soon, and probably not ever. Second, both of those schools have much bigger stadiums. We talk about selling out a 54K seat Folsom here while they're trying to sellout stadiums near 90K. Do you really think we are ever going to be at the point where CU has a 90K stadium?

We need to improve our fanbase. No doubt about it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be realistic either.

Again...how are we different from UT? I think we rank ok with their programs.

Besides the fact that UT is the 2nd largest public University in the US and has twice the enrollment of CU and also located in Austin, a city that has 8 times the population of Boulder and has a stadium that holds nearly twice what Folsom does?

Hmm... not much else.

Seriously, we are competitive (IMHO) with UT in everything except sheer size.

I think it will be a record turnout for the spring game this year provided the weather is good. I think the fan base is growing in the state again, and while we didn't have sellouts last year, we did have good attendance in all the home games except for Miami, OH. The spring game should always have big crowds. I don't think it will be filled, but larger than normal.

My guess is we land around 20,000. But, they should sell this as the first opportunity for fans to meet Darrell Scott. That is if he can make it, but imo that would be a good selling point.

I think part of the debate was it seemed like DallasBuff was expecting a packed Folsom for the Spring game this year. You can talk all you want about big goals and expecting great things, but we have to work to that point because we're not anywhere near that level right now.

right. exactly what i was addressing. i never said CU cant be there. i dont believe that. i think it can happen at CU. it may take 5 to 10 years but, it can be done.

As far as comparing CU to schools like UT and A&M, it's not defeatist to say we'll never be them, it's being realistic. For one, both of those schools have enrollments significantly larger than us. That is not going to change anytime soon, and probably not ever. Second, both of those schools have much bigger stadiums. We talk about selling out a 54K seat Folsom here while they're trying to sellout stadiums near 90K. Do you really think we are ever going to be at the point where CU has a 90K stadium?

We need to improve our fanbase. No doubt about it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be realistic either.

if CU wins enough. sure. i can see a 90k folsom. its gonna be a funky looking stadium but, for the sake of arguement, yes. most likely, given the natural limits with the surroundings of folsom, my guess is that an 80k stadium is a streach. probably be looking at something in the lower to mid 70's. nothing wrong with that.

if CU wins enough. sure. i can see a 90k folsom. its gonna be a funky looking stadium but, for the sake of arguement, yes. most likely, given the natural limits with the surroundings of folsom, my guess is that an 80k stadium is a streach. probably be looking at something in the lower to mid 70's. nothing wrong with that.

A bigger Folsom would be awesome. Hope it happens at some point.

If Maiava proves out it will fill the seats for spring game.

who wouldn't want to see a 280 lb FB pulverizing anything in his way. and from what i saw at practise today, he can also catch.

Back